Gransnet forums

Chat

Idle chit-chat

(68 Posts)
flossie Thu 26-May-11 11:21:22

Has anyone else noticed that many of the threads are going off on a tangent, and have nothing to do with the OP?

Idle chit-chat could be about anything which doesn't really fit in anywhere - without having to create a new thread.

grannymags Thu 26-May-11 16:43:42

I like this idea flossie smile

absentgrana Thu 26-May-11 17:34:10

Isn't that what conversations do?

supernana Fri 27-May-11 17:44:56

twizzle Eureka! Will catch up with you sometime soon...smile

twizzle Fri 27-May-11 17:49:35

supernana - your Archimedes moment !! wink

nanamo Fri 27-May-11 18:17:53

Yes i love idle chit chat helps you unwind. Just wish we knew when others are on line so we can chat real time. Oh the joys of a chat room

any Fri 27-May-11 23:19:24

would love to have chit chat anyone about

Rosannie Fri 27-May-11 23:32:21

I'm just pleased to see someone happy to chit chat after 11p.m.
I'm an owl and have found that a lot of Gransnetters are larks so I never get a response! hmm

harrigran Fri 27-May-11 23:50:10

I am an owl, I don't need to get up early because DH brings me coffee in bed.

granmo Sat 28-May-11 10:09:31

i also like idle cit chat it helps to get to know people .

supernana Sat 28-May-11 13:52:13

...a little idle chit-chat coming up. We live on the remote west coast of Scotland - facing the sea, with an ancient forest at the rear of our garden. A family of deer come to the fence and have treats of chopped apple.The fawns are left resting under the bracken. A plump forest rabbit visits for vegetable matter and has introduced us to three youngsters. Three feral cats came calling in the winter. We left out scraps. Then my husband built a wee wooden chalet for them [to protect the food from the elements]. Friends got to hear of the feral cat clan and donated a black sack full of no-longer-required tip-top cat food. Each evening we here a miaow and the cats wait under the cherry tree for the dish to be taken to the chalet. We believe that feral cat, Tabs, could be pregnant. Maybe she'll bring her kittens to visit. These special creatures warm our hearts...

toothfairy Sat 28-May-11 14:48:58

Oh,SUPERNANA,would you like to adopt me? sounds like an amazing place and your description made me positively drool envy

twizzle Sat 28-May-11 15:00:46

supernana, how idyllic your homestead sounds.

As I was reading your post, Louis Armstrong singing 'What a Wonderful World' was playing on the radio, and I felt as if I was there with you.

lucid Sat 28-May-11 15:08:09

Hi Supernana ....whereabouts on the west coast are you? I have friends on the Isle of Luing (south of Oban). Hoping to visit them in July. smile

supernana Sat 28-May-11 15:58:18

lucid...we are on the Kintyre peninsula between Clachan [Tarbet] and Campbeltown. The view is towards the islands of Jura and Isla. Our day trips to Oban are most enjoyable. smile

supernana Sat 28-May-11 16:03:49

toothfairy lucid and twizzle ...would adopt you all in a trice...the more the merrier. Have noted that I've made two spelling errors...should have said "hear", not "here" and, the correct spelling of our Tarbert has an "r". It's Tarbert's regatta weekend and the sea is very lively! smile

nanafrancis Sat 28-May-11 16:30:22

Sounds wonderful supernana. I have fond memories of Scotland - the east coast - holidays at Helmsdale and Brora - superb!

Perhaps we all ought to write something along the lines of supernana's chit-chat?

supernana Sat 28-May-11 17:04:42

nanafrancis - sounds like a very good idea...smile

lucid Sat 28-May-11 20:52:15

supernana I know where you are! I can now picture where you live.You can see Jura from Luing and also Mull. Went on a Seafari last time I visited - through the Corryvrekan whirlpools, very exhilarating. It is such a beautiful area - I usually visit my friends a couple of times a year but couldn't get up to Scotland at all last year so am suffering withdrawal symptoms.sad Should have been up in the spring but my new granddaughter arrived 3 weeks early and so I ended up going south to visit them instead. Am so looking forward to my July visit.grin

harrigran Sat 28-May-11 23:16:33

Oh yes supernana, a wonderful place to live. We were on Islay the year they did springwatch there. We greatly enjoyed Jura too, especially the walled garden. My son loved it that much he called his daughter Isla smile

supernana Sun 29-May-11 12:22:48

lucid and harrigran...Today the sea is huge and a beautiful teal green. Haven't spotted the regular ferry to Isla, so perhaps the winds are too strong. We often watch an otter that swims down the wee burn beside our cottage and goes hunting in the sea. If he gets lucky he sits on a vast rock and eats his catch. Both feral cats visited last night. By the amount of whisker-licking, they appear to approve of the super-duper cat food that was donated by some kind friends. The deer are keeping a low profile at the moment. There is plenty of lush vegetation for them to enjoy. Any day now though, the latest fawn will be left to sleep under the cover of the ferns until mother deer returns at the end of day. In winter time, one particular deer will take chopped apple from my husband's hand. It's a mutual admiration society...

glassortwo Sun 29-May-11 13:33:53

supernana your otter reminds me of a cottage we stayed in on Isle of Danna, there was an otter who came everyday fishing and we would sit in the fishermans cottage watching him with his catch. That was one of the most relaxing holidays I have had, we would wander along the shore to see the seals, and the weather luckily was fantastic, that coast line is so beautiful.

artygran Sun 29-May-11 20:51:03

I envy you your idyllic Scottish home - every time we have been to Scotland (three times) it has rained... and rained..... and rained..... It rained so much on our only visit to Oban that it flooded the car park we were parked in and we had to wade back to our car! (We took refuge in the distillery!) I have yet to see much of Scotland at all! On our second visit, we drove all the way up to Inverness from Fort Wiliam and back and never saw a thing! I'm told it is very beautiful. We are now experts at driving around in very wet weather! Do you think we should persevere and give it another go?

em Sun 29-May-11 22:29:54

Artygran - please do try again. My city - Dundee - featured in the papers a couple of days ago. The bad news was that there is a slightly higher incidence of skin cancer but the good news was that we are Scotland's sunniest city.The east coast is lovely. Start at the Borders - maybe Kelso on the famous salmon river, the Tweed, then on to Edinburgh and travelingl north through Fife with the lovely coastal villages of the East Neuk. Visit St Andrews before crossing the Tay to Dundee. In a couple of years we'll have the new Victoria and Albert museum in a spectacular situation reaching out onto the river.Further north there is cosmopolitan Aberdeen - the capital of the oil industry. That's before you hit the spectacular Highlands and the malt whisky trail.Compare and contrast with supernana's idyll and you'll see what variety there is to enjoy north of the border. Sorry about your rainy trips - don't let them put you off any longer!. .

lucid Sun 29-May-11 22:39:26

Artygran The car park in Oban always floods when it rains...I've lost count of the number of times I've had to wade through on my many visits. Don't let that put you off though...the sun does shine, I have seen it.
Supernana I am now yearning for July....on one of my visits a big dog otter ambled through my friend's garden and we all sat spellbound, hardly daring to breathe. It was the most amazing thing...and I hadn't realized how big they are - only ever having see their heads popping up from the sea. I was even inspired to write a poem about it. Do keep telling us about your views...I love the way you write. smile