Gransnet forums

Charities

Walk in Her Shoes

(8 Posts)
WalkingMaud Thu 01-Mar-12 10:42:38

Thanks for the messages, I appreciate 5 miles is a lot and even if you are unable to support directly it is encourageing that you support the campaign. many thanks!

Maniac Sat 25-Feb-12 17:43:26

Just been walking with my 2 Nordic walking sticks but I think even 1 mile would be hard.
Normally I only use one stick -have a habit of leaving it in shops,loos etc.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Feb-12 20:27:17

Phoenix - rest assured that we greatly appreciate everyone keeping an eye out for us. We are always really grateful

Anne58 Fri 24-Feb-12 19:36:35

Thanks Cari, I didn't want to appear like a forum vigilante, but I feel that it's important that sites such as this are used appropriately.

WalkingMaud , all power to you!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Feb-12 19:28:20

Phoenix - vigilance appreciated. I'll quote Geraldine from earlier in the week:

"For clarification - we are happy for registered charities to post requests of this kind, though we prefer them to check with us first.

It's the spamming/commercial posts that are a pain - and people treating us as if we're a giant research experiment. (It's a fine call when it comes to design students etc, though we have to draw the line somewhere and at the moment we're only helping registered charities. Otherwise we're going to start feeling like lab rats.)"

Once again - many thanks, and good luck if you give it a go!!

glammanana Fri 24-Feb-12 19:14:08

phoenix agree with your comments and good way to get on to the fitter side of life,but I would be struggling to walk 5 miles a day.

Anne58 Fri 24-Feb-12 18:25:07

Hello WalkingMaud and welcome.

This looks like a very good cause and a great idea for people to take part, get fitter and make a contribution.

I'm not sure, but it may be the case that you need to run (no pun intended) it past Gransnet HQ moderators?

May be worth checking it out rather than get your thread deleted.

WalkingMaud Fri 24-Feb-12 16:12:48

If you are keen to try and increase the amount you walk each day while supporting a worthy cause, CARE International, an aid and development agency is launching a new campaign for International Women's Day in March, 'Walk in Her Shoes'.
Walk In Her Shoes
They are challenging women in the UK to walk 10,000 steps each day for a week in March. By taking part and getting sponsored to do so, you will support women and girls living in poverty. That’s approximately five miles each day in solidarity with women and girls in poor communities who have to walk long distances every day to collect essential items like water or firewood, just to survive. Participants will be sent everything they need, including a pedometer to track their steps. For more information please visit their website or email [email protected]
Your participation will help women like 52 year old Susan from Zimbabwe. Susan and her daughter used to walk over four and half hours every day to collect water for their family. If the river was dry, she was reduced to digging a pit in the riverbed to collect dirty ground water drink.
Last year CARE repaired a borehole near Susan’s home. She still spends over an hour walking, but there is no shortage of clean, safe water. Susan’s community have rallied together to look after this precious resource.
You can sign up to Walk in Her Shoes on the CARE website and they will send you everything you need to get started, including a pedometer! Join me and show your support for women and girls living in poverty.
www.careinternational.org.uk/walkinhershoes/