Gransnet forums

Chat

do you read self-help books ?

(5 Posts)
frida Mon 20-Jun-11 20:10:57

which book has helped you the most and why ?

Janet25 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:29:00

I'm reading Paul McKenna's Instant Confidence, and listening to the CD that goes with it. I havent finished it yet - you are supposed to listen to the 'mind programming' CD every night for a week. But already I think its starting to work. Ive suffered all my life with low self esteem, and my confidence was at an all time low when my marriage broke up 3 years ago, so its asking a lot to be cured in 7 days! But I have noticed a few changes, like not being too embarrased to speak up in a meeting, and Ive been organising a girly get together for my birthday, so fingers crossed!

mollie Tue 21-Jun-11 08:48:12

Over the years I've dipped in and out of many different self-help books, depending on my 'need' at the time. Some I borrowed from the library and some I've bought. Sometimes the ones I've bought have been a disappointment when I've actually read through them but they've stayed on the shelf for a while until one day I pick one up again and just the right thing jumps out of the page! It would be truthful to say that no one book has been the cure for everything but most of my book choices have left me with something useful...

I think the lesson that sticks most is Dr Phil McGraw's idea that 'we teach people how to treat us'. And Dorothy Rowe's book about depression has been very useful. And a book called 'Refuse to Choose' gave me great insight into my habit of dithering and made me feel better about myself...

frida Tue 21-Jun-11 12:18:57

mollie, I like the sound of Dr Phil's idea, can you remember the name of the book ?

mollie Tue 21-Jun-11 12:56:15

Life Strategies, frida...very straightforward, no holds barred sort of advice but sometimes it's just what you need!