Gransnet forums

Charities

Good News for the NSPCC

(16 Posts)
Anagram Fri 29-Jun-12 20:03:43

I must say I agree about the threads disappearing, Butter - I keep having to bump up threads which are actually current.

And I certainly agree with what when says.

Butternut Fri 29-Jun-12 19:48:58

Yes, when. Willful ignorance is no defense.

whenim64 Fri 29-Jun-12 19:43:49

Yes, Butternut I'm thinking of children who are being harmed in a household of at least two adults, or those where adults regularly visit and do nothing to help a chiid who bears bruises and obvious signs of neglect, and the adults make no attempt to hide the cruelty they are inflicting. How they have avoided prosecution I do not know, but the power has shifted to the child's side with this change.

Butternut Fri 29-Jun-12 19:32:22

I'm BUMPING because this disappeared into the 'old' conversations.

This is beginning to become an annoyance.

Butternut Fri 29-Jun-12 19:29:03

when and nag - I found it immensely frustrating, when in court, being bound by the strictures of confidentiality. Add into that the loopholes ........ need I say more angry.
I really hope (and actually think) this will make a substantial impact, and importantly, address the issue of 'passive' perpetrators.

Anagram Fri 29-Jun-12 18:30:54

And you can bet your life they will, when! angry

whenim64 Fri 29-Jun-12 18:29:43

Great! I can think of one or two who might be quaking in their shoes right now! About time that someone showed some initiative and sorted this out. Workers who have known only too well who has harmed a child will be breathing a sigh of relief. Let's hope their solicitors don't start playing their silly games, looking for more technical loopholes to get them off!

Annika Fri 29-Jun-12 18:08:52

Good news, but why has it taken so long

glammanana Fri 29-Jun-12 18:06:39

Best news to-day. Thanks for the information about time someone used their common sense.

nanaej Fri 29-Jun-12 13:06:20

Good news! Thanks for bringing it to GN.

Anagram Fri 29-Jun-12 12:50:02

Thanks for that, Butter! It certainly is good news (and about time, too).

Bags Fri 29-Jun-12 12:44:48

It is good to hear about human progress like this.

nightowl Fri 29-Jun-12 12:44:33

It's good news for Social Workers who have to work with such people. At least now there will be the possibility of seeing them convicted and make it easier to protect any future children they may have.

Notsogrand Fri 29-Jun-12 12:38:55

Good!!

glassortwo Fri 29-Jun-12 12:19:09

Great news!!!!!

Butternut Fri 29-Jun-12 12:17:48

Great news! A legal loophole which has allowed child abusers to escape prosecution has been closed.

From Monday, anyone who deliberately causes or allows serious physical harm to a child or vulnerable adult faces up to 10 years in prison. This also means that people who stay silent or blame someone else can no longer escape justice, unlike in previous cases.

This is a real victory for children and has the potential to bring many more child abusers to justice.