Gransnet forums

Chat

^That^ sort of day

(6 Posts)
absentgrana Mon 12-Sep-11 19:10:17

It was quite a busy weekend with dinner guests on Saturday and a big family celebration on Sunday, both days involving rather more glasses of wine than was, perhaps, wise.

So today, the cats decided that we should all get going at four o'clock in the morning, banging on the bedroom door and yowling until I got up at six. After feeding them – does cat food really have to smell that awful – I made tea. I reached into the fridge, took out a bottle, poured some of the contents into my mug, returned the bottle to the fridge and headed sleepily to the sitting room and television news. I picked up aforementioned mug and looked at it with horror as I realised that I had added wine, not milk to my tea.

After showering and dressing, I headed into the office to get my accounts in order, but only after a couple of hours work did I realise that I had been entering details about one thing in another's place. As I save as I go along, there was no choice but to scrap the lot and start again.

I duly started again when Mr absent burst into the office to tell me that my trough of lovely balcon geraniums had been blown off the roof above the bay window in the sitting room and across the road. He'd rescued it and mercifully no one – on foot, on a bicycle or in a car – was passing at the time. Other pots of plant then had to be removed from said roof.

Just as were leaving to meet a friend for lunch, I heard a disturbing sound. The cat with the dodgy tummy had deposited a massive squidger on the utility room floor. Cue eight million sheets of jumbo kitchen roll and a gallon of Zoflora.

Met the friend – how pleasant – and then was joined by possibly the world's most boring person. WMBP inevitably joined our table and equally inevitably interrupted the conversation with his own choice of topics (always something in which we have no interest and about which we have no understanding). Short of telling the WMBP to go away and leave me alone, there's no way to get rid of him – and I can't bring myself to be that rude.

We left to come home and just as I was pointing out that I hadn't organised anything for supper, the branch of a tree hit me on the head, blown down by the gales we have up here in the North-east.

I have sorted out something for supper – not exciting – and it's currently sitting in the oven. I shall endeavour to tear myself away from gransnet before it burns – that being the most likely outcome on a day like today – and then, I think, I shall go to bed.

In the words of Scarlet O'Hara: Tomorrow is another day. BUT PLEASE NOT LIKE THIS ONE.

JessM Mon 12-Sep-11 19:55:35

Yes early night called for. Hope the head OK.

emmasnan Mon 12-Sep-11 20:00:52

Hope your head is okay. A dreadful day for you, do hope tomorrow is better!

I'm glad to say I can't match your day, but did pick up a live hedgehog that had hidden in a rubbish bag. Went to put the bag inside another and his spikes came through the bag.(painful). Not sure who was more surprised him or me!

He has now been put into the garden, so glad I found him and didn't put him out for the dustcart tomorrow.

grannyactivist Mon 12-Sep-11 20:28:55

Oh dear absent, rotten day! (sympathy emoticon)
My evening's not so hot; prepared a special dinner for a night in a deux with my lovely husband. Meal ready, candles lit, wine chilling...........no husband! He sent me a text when he was leaving work so I can usually guess to within ten minutes when he'll arrive, but no sign. Switched off oven. Blew out candles. Glugged wine. . . . And just found a text to say he has a meeting this evening! Bah humbug!

absentgrana Tue 13-Sep-11 10:33:57

Thanks – head's okay. Where there's no sense, there's no feeling. However, the night was more of the same. I hate sleeping with shut windows but the 80-mph gusts suggested that it wasn't wise to leave them open, so the night felt very stuffy. Then, in spite of the closed windows and double glazing, I heard what seemed like every burglar alarm within a radius of 10 miles howl, shriek, screech, honk and warble sequentially throughout the night. Still, as they say, worse troubles at sea. Have had some good news today (announced on another thread) so am as happy as Larry – whoever Larry is – grinning like a coal scuttle. grin

JessM Tue 13-Sep-11 12:18:03

better day today then smile