Gransnet forums

Care & carers

This really beggars belief!

(42 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 10-Sep-12 19:31:50

I had a phone call from my mum's care home this morning telling me she had toothache. Mum then told me on the phone that it was her jaw that hurt so I suspected a dental abscess. As DD1 was on her way to visit mum I asked her to investigate and phone me back. DD asked mum to remove her denture (she just has a few teeth missing on the bottom). Mum needed a bit of help and when the denture came out my poor DD thought she had pulled a couple of mum's teeth out with it. This was because the denture hasn't been removed for so long the calcium deposit which had built up underneath actually looked like a couple of teeth which were digging into mum's gum. She must have been in agony for ages. We were worried that she wasn't eating......no bloody wonder!!
The doctor visited and thankfully there is no infection but I'm absolutely furious especially as, when questioned, the carers all said they didn't realise mum had dentures. This is absolute nonsense of course as it's mentioned in her folder.
It seems that just getting by with the bare minimum of care will do now. angry

merlotgran Fri 14-Sep-12 22:22:16

Thank you and flowers for all of you.

Grannybug Thu 13-Sep-12 22:54:37

Agree bikergran
The thing that pains me the most is the trust placed in carer's to actually care about the vulnerable people they look after and support. So often profit comes before people in care homes and staff recruitment is of a very low standard. Good care requires good management and putting people first. I wish you well merlot as you keep a watchful eye on the care your mother receives and hope she regains her appetite and strength . flowers

bikergran Thu 13-Sep-12 22:06:44

Hello merlot just read your post, and hope things start to improve with you and your mum, sometimes we think that complaining will make matters worse, but I think you have done the right thing as now you can log and keep any notes etc and they will know that a watchfull eye is being kept, I do think that when we "don't" complain then these people think "oh well no ones complaining" so they just carry on doing or not doing until some one does complain!

Ella46 Wed 12-Sep-12 22:04:02

merlot Well done, your mum must feel more comfortable now.

glassortwo Wed 12-Sep-12 21:22:24

merlot good for you flowers your Mum and the other residents will benefit from your stand.

Nanadogsbody Wed 12-Sep-12 19:58:57

Well done Merlot things ought to improve now. However do keep a written record of everything that's happened. You should sleep better tonight.

soop Wed 12-Sep-12 18:16:52

merlotgran It appears that your concerns are being listened to at long last. Your mother's welfare must surely benefit from hereon. Well done for making a fuss and sticking to your guns. It's so sad that anyone has to suffer neglect. I hope that you are beginning to feel a little better. You've done so well. flowers

JO4 Wed 12-Sep-12 18:15:12

That is good merlotgran. Well done.

Hope your mum perks up soon.

janeainsworth Wed 12-Sep-12 17:49:40

Well done merlot
I hope you can feel now that not only have you done your very best for your mum, but the other residents will benefit too flowers
Just one thing to mention in case you don't know already.
The tartar deposits on the denture won't come off just with brushing - It would have to be scraped off or removed ultrasonically, like a hygienist does with natural teeth.
You should be able to tell that they look cleaner, but don't expect the tartar to come off as well.

Anagram Wed 12-Sep-12 17:47:27

That's good news, merlot -at least they know you're on to them now and will hopefully make sure your mother is getting the proper care. What's so worrying and frustrating is that you had to go to those lengths to get anything done!

merlotgran Wed 12-Sep-12 17:39:59

Things have improved a bit today. I have had an apology from the care manager (I should jolly well think so) and a dental hygiene procedure has been put in place. The carers have to log whenever they remove mum's teeth, soak them, replace them etc. Mind you, they can write anything they like in the report book and I wouldn't know if it's true but it seems to be a step in the right direction.
Poor mum is still looking very pale and tired but managed to eat lunch and was perkier by the time I left.
Social services have asked me to contact them if I have any further concerns - Don't worry, I will grin

Thanks to all GNetters for your support which was much appreciated.

kittylester Tue 11-Sep-12 21:47:46

Most NHS dentists now don't have a contract that allows domiciliary visits but lots of PCTs have dentists with such a contract. You need to contact your PCT's Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS, or in our area Customer Services!!). If they don't have any dentists with such a contract, they should be able to put you into contact with the local Community Dental Service who should be able to come out and check your mum and arrange transport should she need to go to the surgery.

At least that is how it works in Leicestershire County and Rutland PCT.

Some homes have a visiting dentist and some leave it up to the relatives to arrange.

baublesbanglesandb Tue 11-Sep-12 21:03:29

merlotgran I was filled with horror as I read your post, I'm thinking of you shock

annsixty Tue 11-Sep-12 20:42:54

I,m sure you won't have an easy night thinking of tomorrow but the best of luck and remember you are doing it for your Mother

Nanadogsbody Tue 11-Sep-12 20:32:46

Good on younMerlot ..go get 'em. How dare they treat your complaint like this. So unprofessional.

JO4 Tue 11-Sep-12 19:40:49

Well done for ringing social services merlotgran. Hopefully you will be helping others in the home as well as your mother.

Yes, I too wondered whether they have a dentist visiting at all, or take their charges to the dentist's surgery for checks.

Elegran Tue 11-Sep-12 19:32:32

merlot could you arrange for a dentist to pay her "home visits" at intervals to check her mouth? Perhaps the dentist she got the dentures from still has her on his/her books. She should surely be entitled to the same attention and check-ups on the NHS as someone living in their own home.

And show the dentist your photographs before they go in.

soop Tue 11-Sep-12 18:20:06

Merlotgran Try to relax. I know that you must be awfully wound up inside. You need to take care of your own health, too. flowers

merlotgran Tue 11-Sep-12 18:10:08

Thanks, everyone for all your support. It really helps to be able to let off steam. Someone from social services is going in tomorrow to ask questions. I couldn't relax when I got home today as I was so steamed up so I rang them and spoke to a lady who has been very helpful in the past. She's as worried as I am that 'end of life care' is going to turn into 'end of life neglect'.
I'll be back in there tomorrow as well!!

soop Tue 11-Sep-12 16:04:07

merlotgran Had I been in your shoes, the "rolling of the eyes" would have been the final straw. I would possibly have been taken away in a straight jacket, which would have matters ten times worse. Your mother, in fact every patient, deserves so much better. I admire your restraint. Keep that camera handy.

Movedalot Tue 11-Sep-12 15:55:25

I can't add anything but my sympathy to what has already been said Merlot this is such a sad story.

merlotgran Tue 11-Sep-12 15:25:03

I had a meeting with the new manager today. She called in the head carer who gave me look of.....Not YOU again. I was told that mum takes her denture out herself at night when they sit her at the sink, rinses it under the tap and puts it back in. I could barely control my anger. The thought of a confused old lady attempting some sort of dental hygiene while those who are supposed to be caring for her stand around doing nothing fills me with despair. You'd have to be blind not to see the build up of calcium which would have been causing a lot of pain. The head carer didn't seem at all bothered when I suggested that dentures should not be left in overnight. I was told that in future they would ensure the denture is soaked in Milton solution overnight and I got a half hearted apology.
As I left I turned round and saw the manager rolling her eyes. I don't want to make things difficult for mum as she is not good at the moment. I think she is giving up but they say, 'Don't get mad, get even'. I'll have my day eventually.angry

JO4 Tue 11-Sep-12 10:50:30

"put her to bed in her clothes last night ". You can't get a good night's sleep in your clothes, unless you're under ten!

I can understand you not wanting to make waves. It's a difficult one. Definitely a quiet word with the new manager. Perhaps things will improve with this manager. I hope so.

vampirequeen Tue 11-Sep-12 10:42:56

That's horrendous.

nanaej Mon 10-Sep-12 22:51:26

Oh dear..lack of care..but sounds systemic ..if managers are not communicating, monitoring and checking.
Poor mum it must have been really painful sad ..hope all is healing well now and she is feeling better very soon and able to enjoy eating again