Gransnet forums

Chat

Andy Warhol said ' everyone has 15 minutes of fame '......have you had yours ?

(36 Posts)
lynne Wed 21-Sep-11 16:42:22

Could be when I received an award cheque at the top of BT Tower in London, money to develop an I.T project for a drug/alcohol abuse charity or on Saturday morning childrens TV accepting a prize for a daughter who was on holiday but I reckon it was when I was in Tescos, massive queues behind me.......using self serve for the 1st time...everyone was helpful..haha
(can't do smileys yet)

lynne Wed 21-Sep-11 16:52:01

smile Gally showed me how!

Annobel Wed 21-Sep-11 17:35:38

I was a committee chair on our local council when we had a campaign to encourage dog owners to 'poop scoop'. Ads were placed on buses and I got my photo in the press standing beside a bus with a picture of a steaming pile of dog s***.

glammanana Wed 21-Sep-11 17:47:21

Love it Annobel

numberplease Wed 21-Sep-11 17:49:03

My 15 minutes of fame was in 1997, when I was a contestant on the Ch 4 quiz programme, Fifteen-to-One. I didn`t win, but I wasn`t first out either.

Gally Wed 21-Sep-11 18:00:28

When I was about 10 and in the Brownies (I was a Pixie by the way!) four of us were chosen from my Pack to appear in a slot on, I think it was called Tonight with Cliff Michelmore. We spent a whole day in the freezing cold doing jolly Brownie things like skipping and tying knots overand over again and when the programme went out, I was so excited and we were only on for about 45 seconds - my claim to fame - the other one I will keep quiet about grin

crimson Wed 21-Sep-11 18:16:24

One year at Easter my school had a real donkey for the church service. He lived in the school cloakroom for several days, and it was such a magical experience for us inner city kids. We appeared on one of those 6 o'clock tv programmes a few weeks later [with a different donkey]. I think I was on screen for a nanosecond..the camera homing in on my prettier classmates [sans sticky out ears blush]. Gally; would you, like me, give anything to see it again?

crimson Wed 21-Sep-11 18:17:45

numberplease; Fifteen-to-One was one of my favourite tv programmes..I must have seen you, I never missed it.

Annobel Wed 21-Sep-11 19:16:41

I probably saw you too, numberplease. I miss Fifteen to One - I still think it was one of the best quiz shows and was quite a fan of William G. Stewart.

glassortwo Wed 21-Sep-11 20:42:01

While at school I was a member of a folk bad, we sang at the City Hall in Newcastle, and I cant sing for toffee nowgrin

numberplease Wed 21-Sep-11 21:44:25

Crimson annd Annobel, it was the episode that was aired on July 4th, 1997, but was recorded in May. It was an eye opener as well for me, to find that it took well over 2 hours to record a half hour programme. And William G.Stewart was really, really nice. Hubby still has it on video, won`t let me get rid!

grannyactivist Thu 22-Sep-11 00:04:54

I've had a few minutes of vicarious fame.
My youngest daughter was on Songs of Praise in her last year of Junior school. It was the Mother's Day edition and as well as singing in the choir she was interviewed about me. She was making a card for me at school and described how special I was and that I was her best friend.........aaaahh, you're thinking. Not so. We watched the programme as a family when it was aired and when her bit came to an end I turned to her with rather watery eyes - only for her to look straight into my eyes and say, with a completely dead pan expression, "I lied".
shock confused

Oldgreymare Thu 22-Sep-11 01:31:36

Many years ago my clever but eccentric uncle made a replica of the Queen's Coronation Coach. When the Queen was due to be driven along a road towards Caernarfon, he stationed the coach in an entrance gateway along with a group of children dressed as coachmen, postilions and even a 'Fairy Queen'. I was one of those children, we appeared fleetingly on Pathe News!
Gosh that dates me!!!

Joan Thu 22-Sep-11 07:20:32

Not quite fame - but when I did nearly cause a riot in a Portsmouth Naafi club back in 1967. You see, coming from near Leeds, we were quite ahead of fashion, and I bought a gorgeous micro mini dress. It was jersey wool, orange with brightly coloured stripes across the bust and hem. I wore it with my kinky boots and together with my new husband we went for a night out - our first since getting married and moving near his Navy base.

Well, minis had not arrived at that particular part of Portsmouth - for the first and only time in my life I was ahead of fashion - in a mini - surrounded by sailors - on pay day...... If we had stayed Terry would have had a hundred punch ups and ended up in DQs, so we beat a hasty retreat.

The only other thing was a radio broadcast on our local ethnic radio station. A group of 5 of us from my German course did a half hour German language presentation. It was quite well received by the handful of local German speakers.

Annobel Thu 22-Sep-11 07:35:58

joan what a vision. You took me right back to the 60s. grin

susiecb Thu 22-Sep-11 10:21:57

No fame for me but DH was on Esther Rantzen singing about a man who had complained to the council about the siting of a bus stop outside his outside loo. DH sat at the head of a boardroom table leading a group of people singing the council response - he shudders to think about it now!

absentgrana Thu 22-Sep-11 11:45:15

My daughter once asked if I had ever googled my (unusual) name – an activity that struck me as self-indulgently shameful. However, with my curiosity piqued and rather sheepishly, I thought I'd have a look, expecting, at the most, half a dozen bits and pieces. I was staggered to find thousands of references. However, virtually all them are tediously boring catalogue details from bookshops, etc., rather than blogs about my wondrousness, adoring fan sites, paeans of praise or even mild approval. I think that is exactly the non-famous sort of fame Andy Warhol was talking about.

HildaW Thu 22-Sep-11 18:28:45

Yes, just a bit. I met husband number 2 through a now defunct dating organisation called Dateline, it used to advertise in all the papers and mags. I was newly divorced with a toddler, what chance had I of going out and meeting someone nice? Any way we were one of their success and they used us for an advertising campaign. We did a couple of radio interviews and there was once upon a time a whole London underground escalator that had pictures of us all the way up! It was fun whilst it lasted and they sent us a fee of £50 which we spent on a climbing frame for daughter! P.S. we celebrated silver wedding 3 years ago!

Baggy Thu 22-Sep-11 21:00:49

Danced (Scottish) on the Clive Anderson show once with some other folks from Oxford, including the rather famous professor who was the real pull for the programme.

supernana Fri 23-Sep-11 13:20:45

I've a lovely image of you dancing Strip the Willow, Baggy smile

We were in a restaurant when I noticed that a friend was distressed and turning blue. Her husband seated beside her was wheelchair-bound and no one realised that there was a problem. I performed the Heimlich Maneuver on the patient. A large lump of meat shot from her throat across the table. She was in tears but thankfully, all was well, and we enjoyed the remainder of our evening in peace.

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 14:05:41

supernana you saved a life. That's just brilliant. We should all be able to do that manoeuvre.

greenmossgiel Fri 23-Sep-11 14:23:43

Had to do the Heimlich Manoeuvre a few times (worked in a care facility). The wonder of making things alright again so quickly is amazing! No claim to fame as such, but many years ago in the depth of a wickedly bad winter our 'Founder', Leonard Cheshire, phoned our 'Home'! He was terribly worried that the staff wouldn't be able to make it to work to look after everybody. I'd been busy doing something else when the phone rang and one of the care staff picked it up. She shouted me to the phone, saying someone called 'Len' wanted to talk to the person in charge. When I picked up the phone this lovely gentle voice asked me if everyone was going to be ok? How did the staff manage to get to work in the snow - especially if they used scooters? (I really don't know why he thought thought they would have scooters, but anyway...!) I was able to put his mind at rest and tell him that everyone was cosily settled in and the staff (as usual) were doing a fine job! smile

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 14:32:46

Hilda, I don't think I had my photo on the Tube, but when I lost weight with WW, I had my picture (not airbrushed) in their autumn advertising campaign in 1982, so appeared in all the women's mags and Radio Times etc. Wish I still looked like that.wink

supernana Fri 23-Sep-11 15:15:54

Annobel Do you still have the picture? We'd love to see it. When hot-pants first became hip, I was the first to wear a pair in the sales promotion department of a large American company. Caused a bit of a steam-up! Sadly, no pics available.

HildaW Fri 23-Sep-11 18:11:57

Awww Annobel, how jolly glamourous!