Gransnet forums

Charities

Macmillan coffee morning

(29 Posts)
gangy5 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:45:26

This Friday is the big day for the Macmillan charity, raising funds for cancer support by holding thousands of coffee mornings. Just to be different mine is on Monday next.
I am selling my recently published cookery book - Favourite Family Food - at a reduced price with all proceeds going to Macmillan and would ask you to seriously think about buying it if you would like to contribute to this good cause. It would make an ideal Christmas or Birthday gift for grandchildren or parents with young families.
Please support this good cause - the book costs £5 + £1.50 postage. All the £5 will be donated.
Contact [email protected]

glammanana Tue 04-Oct-11 22:01:04

Aren't they fab glassthanksthanksthanks

Elegran Tue 04-Oct-11 14:34:17

crimson You could have reminded Edwina Currie of the widow smite widow's mite

"Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living"

glassortwo Tue 04-Oct-11 13:44:25

glamma thanks

Oh I like these thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

glammanana Mon 03-Oct-11 09:20:27

So sad to hear that glass as you know I was treated 22yrs ago for ovarian cancer and had it dealt with as an emergency,caught in time but followed with chemo etc,so very dear to my heart all the new procedure's and fund raising,with her being so strong it will make a massive differance to her treatment so tell her to remain that way and be positive and she will come through thisxx (hug's for you and your friend)

glassortwo Sun 02-Oct-11 20:48:38

glamma this is so close to me at the moment, I have a friend in her mid 30s with two small children who is going through treatment for a lump that she had removed from her neck and told it was benign but when removed it was tested and is malignant, she is being so strong and we have to be strong for her sad

glassortwo Sun 02-Oct-11 20:42:39

glamma every penny that can be raised is another step towards that goal smile

glammanana Sun 02-Oct-11 20:38:46

glass when I worked for McCarthy & Stone the senior person's builder's we had coffee morning for Mcmillion every yr at all our developments and we raised a fortune for the cause,imagine how that relate's across the country.We are now seeing the result's of the research with new way's to treat the dreadful curse of cancer,I watched a report on a new way for blasting chemo treatment to many time's it normal strength and giving the patient a far greater chance of recovery only this week and if we can keep going in that direction we are doing a good job.

glassortwo Sun 02-Oct-11 20:29:28

Thats £536.80 in three coffee mornings, so they should raise a huge amount overall.

glammanana Sun 02-Oct-11 20:17:00

In our communial garden we raised £49.80 not a lot I know but we only have 16 residents in our apartment's and four of them are away on holiday,so not too bad really,also there where a lot of coffee morning's in the same area so the overall achievement should be very good.Well done to all of us I say.

nanachrissy Sun 02-Oct-11 19:35:27

My daughter raised £140, which is pretty good as there were only a few neighbours and a lot of children(eating a lot of cake!)

glassortwo Sat 01-Oct-11 09:18:32

My friends coffee morning raised £347.00, which beats all totals to date, but we now have a challenge to beat it next year smile

nanachrissy Thu 29-Sep-11 19:43:44

My daughter is having an afternoon tea for Macmillan on Friday,mainly for neighbours and family, and my 9 year old gd is baking all the cakes!! She makes a beautifully light victoria sponge and i'm so proud of her. smile brew

nanajan Thu 29-Sep-11 19:31:13

We are having a Macmillan Coffee Morning in our village tomorrow. Its always a lovely event, held in the local Methodist Hall in the centre of the village, and so many people come during the day that its a chance to meet up with friends! For £2 entry we get a nice cuppa and an even nicer piece of cake!! There is always a tombola and Macmillan things for sale, and we all enjoy ourselves and raise money at the same time. Having had cancer and still in touch with a local cancer support group I am always happy to support such an important event and cause.

crimson Thu 29-Sep-11 11:05:17

Joan; a few years ago Edwina Currie [who was our mp at the time] gave a talk at our vicars house. Now, I'm not religious, but our vicar did a lot of work for third world countries [this was pre Live Aid and such like] so I always supported him. She was so rude, asking why there were so few people at the meeting [she usually liked a crowd and press photographers]. She asked what we had done for starving people, and I said I'd done a sponsored fast. She asked how much I'd raised and when I said @ £12 she laughed and said she'd had a garden party [or something]and raised hundreds. At this point someone pointed out that I didn't have such rich friends... and I stormed out. A friend came to my house an hour or two later and I apologised for what I'd done. Her reply was 'somebody had to'. But, I digress, as usual. I'm glad of the reminder because I'm away on Friday and I'll give some money to my grandsons school, as they're having a fund raiser for Cancer Research tpmorrow.

gangy5 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:45:02

Joan your apology is accepted and I also apologise if I sounded a bit harsh.
Many thanks for your good luck wishes.

Joan Thu 29-Sep-11 10:33:25

Quote:^For this situation, an exceptionally worthy cause, you are not being very charitable Joan^

I'm sorry Gangy, I wasn't talking about your coffee morning because I had no idea what Macmillan Coffee mornings were, and as Baggy assumed, I am always happy to attend things for a worthy cause.

I was just waffling on about a reminiscence. In fact, looking back at that awful coffee morning, I have no idea what it was for, except to have a go at the strikers. My only regret is that I didn't let the pastor's tyres down before I left. It is an appalling thing to do, conning someone into a religious/political meeting.

Good luck everyone, with the Macmillan fundraisers.

Baggy Thu 29-Sep-11 10:12:14

The promised link, from the British Humanist Association:

us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f506ec535c3e750b66180af13&id=d7855b90e2&e=897e790a79

Baggy Thu 29-Sep-11 10:09:53

gangy, in joan's defence, I'm sure she is charitable. Not supporting religious events does not make someone uncharitable. In fact a recent poll (I will look it up and post a link later if I can) indicates that atheists are no less charitable than religious people or, to put it another way, religious people are no more charitable than atheists. There is no reason, in fact, why there should be any difference.

glammanana Thu 29-Sep-11 09:29:24

We are holding a coffee morning (and tea) in the garden area at the rear of our apartments to-morrow and have invited people from the surrounding road's to attend if they can,I have done this for the past three yrs here and it is very well attended,we even get a donation from the Housing Assocation toward's our cost's and usually average about £40/50 so a good time had by all.

gangy5 Wed 28-Sep-11 10:51:11

For this situation, an exceptionally worthy cause, you are not being very charitable Joan

glassortwo Wed 28-Sep-11 10:06:12

Her loss Joan

Joan Wed 28-Sep-11 00:02:51

Coffee mornings have bad connotations for me. When I first arrived in Australia to live, with my husband and new baby, we stayed with friends. The next door neighbour invited me to a coffee morning. I gladly accepted, imagining meeting perhaps half a dozen other young mums for a natter.

Well, it was held at a house, but Queensland houses are often high set, with a huge underneath area. This area was packed with rows and rows of seats. Food and drink was set out at one side. We all sat down and this preacher fellow arrived. I was shocked, then he had a prayer - more embarrassment for atheist me, then he started this right wing rant about the electricity workers who were on strike and the labour party etc etc. I stood up with my baby in my arms and left. I was lost when I got outside as I'd been driven there, but managed to get home.

The neighbour asked me later where I'd gone. I told her I had misunderstood what a coffee morning was, that I was an atheist, a Labour voter, and supported the strike. Poor woman looked at me as if I was a pork chop in a synagogue, and took off back home.

She never bothered me again.

gangy5 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:12:50

Yes it's my business email address and I'll get back to you!!

glassortwo Tue 27-Sep-11 19:16:54

gangy sorry for being so dense but do I just email and mention Macmillan and the book title 'Favourite Family Foods' and will someone come back to me?

gangy5 Tue 27-Sep-11 17:22:40

Thanks glassortwo for your support. I am going to put another link on here in an effort to get more sales.