Gransnet forums

Care & carers

I'm a carer....and I'm totally frazzled!

(18 Posts)
NannieAnnie64 Sun 11-Apr-21 19:49:19

I am a carer, primarily for my elderly aunt who has learning and physical disabilities along with age related issues. By default, I now provide support for my father as my aunt lives with him. Apart from the personal care I provide for my aunt, I also deal with both their health and financial dealings, clean, do their washing, ironing, gardening, shopping, repairs and anything else to do with running a home.

My aunt, who can be challenging, is a sweetie and I love her dearly. As for my father, well ....that's a totally different matter.

My father is lucky that I do the things I do for him considering the awful things he has said and done. I have no love or respect for him. Besides these facts, he has always been a difficult man...domineering, bad-tempered, argumentative, his word is the only thing that matters and you can't have an opinion. He has always been uncouth...belching and breaking wind in front of everyone...no matter wherever he is. If i say anything he rants and shows me up by saying that it's natural and don't say I don't do it. He stands next me, even when I'm cooking and forces them. He's totally disgusting and he makes my blood boil that he doesn't consider anyone else.

He is a heavy smoker and has never had any concern about how his smoking affects anyone else. He will smoke right up until he gets in my car meaning I then have to suffer the smell in the car on the journey. When I offer hand gel to sanitise his hands before he gets in my car, he then makes remarks that I am fussing over nothing. I explain that he has had his hands to his mouth, but he just says I'm over doing it. I hate having to take him anywhere because of the strain of dealing with him and the fact my car stinks after. I use disinfectant spray in the car after he's been in it, but there's still an unpleasant odour.

To add more stress, the landlord of the property they rent served them notice 2 weeks ago because they are selling the house. I am trying to find a bungalow that suits both their needs, but there's not much on the market. I have taken my aunt and dad to 3 viewings over the last 2 weeks and this has been so stressful as my father is just so damn negative about everything. He treats me as if it's my fault.

In the mean time I am packing any of their belongings not in use to make things easier when they do get somewhere. My father didn't want me to, but I've stood my ground on this one as I'm not having it left until the last minute like the last time because my father dug his heels in.

We viewed somewhere yesterday and both of them liked it, so I've submitted an application, but there's 9 applications in for it. I'm just praying they get it. Not once over this time has he thanked me.

After being under so much pressure of late, I have felt myself becoming run down and battling to get over a cold for over a month. Yesterday morning the pressure cooker that is my head exploded. I'd telephoned my father to update him on all the paperwork I had sorted out for them and he started nit picking about something and I explained the misunderstanding had occurred because he'd given me the wrong information in the first place. He wouldn't have it that he was the one that started the heated conversation and then started snarling at me that I'm argumentative. He was talking to me as if I was a child and criticising me, so I put the phone down on him. I just sat there gobsmacked and sobbed and sobbed. All day I kept bursting into tears. Even now, typing this I'm welling up with tears.

I'm now feeling totally deflated and drained. I can't bare the thought of going to their house again, but I must for my aunt. I have to go and take him for his second covid jab on Tuesday, so I have decided not to go to them until then. I have made provision for my aunt. I just feel I need time to myself. I've decided that when my father needs more care, I will get a carer in for him. I have my hands full with my aunt and she is my priority. I feel I need to say something to him, but hate confrontation and the way he makes me feel.

I'm so sorry for the rant and not sure if I had a question in mind, but I just felt I needed to vent and get this all off my mind. Thank you.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 11-Apr-21 20:32:40

I didn’t want to just read and run, but i think you need to get in touch with Social Services urgently and get them involved in rehousing your relatives.

At the moment aren’t all evictions stopped due to Covid? Maybe check with CAB to find out what rights they have in their Rental, with eviction notices etc.

Maybe the Local Housing Association can also get involved in rehousing.?

As to your Father, I think that he is unlikely to change now and it will be difficult to care for your Aunt and not him too. Time again for Social Service to maybe get carers involved.
Hope it all works out for you.

Sheepandcattle Sun 11-Apr-21 20:42:27

This sounds like a horrible situation - I’m not surprised that you feel shattered. Do you have anyone supporting you? On a practical level, do you know that you’re entitled to have a Carer’s Assessment through your Social Services department? This could be useful as it may signpost you to other support you can access like carer’s support groups or even financial support. Also, Age Concern might be able to give you some advice on how to get your relatives some support so that it doesn’t all fall on you. On a more personal level, do you feel able to say to your father when he’s being obnoxious, that you will walk away for a few minutes and come back when he stops being so rude? You’re allowed to set some boundaries although I appreciate how difficult it can be with relatives. I’m so sorry that you’re having such a hard time and it sounds like you’re at breaking point, which is no wonder.

welbeck Sun 11-Apr-21 21:49:51

are you in uk.
if so have you had social services involvement.
could you approach local authority for social housing for your aunt.
do they have to live together.
i think you should tell social services that you cannot support him, you are committed to helping your aunt and he will have to be assessed for care needs etc separately.
please c
contact your local carers centre, sometime called princess royal centre.
you do not have to do anything for him.
by the way, why bother with ironing, that's just extra work.
all the best.

JaneJudge Sun 11-Apr-21 22:01:31

^^what they have said sad
you are amazing but ask for help now x

V3ra Sun 11-Apr-21 22:20:24

NannieAnnie64 I'm so sorry for the position you find yourself in. You deserve so much better.
It's definitely time to get the professionals involved: adult social worker and home care.
If you weren't there how would your aunt and dad cope? Far better to put help in place now before the situation becomes a crisis.
Best wishes x

NannieAnnie64 Sun 11-Apr-21 23:50:29

Thank you all. You're right. I need to get outside agencies involved. Many thanks for your replies x

Loislovesstewie Mon 12-Apr-21 05:45:23

Another who didn't want to read and run. Today you must contact your local authority and tell them they must help. Don't ask ;tell them. You have reached the end of your tether, and you really can't go on like this. As for your father, I think the time has come for you to tell him that with those manners you are doing nothing for him. Please,please get help now.
I wish you all the best;you deserve better.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 12-Apr-21 06:38:45

Like others I couldnt ignore your post. I'm glad you are contacting social services. I used to work for social services and was also a carer for my parents. I had a good relationship with them both but it was often exhausting. Be prepared to be firm. My father died early 2016 and services were stretched then,goodness knows what they are like now!
Good luck and stand your ground?

Katyj Mon 12-Apr-21 07:30:05

You are an absolute angel ? to be putting up with this, but even angels fall, you sound like you’ve had enough and who could blame you.
Get all the help you can, it’s hard to find sometimes but it is there. You’ll need a social worker first off. There’s financial help too, which is not always means tested.
The very best of luck. Please look after yourself flowers

Hilltop Mon 12-Apr-21 19:50:27

Is your aunt, and possibly your father too, getting
Attendance Allowance? I have found that people often don't know about it. It is not means tested. The form needs to be filled in with all details of care needed.

welbeck Mon 12-Apr-21 22:17:41

your aunt is a vulnerable person, who has to find new accommodation, although i think actual evictions are on hold.
so i think you should ask for help finding her supported or sheltered housing.
your father can find his own place or approach the council.
i think you and your aunt would be much better off away from your father.

Visgir1 Fri 16-Apr-21 16:32:37

Agree with all the above. I had to say as well.
Carers allowance, plus your Aunt is a vulnerable person, you must ask for help. You really can't do it all,the carer suffers in the end.
You are amazing trying to do all this. Your Dad needs his "horoscope read" and tell him straight.
I wish you the best of luck, take care.

welbeck Fri 16-Apr-21 17:11:06

apart from anything else, your aunt should not be subjected to being smoked over.
that could be seen as a form of abuse.
she is a vulnerable person, and has no choice in the matter.
she really ought to be living somewhere else.
and don't have him in your car.
send for a taxi and make sure he pays for it.
you are under no obligation to be downtrodden by him or anyone else.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE

Daisymae Fri 16-Apr-21 17:30:20

This is too much for any one to manage. You do have a responsibility to yourself too, your needs and wishes are just as important as anyone elses. Contact GP for a needs a assessment by Social Services as a start. Pull back from being at your father's beck and call. Maybe your Aunt could go into care and basically your father could fend for himself? It's the line that I would be pursuing in your situation.

Betty65 Sat 17-Apr-21 19:20:42

Ok, just for 10 minutes imagine you have sprained your ankle. You can’t drive, walking is problematic, moving is painful. What then. What would happen to these 2 people. Seems like dad and auntie are a package as far as you are concerned. What would you need to do to have this duo taken care of whilst you are out of action for say 4 weeks. When you know what would need to be done - do it. Don’t wait till you fall off the edge

Jersery82 Tue 08-Jun-21 22:26:39

I really feel for you and hope you’ve managed to sort something. Have you come across this website, there’s some good information on here - www.legalandgeneral.com/retirement/care

nexus63 Tue 08-Jun-21 22:59:21

i had the same problem with my grandfather after my gran died, i could only take so much of his drinking and having things thrown at me, he was blind so i had to do everything, i exploded one day and went to social services and they organised home helps.
does your father and aunt have the funding to afford a cleaner and maybe a gardner, shopping can be done at your house online and delivered at a time you are at there house, can you buy ready meals from one of the online companies like wiltshire farm, even just for a few meals to save on cooking, home helps can come in and make breakfast. please find out what help you can get, you need to look after yourself, if you get ill what will they do then? how mobile is your dad, he can get a taxi or hospital transport for appointments. please make an appointment with social services to find out what help you can get. sending you hugs and hope things get better soon.