Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Landline phone only providers

(22 Posts)
Michelle825 Sun 07-Aug-22 11:39:20

My mum only requires a landline phone bill. We are with talk talk and it came up for renewal. I asked them to take off the broadband but they only do broadband and phone combined now . So she’s paying for a service she doesn’t need. Does anyone do just landline contracts now?
Thank you as always for all the replies

MayBee70 Sun 07-Aug-22 11:42:31

They’re awful. I thought I had a price cap with them but they keep putting up my monthly payments. Have you tried BT?

MayBee70 Sun 07-Aug-22 11:43:22

Just a thought: a price comparison site will ask you just what services you require I think.

Mine Sun 07-Aug-22 11:44:04

Do BT not just supply a landline for elderly people...My inlaws just have a landline phone. No Internet or TV package...Worth a try...

Esspee Sun 07-Aug-22 11:44:33

Google “landline phone only deals”.

Chestnut Sun 07-Aug-22 11:45:22

Why not get her a mobile phone for the elderly. There is some information here from Age UK:
www.ageco.co.uk/viewpoint/health-and-lifestyle/the-best-mobile-phones-for-the-elderly/
What about her TV though, doesn't she need a landline for that? I'm no expert though.

Elizabeth27 Sun 07-Aug-22 12:24:08

I have just googled landline only out of interest, there is one for £13.50 but I have not looked in detail.

NotSpaghetti Sun 07-Aug-22 12:38:29

From BT website:
If you don't have and don't want broadband, you could get a discount on a BT landline. To find out if you're eligible, call us on 0800 587 0083.

ExDancer Sun 07-Aug-22 12:39:59

I don't want a mobile phone so I understand where she's coming from. We do have Internet (obviously) but I'd object if I was paying for a service o didn't use. I can't understand this bullying into people getting mobiles or computers.
So many information is only available at "www dot" and its wrong!

Chestnut Sun 07-Aug-22 15:25:19

It's the 21st century ExDancer and things have moved on. 100 years ago people were unwilling to accept cars, telephones and electric lights!

BlueBelle Sun 07-Aug-22 15:33:19

I m the opposite realised I was paying for a landline that I rarely used managed to change to BB only but kept the landline plugged in I can accept calls but if I was to make one I’d get charged for the call itself Saved me about £10 a month

Casdon Sun 07-Aug-22 15:34:12

Digital voice services are the future of landlines – they work using broadband connections rather than copper phone lines. I’ve already been converted, it’s not optional because the old copper phone systems are removed when the lines in your area are transferred over. Progressively the digital voice system will cover the whole country.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 15:58:48

The Martin Lewis website is probably the best place to check to look for the best deal.
I hope you find something. smile

Katyj Sun 07-Aug-22 16:01:25

Hi. My mum has BT only landline. It’s about £17 per month unlimited calls including mobiles.

Visgir1 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:55:22

My mum only had a land-line. No Internet, with BT
Apparently if you don't have Internet with the new roll out phone system, BT will supply a "gadget" to make it work.
Hope you can sort out for your mum.

Chestnut Sun 07-Aug-22 18:30:16

Casdon

Digital voice services are the future of landlines – they work using broadband connections rather than copper phone lines. I’ve already been converted, it’s not optional because the old copper phone systems are removed when the lines in your area are transferred over. Progressively the digital voice system will cover the whole country.

I was converted by BT to fibre optic on Weds. There was no connection fee and they gave me a new hub and two new digital landline phones free of charge. But having problems logging into my BT account since then and still waiting for this to be solved.

Casdon Sun 07-Aug-22 19:21:15

Chestnut

Casdon

I was converted by BT to fibre optic on Weds. There was no connection fee and they gave me a new hub and two new digital landline phones free of charge. But having problems logging into my BT account since then and still waiting for this to be solved.

I got a new Broadband receiver too when they changed me over, fortunately no problems here, just had to change the network details on my iPad, phone, printer etc. and everything worked. I’m just a bit concerned that if the broadband goes down we won’t have even a landline if there are any problems.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 07-Aug-22 19:28:35

Talk talk are just awful, try The Phone Coop, we have been with them for 25 years and they are little known but are wonderful with their service and extremely reasonable.

MayBee70 Mon 08-Aug-22 17:14:07

I’ve waited in for days for talktalk to deliver a replacement formy tv box only to be told that the order was cancelled. They can’t tell me why. But did remind me that if I didn’t return the broken one to them in 28 days they would fine me £25. I told them their customer service wasn’t the best!

Petera Mon 08-Aug-22 17:18:38

I should imagine that it should be possible to have landline only, but be aware that even landlines are being changed to run on the internet

www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/consumer-issues/changes-to-landline-telephones/

Chestnut Tue 09-Aug-22 00:19:16

Casdon I’m just a bit concerned that if the broadband goes down we won’t have even a landline if there are any problems.
This occurred to me, that if we had power cuts and my mobile phone was not fully charged then I couldn't use my flashy new digital landline phones. The whole system would be useless just when you need it, and you'd be left with no way of contacting the outside world. They don't tell you that when your fibre optic is installed. I can't even keep my old landline phones as they can't be plugged in any more.

Teacheranne Tue 09-Aug-22 01:41:21

My mum had a landline through Utility Warehouse which was not expensive but I can’t remember how much as we cancelled it two years ago when she moved into a care home. I used to have my landline through Plusnet until last year when I moved to Virgin for my TV and got a better deal for landline and broadband combined with the TV.