Gransnet forums

Chat

Cardigans on!

(109 Posts)
susiecb Tue 30-Aug-11 15:57:50

Its been so cold today and yesterday its cardigans on time. I'm desparetly searching for nice winter woolies in lovely jewl colous i dont want bto spend the next six months in grey and black. Do let me know if you see anythign nice to buy plse. My feet are blue, all my joints are swollen and I'm cold if it wasn't for hot husband I would have the heating on.
PS The leaves are falling hee in the East Midlands!

Ariadne Wed 31-Aug-11 19:34:45

"Where are the songs of spring, ay where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too...."

"And gathering swallows twitter in the skies..."

Autumn is mellow - but I have turned the thermostat up!

Grumpyoldwoman Wed 31-Aug-11 19:37:08

Hilda ..I am kind to the Hedgehogs and I understand they are in decline .....but WHY do they have to PARTEE in our garden every night (3 at a time most nights) ??????
Our Yorkies hate them sooo much it is really annoying having to inspect the Garden for them every night (sometimes in pouring rain) and I hate having to pick them up with a plastic shovel or thick gloves. ( only time I wear gloves Ha Ha !!)

We have had lots of Swallows all summer and after a nest of 4 babies in our front porch ...they have started nesting again and I reckon there are more babies in the nest (hope it doesn't get too cold).
I have a gorgeous photo of the babies peeping out of their nest watching me clean the car at the end on July.

We also have literally hundreds of sparrows in and around our garden at the moment....enjoying Harvest time I think.

This thread started with cardigans !!!!!confused

glammanana Wed 31-Aug-11 23:18:58

OK GOW I've got my cardigan on to-day it is so chilly this afternoon,I have been indoor's all day as not feeling to good a wee bit fluie so have been lazy and feet up job most of the day,if I could get away with it I would have the quilt on the settee as well but I think the family would think I was being to over dramatic.

Grumpyoldwoman Thu 01-Sep-11 04:49:11

Poor you Glamma ..hope you are feeling better today.
I was exactly the same on Monday ..aching all over and cold all day ( my hubby knew I must feel ill if I had a jumper on and lying under a rug on the sofa).
I felt fine yesterday (wed) but started with a cold during the night. That's another day or two i will have to keep away from my newborn (9days old) grand-daughter.
Can't sleep as nose streaming and blocked.....never had a cold all last winter !!!!

Gally Thu 01-Sep-11 08:13:35

Grumpy and Glamma - hope you will both feel much improved today. I am off on the long journey south today and have woken with a headache - probably because I always do a full spring-clean before I go anywhere (just in case I don't come back for any reason!!) and wear myself out!grin

Grumpyoldwoman Thu 01-Sep-11 09:16:34

Have a good journey Gally ..hope the headache goes. Know what you mean about the spring clean.
When we went on hols ..hubby and 3 girls would get in the car and I would clean the kitchen floor ..to the door, lock up and join the family !!!

Oldgreymare Thu 01-Sep-11 09:28:51

Safe journey Gally, hope your headache's better. I'm doing exactly the same as you and Grumpyoldwoman.
Cleaning like a madwoman, making jelly-jam(don't want to waste the crab apples)... and I must get up to date with paperwork.... last thing before we go will be changing beds..... I do like to come home to clean sheets.
Phew...I'll be glad of a holiday!

Grumpyoldwoman Thu 01-Sep-11 09:57:24

OGM ..have you got crab apples this year.
We had amazing blossom on our huge tree last years and hundreds of apples...but this year no blossom and no apples. Do they flower and fruit alternate years.? ( we have only been here 3 yrs)
Do you change the beds early and get the ones taken off washed and hung to dry in the house before you set off ??? ...along with pjs and yesterdays clothes of course !!

When our eldest was in her 1st yr at Uni we left her at home to look after the dogs and cats and set off with the other 2 girls for 3 weeks in europe with our caravan. In spite of all the usual routine before we left ....we came home to;

2 linen baskets full of dirty washing
the washing machine full and ironing basket full !!!
Didn't know where to start..before I had even started unpacking the caravan !!!
She had also had friends staying and all the beds needed changing !!!!!!!

Needless to say I was less than chuffed !!!!! angry

GoldenGran Thu 01-Sep-11 10:18:34

Glamma and grumpy, hope you are better and enjoying the unexpected sunshine-if you have some.smile Have a good journey Gally smile

Baggy Thu 01-Sep-11 10:26:02

yoga, thanks for the reminder about tulchan! smile Nice stuff.

goldengirl Thu 01-Sep-11 19:57:34

It's been sunny today but I'm feeling chilly this evening in spite of turning the heating up a tad, so cardy on and I've begun wearing tights again and am rifling through the Boden catalogue for more cardies.

GoldenGran Thu 01-Sep-11 20:28:54

Go for those cardis GoldenGirl I have bought 2, the spotty one in aqua and the Chelsea cardi in brown(they don' call it that). They fit well and look good. I also bought one in TK Maxx, so am all set nowgrin It was a lovely day today, but definitely autumnal. I must stop talking about the weather, it seems the only thing that anyone here seems to talk about, and it's catching.grin

nanapug Thu 01-Sep-11 20:37:09

So pleased to hear that so many people are moaning about the cold. My whole family are telling me that it's lovely, and I am strange taking a hot water bottle to bed and wanting the heating on. It has been silly, and I too have hardly worn any summer clothes. So badly want to be warm.....

harrigran Thu 01-Sep-11 22:52:21

Digging out thirty year old rose bushes, my goodness the roots !
Will put new plants in when extension finished and garden landscaped. Really cool when not in the sunshine.

yogagran Thu 01-Sep-11 23:01:12

I must be the only one still having hot flushes as I've been warm enough today, still got the windows wide open at 11pm and short sleeves - no cardi yet. Mind you - DH is tucked up in bed so I can open everything up and get some fresh air downstairs. Enjoying my personal space as mentioned on another thread

Annobel Thu 01-Sep-11 23:05:45

* harrigran* I found a good way to get a stubborn rose out. Attached a rope to the towing bracket on the car, hitched the other end to the roots and drove away. grin

Baggy Fri 02-Sep-11 06:45:08

annobel, grin

Baggy Fri 02-Sep-11 06:45:40

Were you wearing a cardigan, though?

HildaW Fri 02-Sep-11 08:17:37

No yer no Yoga...I still come over 'all unneccessary' now and again but have put the 2 part duvet back together because even tho I dont like to get too hot in bed I've hated the flimsy feel of the single layer - still like a bit of weight on me at night!

Annobel Fri 02-Sep-11 08:35:12

Baggy, probably grin

susiecb Fri 02-Sep-11 09:00:48

Looks like a warm one today - better make the most of the Indian summer. We are planning our last BBQ tomorrow use up all the sausages and things in the freezer then clean the BBQ and pack it away until the Spring.

As to woollies - went to John Lewis Peterborough yesterday for big woolies and a coat - NOTHING.

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Sep-11 09:07:27

The single layer of my 2-part quilt is still on, but with a throw on the top, now! I need good cardigans which don't sit at my waist (not sure where that is anymore...) and also don't accentuate any fat bit of me at all. I don't think any cardigan has been invented which can do this, but I want one -or three. Nice, bright colours and warm with it. Anyone got any suggestions? hmm

susiecb Fri 02-Sep-11 09:10:49

Last year I bought several from M & S at £18 each which was good value and they wash well. I have bought two gorgeous ones from Boden in lovely colours but they are best best one as they are expensive. Monsoon used to have nice coloured ones but havent seen any this year.

Oldgreymare Fri 02-Sep-11 09:24:39

GOW....what a nightmare! Made even worse when you have a caravan which also has to be clean and tidy before setting off and clean and tidy before storing!

Yes, people do say that apple trees fruit prolifically (?) one year and not so the next BUT ours is a law unto itself and there is no pattern other than cool springs tend to result in a poor crop.

This year we have masses as do our neighbours, and there seem to be masses, too, in the hedgerows (West Country) but we are an 'apple area'.
Wish you lived nearby, you could have some! I've run out of jam jars, and I refuse to buy them at £1 a pot, so have been begging around my friends.

P.S. looks like another lovely day so no cardi today...

HildaW Fri 02-Sep-11 09:29:02

am glad I'm not the only one to confuse Landsend and Lakeland......wink