Gransnet forums

Charities

Child Poverty

(185 Posts)
Sweetie222 Tue 20-Nov-18 20:33:18

We are always hearing about this, and I know a few single parents who regularly plead poverty. However, they never mention numbers.

I've been shocked to find out that so long as they work a few hours a week they often have over £800 per month from the government as well as perhaps £500 from ex partners. Do you think that the people who sympathise are aware of this?

M0nica Wed 21-Nov-18 16:46:20

How often is often? What is the source of the statistics you quote?

I am always suspicious of statements like this that rely on words like 'often have' and 'perhaps'.

gillybob Wed 21-Nov-18 17:00:51

I’m not sure where your information comes from .sweetie but I see genuine child poverty every day .

I was a single parent myself for many years and never received a single penny from my child’s father . Not did he provide him with so much as a pair of shoes in his entire childhood .

Ilovecheese Wed 21-Nov-18 17:11:57

Where does your information come from Sweetie222?

Marydoll Wed 21-Nov-18 17:13:33

When I was teaching in one of the most deprived areas in Scotland, I can assure you that I witnessed extreme poverty every day.
It was not unknown for me to run up to to one of the local supermarkets to purchase underwear and shoes for children. One day a wee girl came to school in deep snow in ankle socks, ballet pumps with holes in them and wearing a school blazer, no coat. She was blue with cold.
I remember we had a staff Christmas lunch and a lot of food left over. I was ashamed at the waste, so wrapped it up, concealed it in a black bin liner and asked a parent if he could use it. I made out that he would be doing us a favour.
The man, a tough army veteran burst in to tears and said he had been wondering how he was going to feed his children that night.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 17:15:11

I'm a single parent, and would be happy to give correct facts and figures, if anyone thinks I'm well off.

gillybob Wed 21-Nov-18 17:18:11

There’s a little girl in my DGS’s class who breaks me heart Marydoll ( much like the little girl you describe) completely inappropriate clothes for the weather. Her hair looks like it hasn’t been brushed or washed for months. I have offered good quality bits from my older DGD’s (via their lovely teacher) but have been told they would not be accepted . It breaks my heart to imagine her home life . sad

J52 Wed 21-Nov-18 17:25:05

This has to be a wind up! No substantiated facts. The original poster hasn’t come back to defend their statements.

Oldwoman70 Wed 21-Nov-18 17:32:07

I think everyone can say they "know" someone who is getting benefits they don't need - but I whilst there may be some cases I don't believe they are the majority. There is ample proof that there are children who are in need (not least those GNs who have worked with children). I would rather some people got more than they were entitled to if it also means that the children who really need help receive it.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Nov-18 17:55:04

gillybob I could ( and do ) cry when I'm out and about and see poverty. It really gets to me especially when I as a pensioner can buy pretty well what I want yet these poor souls with families are living hand to mouth------something's not right somewhere. Even charity shops are probably out of reach as many of them have gone greedy and increased their prices.
I daren't even begin to think or wonder what their home lives are like.

Poor pensioners ? Rubbish ! It's those with families who work that dip out.

Just been reading about a despicable couple both aged 70 who conned the benefits system out of £54,000 !
6 months suspended for 18months each----the defendant said " he was an old fool who wouldn't do it again " Luxury holidays etc.

Morgana Wed 21-Nov-18 18:01:13

UN has reported on the shocking level of poverty in UK. We are still one of the richest nations in the world. Truly shocking that any child and their family should be living in poverty.

gillybob Wed 21-Nov-18 18:06:44

I too pity young families EllanVannin as there are so many financial demands on them these days . Who should have to choose between keeping warm , eating and clothing their children properly ? Having a TV is a very small pleasure when you have kids and yet there are people who begrudge this to those on benefits. I can’t understand it.

Telly Wed 21-Nov-18 18:15:42

The United Nations has condemned the British government's "punitive, mean-spirited and often callous" treatment of the country's poorest and most vulnerable, in a damning report. I think as the 5th richest country in the world this is a national disgrace. In years to come the country will reap the rewards of child poverty. It seems that Victorian values equal punishing the poor.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 18:17:18

That is the pity of it, really.
The fact that it will undoubtedly impact on generations to come.

Ilovecheese Wed 21-Nov-18 18:30:21

I am appalled and indeed enraged by the opinions that some people hold about single parents. They seem to imagine that it is an easy life, lived in the lap of luxury at the taxpayers' expense. Being a single parent is jolly hard work.

I don't begrudge one penny of my taxes going to help single parents. Like others on here, I cannot understand the attitude that begrudges these families a bit of help.

I was lucky enough not to rely on benefits all the time when I was a single parent, but at times the I had some what was called "family tax credit", well now my children are taxpayers themselves, and they and I have repaid many times over the help that we received.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Nov-18 18:34:24

I don't begrudge these poor beggars anything at all. It's got nothing to do with folk what they're given and whether on benefits. What are they expected to do ?

Years ago nearly everyone was in the same boat but now you have this insidious " them and us " mentality. The " haves and have nots " which has divided this country and its people.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 18:38:03

Can I also point out that single parents no longer stay at home.
They will be expected to look for work as soon as their child is 5 (I think) and the hours expected of them increase as their child gets older.
They are expected to make use of after school and breakfast clubs so that they can work.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 18:41:41

as well as perhaps £500 from ex partners

If the statements are true, then they could be earning, say at 15 hours pw @ £7.83 ph about £117.45 pw (is that right) + £200 approximately from HM Gov. + perhaps £125 from the father of the children = £442.45 pw. Enough to pay rent, bills, feed and clothe children, travel to and from work etc?

Perhaps.
Perhaps not.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Nov-18 18:43:44

My DD is a single parent, she has had to come back to live at home. She was back at work after 6 weeks. There is no way she could live independently, the sums mentioned in the OP are “fairytales”

She is fortunate that we can support her especially with childcare.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 18:47:59

They would be extremely unlikely to be working 15 hours a week.
16 hours is the 'golden number' in order to qualify for help.
15 hours would mean you would still be expected to sign on as a job seeker, to find a job with 1 hour more.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Nov-18 18:51:31

MissA you are correct they have to work between 16-20 hours to qualify for working tax credits.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 18:54:22

Also, bearing in mind that to justify your 64 pounds a week job seekers allowance you have to be actively seeking work for 35 hours a week. Even if you are looking for a 20 hour a week job!
And they want proof that you've looked, that you've looked enough, and that you've considered every single job that you are able to do.

maryeliza54 Wed 21-Nov-18 18:54:27

Why do people think it’s acceptable to post complete fabricated rubbish aimed at stirring up the envy , hated and jealousy of vulnerable groups and then just disappear. I’ve said before how much I despise posters who post lies - and yes they are lies if you don’t bother to check your ‘facts’ before posting. And as I’ve said before re a racist post: I don’t care who you heard it from or how misled you’ve been - it’s disgraceful to do this. It’s not an innocent mistake that we should forgive - it’s trolling

gillybob Wed 21-Nov-18 18:56:54

The assumption that all schools have breakfast clubs really annoys me. I’m not blowing my trumpet here at all but there is no way my Son and DiL could both work if I didn’t do the childcare/sleepovers/ school runs that I do . The primary school children go to school miles away from home ( not by choice) and it does not have any breakfast or after school clubs . angry

gillybob Wed 21-Nov-18 19:04:37

It’s truly sickening MissA