Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm Free................

(16 Posts)
crimson Mon 06-Jun-11 19:35:33

Does anyone remember when we used to put stickers on cars? A friend of mine had an old Beetle that had Magic Roundabout stickers on it. I learned to drive in a Morris 1000 Traveller..good because you could sleep in it as well. Used to get pointed at in Germany...baum, baum, people used to say, whilst scratching their heads.

Annobel Mon 06-Jun-11 07:43:17

I don't know how that managed to be posted twice. Probably because I'm not quite awake yet.

Annobel Mon 06-Jun-11 07:42:03

My Yaris is a scruffy dark blue one which,touch wood, has given me very little trouble. It's now ten years old and was a replacement for a Fiesta that was vandalised when parked in the street and I never felt the same about it again. I've never been breathalysed, but managed to pick up two speeding tickets within 7 miles, one of which incurred a fine and for the other I had to attend a speed awareness course.
The love of my life was one of the original 1300cc Beetles. Brilliant car and easy to maintain.

Annobel Mon 06-Jun-11 07:40:29

My Yaris is a scruffy dark blue one which,touch wood, has given me very little trouble. It's now ten years old and was a replacement for a Fiesta that was vandalised when parked in the street and I never felt the same about it again. I've never been breathalysed, but managed to pick up two speeding tickets within 7 miles, one of which incurred a fine and for the other I had to attend a speed awareness course.
The love of my life was one of the original 1300cc Beetles. Brilliant car and easy to maintain.

crimson Sun 05-Jun-11 19:23:50

Annobel; I've got a Toyota Yaris as well, bought because I needed a reliable car to get me to my daughters when I was needed [had unreliable bangers prior to that] and then there was all the problem with the brakes. I got pulled over by the police one night, because it had so many switches on it I'd mistakenly left some 'boy racer' lights on; got breathalised as well! I asked the policeman [who looked about 12] how to turn the lights off and even he didn't know...is yours silver? I do look at cars like bright orange Nissans sometimes and think about changing it, but it is meant to last me a lifetime [sigh].

Nannyliz Sun 05-Jun-11 13:03:11

Helshea, hang on to your dream, it will keep you going. I really hope you get your VW camper van.

helshea Sun 05-Jun-11 10:55:40

I have the best most gorgeous dog in the world.. my shiba inu, but alas it is very unlikely he will be around to share my dream..... in fact perhaps dream is the wrong word, because dreams don't always come true. Sorry Annobel that your dream didnt work out, but I'm sure the grandchildren more than make up for it.

Annobel Sun 05-Jun-11 10:39:38

Helshea, I had exactly that dream (plus a big poodle) but then I had grandchildren. The campervan turned out to be a Toyota Yaris (archetypal old lady's car?) which is needed when I have to travel to see the GCs. I also started to have health problems for which I had a 'season ticket' to the local hospital. But don't let me put you off - hold onto the dream and good luck to you. Don't imagine I'm a disappointed woman. I have so much to be grateful for - not least the NHS and especially my family.

PS I never got round to the poodle either.

helshea Sun 05-Jun-11 09:50:13

I'm envious of you.. but unfortunately now I have to wait another 14 years before I can retire, I'm 52. I have a dream of buying myself a VW campervan and just setting off..... fingers crossed!

glassortwo Sat 04-Jun-11 20:02:29

Sorry wrong name been a long day at work should have said nannyliz blush

glassortwo Sat 04-Jun-11 20:01:00

glammanana enjoy your retirement wink plenty of time for the boring things enjoy your freedom.

HildaW Sat 04-Jun-11 17:58:07

I'd procrastinate if I could..............trouble is I keep putting it off.

crimson Sat 04-Jun-11 17:23:11

haha..procrastinating already..wink. Only joking [I'm the world's best, or worst procrastinator]...

Nannyliz Sat 04-Jun-11 10:43:28

Sounds good to me, glamma! I have a plan to decorate our bedroom in the dark winter months so will enjoy the summer.

glammanana Sat 04-Jun-11 10:39:18

Nannyliz,I can assure you that now you have all the time in the world
you will end up with all sorts of things put off until a later date,when
we where at work we knew we had to get jobs done and finished,but
now you can get used to the word "manana" so go on and enjoy
your free time there is loads of time in the dark winter months to
do boring stuff

Nannyliz Sat 04-Jun-11 10:02:20

I've been looking forward to this for months, probably even years. I retired from work on the 1st June! Is it true what everyone has been telling me that I'll wonder how I ever found the time to go to work? If so, I'm going to have a darned good time finding out. Now where's my list list of things to do?