Gransnet forums

Chat

Cardigans on!

(108 Posts)
susiecb Tue 30-Aug-11 15:57:50

Its been so cold today and yesterday its cardigans on time. I'm desparetly searching for nice winter woolies in lovely jewl colous i dont want bto spend the next six months in grey and black. Do let me know if you see anythign nice to buy plse. My feet are blue, all my joints are swollen and I'm cold if it wasn't for hot husband I would have the heating on.
PS The leaves are falling hee in the East Midlands!

absentgrana Tue 30-Aug-11 16:07:00

Leaves are falling here susiecb but husband not hot (more lukeish warm). Cardigans are colourful and cosy and cats cuddle. grin

GrannyTunnocks Tue 30-Aug-11 17:57:55

I have just come home after 3 weeks in switzerland most of time with temperatures around 30 degrees. So it is definitely cardigan time for me. Socks as well and heating switched on.

MrsJamJam Tue 30-Aug-11 18:01:19

We've lit our lovely log fire for the last three evenings, and next week we are off for two weeks of late sunshine on our favourite Greek island. And I do know that I am incredibly lucky!

For jewel colours, susie try Kettlewell colours online.

Hattie64 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:47:52

My husband is never 'hot'. In fact he sits on the sofa frequently wearing his jacket or a big baggy cardigan, this was during the warmer weather. I did put the heater on for an hour last night, I think it is time to get the thicker dressing gown out now. I have three, spring, summer and winter. Most of the knitwear in the shops seems to be the same black and grey.

Baggy Tue 30-Aug-11 20:07:38

We have lit the stove the last few evenings to take the chill off. The chimney bees are very quiet.

elderflower1 Tue 30-Aug-11 20:11:04

My husband is never cold he is sitting watching tv in a t shirt and shorts. I ,on the other hand, am wrapped up in a winter sweater and thick socks. Dare I suggest the heating on for an hour or put a blanket over my knees.

Baggy Tue 30-Aug-11 20:15:52

Been putting a blanket over my knees all summer up here, flower!

Gally Tue 30-Aug-11 20:21:31

Baggy - been doing the same every evening! I will NOT start wearing winter clothes in August, so the result is a very chilly Gally with blue feet.... Have to admit that the heating has been surruptitiously turned on for the last couple of evenings wink

em Tue 30-Aug-11 20:58:58

I'm trying to convince myself that the heating has only been on when the garandchildren stay over and I want the house to be cosy as they come out of the bath. Have to confess however that I have sneaked it on - just a bit - just once or twice!! Had this conversation with DD1 yesterday and worked out that I have gone out in summer dress (with or wthout cardi) on about 6/8 occasions over the 'summer'.
I HATE the autumn! Stuff 'mists and mellow fruitfulness'. The trees look cute and pretty when they are yellow and orange and red because they are DYING OFF (or at least becoming dormant). I'd rather have winter with cosy fires, drawn curtains and hearty soups and casseroles! Autumn is the most depressing time of year for me. Wish I could hibernate from now until my birthday in March - maybe waking up to see the kids for a couple of days at Christmas.

Oldgreymare Tue 30-Aug-11 21:21:42

Em, I do so agree with you (sorry about the so, pedants). I haven't worn my summer dressing gown all summer, fleeces on top of jamas!
As for Autumn, harbinger of doom for me. These grey skies have caused early-onset SAD. Heard a forecaster yesterday say (tongue in cheek) that there were 2 more days of summer left! Huh!

GoldenGran Tue 30-Aug-11 21:45:08

em and oldgreymare, I agree, I see nothing poetic and romantic about autumn mists and dying trees, don't think there is going to be an Indian Summer. I have just re-read this , what a miserable old bag I sound! It is all to do with me having put away summer clothes and donned thick tights and cardis!
I love the summer and am sad we didn't really have one. Also put the heating on tonight!sad

harrigran Tue 30-Aug-11 22:38:26

Definitely cool, the last few nights I have been putting on my pyjamas and towelling dressing gown at 8pm and turning the heating up.

susiecb Wed 31-Aug-11 08:16:03

Off to golf in a fleece this morning - goodbye to brown arms.

Oldgreymare Wed 31-Aug-11 09:17:31

The consolation is we're off somewhere NICE (hint, hint) so can't pack the summer gear away just yet.
Shan't be taking away too many cardies, one, just in case!
Almost afraid to say too much, last minute hitches etc.

Grumpyoldwoman Wed 31-Aug-11 10:16:22

No heating on here yet...did wear a jumper yesterday because I wasn't feeling well, but still had windows and back door open.

I have just ordered a gorgeous cerise cashmere jumper from M&S (on offer til last night) and can't wait to wear it. Cashmere is the only wool I can wear as I am allergic to even a tiny percentage of wool. (that is my story and I am sticking to it grin)

As I have said on another thread ..I NEVER have cold feet and never wear socks. I'll still be wearing my fitflops in the house all winter and Fitflop sheepskin boots with bare feet when it is very cold outside. I even wear wellies without socks. I very rarely have cold hands either...maybe I have a cold heart !!!!!!
M&S do have some nice colours in some of their knitwear ranges.

Oh ...I love Autumn !!!! (except for all the bl@@dy hedgehogs I have to remove from the garden every night before I can let the dogs out!!)

HildaW Wed 31-Aug-11 14:52:43

Grumpy...............be kind to the Hedgehogs.....there are getting scarce..and they are such a wonderfully daft British creature (and great for dispatching slugs).

We are new to this very deepest bit of Herefordshire and have noticed that we are down to our last few swallows....its been a real joy having them and the House Martins and even some Swifts all summer long...I shall be so sad when I wake up one moring this week or next and realise they have all gone.

P.S. Lands end is good for cardigans.

Baggy Wed 31-Aug-11 15:28:26

hilda, our local house martins left a while ago but we still get overnight lodgers travelling south from more northerly parts. The birds snuggle down in the nests on our house and then are off again after breakfast next morning. One year it was 13 October before they had all left (and then a week later there was snow on the hills!) but they are leaving earlier this year — wetter spring, colder summer, so not so many broods, I suppose. Beautiful birds, aren't they? I always look forward to their return in the spring.

jogginggirl Wed 31-Aug-11 15:39:24

Oops.............not looking forward to returning to cooler climes then..........still warm here in SW France and eating outside every evening!! How to bottle it and keep it going through the English winter? Mind you, I do love a log burning fire..............smile

Jacey Wed 31-Aug-11 16:28:31

Well it's official ...coolest summer for 20yrs ...I didn't really need to be told that this has been the coolest, dullest and miserablest summer in years!!

uk.news.yahoo.com/summer-coolest-nearly-20-years-025418331.html

sad

Jenjax Wed 31-Aug-11 17:10:38

We are visiting UK next week (living in Spain), can't wait to feel cool, currently 30 degrees in shade on terrace. Looking forward to turning on the cold tap and cold water coming out!!

HildaW Wed 31-Aug-11 17:55:37

Baggy....yes I have thoughly enjoyed getting used to having the swallows especially.....they sit on the batboxes and 'chitter' away to each other....its been wonderfull....and I shall miss them.

GoldenGran Wed 31-Aug-11 17:58:02

susiecb realise I didn't answer the quest for jewel coloured clothes. Most of the shops I have looked in resort to greys blacks etc; but there are a few nice coloured shirts and tops in John Lewis, and of course Boden does great colours, they are expensive but I think, worth it. Happy shopping grin

Annobel Wed 31-Aug-11 18:46:27

Lakeland.co.uk does some colourful knitwear, mainly in cotton, but has also some cashmere. Watch out for the American sizes, though small, medium and large are pretty much the same both sides of the Atlantic.
GOW, you are so lucky to have warm hands and feet. Such a saving on socks and gloves! I'm sure you don't have a cold heart either. grin

yogagran Wed 31-Aug-11 19:05:49

A bit on the pricey side but for lovely colours have a look at:
www.tulchanonline.co.uk