Gransnet forums

Chat

Andy Warhol said ' everyone has 15 minutes of fame '......have you had yours ?

(37 Posts)
lynne Wed 21-Sep-11 16:42:22

Could be when I received an award cheque at the top of BT Tower in London, money to develop an I.T project for a drug/alcohol abuse charity or on Saturday morning childrens TV accepting a prize for a daughter who was on holiday but I reckon it was when I was in Tescos, massive queues behind me.......using self serve for the 1st time...everyone was helpful..haha
(can't do smileys yet)

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 18:28:11

supernana, you'd have to twist my arm very hard to persuade me to display that picture!

Grumpyoldwoman Fri 23-Sep-11 19:45:51

The 'Hot Pants'' comment reminded me of my first teaching job when I was 21 and newly married. We held a PTA fashion show with some of the older girls and myself modelling hot pants( slim slip of a thing then). There was a half page picture in the local paper with the headline
'Spot the Mrs among the Misses !!!'' A few pupils took great delight in telling me that their Dads had guessed wrong !! (I still have the paper)

I was going to mention the Sock Monkey I sent to Lorraine Kelly over a year ago when Dundee reached the Scottish Cup Final..It was bright orange and black stripe and she had it on the programme the Thursday before the match and showed it to all her guests (she mentioned my name !!)
There was also a picture of Lorraine with the Monkey in the 'Sky' magazine which we usually throw away..but my Hubby opened it.

Nothing very exciting but I have a nice letter from Lorraine !!

snailspeak Fri 23-Sep-11 20:48:18

My claim to fame started with a letter I wrote to the Daily Telegraph regarding Gideon Bibles in hotel rooms. An early morning phone call invited me to speak on Jeremy Vine's radio show of which I knew little. At first I refused as I was just on my way to the gym but the offer of a chauffeur driven car seduced me and the chauffeur who was more used to people in suits with brimming briefcases and not Grans in gym kit.

Well, I got a right b-----d challenging my opinion - a complete holier than thou know-all but I did manage to get in a few digs and friends who were in the know said that I had held my own and argued my case forcefully. It was not helped that I was in a studio on my own when the line to London went down and I was rushed gasping to a different studio.

Then the nice man from our local station asked me to be interviewed by him as he was impressed with the way that I had handled myself, warning at the same time that he would be putting some 'nasty' questions to me. That was much easier as it was face to face and I hold very good eye contact. My friends recorded it all for me. Must go and search out that tape and have another listen, or is that gloat.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Never write letters to newspapers however good you think they are.

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 21:04:28

Why not gloat? You obviously held your own very well. Gym kit, eh? What a pity it wasn't TV wink

I once had to go on a phone interview with You and Yours on Radio 4 about a decision we made on the Council about genetically modified foods. It was a very gentle interview, unlike the time I had to go on local radio and defend myself against a representative of rather cross dinner ladies!

absentgrana Sat 24-Sep-11 11:40:45

Annobel The first radio interview I ever did was recorded for You and Yours. I was very nervous, but the interviewer was kind and supportive and when I stopped looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights, suggested we started the recording. I took a deep breath to help me relax, crossed my legs – and booted an empty metal waste paper bin from one side of the studio to the other.

supernana Sat 24-Sep-11 12:11:15

absentgrana...chuckle!

Annobel Sat 24-Sep-11 12:37:22

absent grin

Granny23 Sat 24-Sep-11 12:42:06

I was once interviewed live on local radio in a tea time 'charity chat' spot, representing Women's Aid. There was a huge openair music event on in the town that night and as the regular presenter had gone to report live from there, I was interviewed instead by the station's sports reporter who was quite unused to the chat, play record, chat again format and was very nervous. We started off quite well but in the third slot he deviated from the prearranged questions and launched forth into a a very detailed account of the experiences of a close friend/relative of his who had been horrendously abused by her so called 'loving' husband. He became quite incoherent, shoved on the next record and broke down sobbing!! Nightmare!! Frantic waving at the guy in the control booth elicited a cup of tea for my interviewer and then the control guy just played the playlist back to back while I used all my counselling skills to get the presenter calmed down. We only got back on air towards the end when I gave out the contact details for my group and binned all my carefully worded question replies.

Thankfully, everyone I know was either on route to the event or already there bopping to Runrig, except my DH who had dutifully listened and declared that I was terrible - 'What happened to you? Did you dry up?'

glammanana Sat 24-Sep-11 22:44:36

I gave half a bottle of coke (they didn't do can's then) to Paul McCartney at The Cavern one dinner time when he had no change,well that was his excuse I wonder if he still has no money in his pocket's now.

Annobel Sun 25-Sep-11 08:48:03

Did you get the bottle back and preserve it for posterity with Macca's fingerprints on it? wink

glammanana Sun 25-Sep-11 09:38:58

Annobel forsight is a wonderful thing isn't it,they where not that famous then we used to go to the club in our dinner hour then again after work,my parent's thought I was going to shorthand class's at the time,my dad said I shoudn't go to place's like that with group's who where wasting their time and should get proper job's.I still see him now as the family have a house not far from us on The Wirral but I bet he wouldn't recognise the nana who gave him that drink all those year's ago.(wonder if I will get invite to his wedding)?grin