Gransnet forums

Chat

Andy Warhol said ' everyone has 15 minutes of fame '......have you had yours ?

(37 Posts)
lynne Wed 21-Sep-11 16:42:22

Could be when I received an award cheque at the top of BT Tower in London, money to develop an I.T project for a drug/alcohol abuse charity or on Saturday morning childrens TV accepting a prize for a daughter who was on holiday but I reckon it was when I was in Tescos, massive queues behind me.......using self serve for the 1st time...everyone was helpful..haha
(can't do smileys yet)

glammanana Sun 25-Sep-11 09:38:58

Annobel forsight is a wonderful thing isn't it,they where not that famous then we used to go to the club in our dinner hour then again after work,my parent's thought I was going to shorthand class's at the time,my dad said I shoudn't go to place's like that with group's who where wasting their time and should get proper job's.I still see him now as the family have a house not far from us on The Wirral but I bet he wouldn't recognise the nana who gave him that drink all those year's ago.(wonder if I will get invite to his wedding)?grin

Annobel Sun 25-Sep-11 08:48:03

Did you get the bottle back and preserve it for posterity with Macca's fingerprints on it? wink

glammanana Sat 24-Sep-11 22:44:36

I gave half a bottle of coke (they didn't do can's then) to Paul McCartney at The Cavern one dinner time when he had no change,well that was his excuse I wonder if he still has no money in his pocket's now.

Granny23 Sat 24-Sep-11 12:42:06

I was once interviewed live on local radio in a tea time 'charity chat' spot, representing Women's Aid. There was a huge openair music event on in the town that night and as the regular presenter had gone to report live from there, I was interviewed instead by the station's sports reporter who was quite unused to the chat, play record, chat again format and was very nervous. We started off quite well but in the third slot he deviated from the prearranged questions and launched forth into a a very detailed account of the experiences of a close friend/relative of his who had been horrendously abused by her so called 'loving' husband. He became quite incoherent, shoved on the next record and broke down sobbing!! Nightmare!! Frantic waving at the guy in the control booth elicited a cup of tea for my interviewer and then the control guy just played the playlist back to back while I used all my counselling skills to get the presenter calmed down. We only got back on air towards the end when I gave out the contact details for my group and binned all my carefully worded question replies.

Thankfully, everyone I know was either on route to the event or already there bopping to Runrig, except my DH who had dutifully listened and declared that I was terrible - 'What happened to you? Did you dry up?'

Annobel Sat 24-Sep-11 12:37:22

absent grin

supernana Sat 24-Sep-11 12:11:15

absentgrana...chuckle!

absentgrana Sat 24-Sep-11 11:40:45

Annobel The first radio interview I ever did was recorded for You and Yours. I was very nervous, but the interviewer was kind and supportive and when I stopped looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights, suggested we started the recording. I took a deep breath to help me relax, crossed my legs – and booted an empty metal waste paper bin from one side of the studio to the other.

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 21:04:28

Why not gloat? You obviously held your own very well. Gym kit, eh? What a pity it wasn't TV wink

I once had to go on a phone interview with You and Yours on Radio 4 about a decision we made on the Council about genetically modified foods. It was a very gentle interview, unlike the time I had to go on local radio and defend myself against a representative of rather cross dinner ladies!

snailspeak Fri 23-Sep-11 20:48:18

My claim to fame started with a letter I wrote to the Daily Telegraph regarding Gideon Bibles in hotel rooms. An early morning phone call invited me to speak on Jeremy Vine's radio show of which I knew little. At first I refused as I was just on my way to the gym but the offer of a chauffeur driven car seduced me and the chauffeur who was more used to people in suits with brimming briefcases and not Grans in gym kit.

Well, I got a right b-----d challenging my opinion - a complete holier than thou know-all but I did manage to get in a few digs and friends who were in the know said that I had held my own and argued my case forcefully. It was not helped that I was in a studio on my own when the line to London went down and I was rushed gasping to a different studio.

Then the nice man from our local station asked me to be interviewed by him as he was impressed with the way that I had handled myself, warning at the same time that he would be putting some 'nasty' questions to me. That was much easier as it was face to face and I hold very good eye contact. My friends recorded it all for me. Must go and search out that tape and have another listen, or is that gloat.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Never write letters to newspapers however good you think they are.

Grumpyoldwoman Fri 23-Sep-11 19:45:51

The 'Hot Pants'' comment reminded me of my first teaching job when I was 21 and newly married. We held a PTA fashion show with some of the older girls and myself modelling hot pants( slim slip of a thing then). There was a half page picture in the local paper with the headline
'Spot the Mrs among the Misses !!!'' A few pupils took great delight in telling me that their Dads had guessed wrong !! (I still have the paper)

I was going to mention the Sock Monkey I sent to Lorraine Kelly over a year ago when Dundee reached the Scottish Cup Final..It was bright orange and black stripe and she had it on the programme the Thursday before the match and showed it to all her guests (she mentioned my name !!)
There was also a picture of Lorraine with the Monkey in the 'Sky' magazine which we usually throw away..but my Hubby opened it.

Nothing very exciting but I have a nice letter from Lorraine !!

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 18:28:11

supernana, you'd have to twist my arm very hard to persuade me to display that picture!

HildaW Fri 23-Sep-11 18:11:57

Awww Annobel, how jolly glamourous!

supernana Fri 23-Sep-11 15:15:54

Annobel Do you still have the picture? We'd love to see it. When hot-pants first became hip, I was the first to wear a pair in the sales promotion department of a large American company. Caused a bit of a steam-up! Sadly, no pics available.

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 14:32:46

Hilda, I don't think I had my photo on the Tube, but when I lost weight with WW, I had my picture (not airbrushed) in their autumn advertising campaign in 1982, so appeared in all the women's mags and Radio Times etc. Wish I still looked like that.wink

greenmossgiel Fri 23-Sep-11 14:23:43

Had to do the Heimlich Manoeuvre a few times (worked in a care facility). The wonder of making things alright again so quickly is amazing! No claim to fame as such, but many years ago in the depth of a wickedly bad winter our 'Founder', Leonard Cheshire, phoned our 'Home'! He was terribly worried that the staff wouldn't be able to make it to work to look after everybody. I'd been busy doing something else when the phone rang and one of the care staff picked it up. She shouted me to the phone, saying someone called 'Len' wanted to talk to the person in charge. When I picked up the phone this lovely gentle voice asked me if everyone was going to be ok? How did the staff manage to get to work in the snow - especially if they used scooters? (I really don't know why he thought thought they would have scooters, but anyway...!) I was able to put his mind at rest and tell him that everyone was cosily settled in and the staff (as usual) were doing a fine job! smile

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 14:05:41

supernana you saved a life. That's just brilliant. We should all be able to do that manoeuvre.

supernana Fri 23-Sep-11 13:20:45

I've a lovely image of you dancing Strip the Willow, Baggy smile

We were in a restaurant when I noticed that a friend was distressed and turning blue. Her husband seated beside her was wheelchair-bound and no one realised that there was a problem. I performed the Heimlich Maneuver on the patient. A large lump of meat shot from her throat across the table. She was in tears but thankfully, all was well, and we enjoyed the remainder of our evening in peace.

Baggy Thu 22-Sep-11 21:00:49

Danced (Scottish) on the Clive Anderson show once with some other folks from Oxford, including the rather famous professor who was the real pull for the programme.

HildaW Thu 22-Sep-11 18:28:45

Yes, just a bit. I met husband number 2 through a now defunct dating organisation called Dateline, it used to advertise in all the papers and mags. I was newly divorced with a toddler, what chance had I of going out and meeting someone nice? Any way we were one of their success and they used us for an advertising campaign. We did a couple of radio interviews and there was once upon a time a whole London underground escalator that had pictures of us all the way up! It was fun whilst it lasted and they sent us a fee of £50 which we spent on a climbing frame for daughter! P.S. we celebrated silver wedding 3 years ago!

absentgrana Thu 22-Sep-11 11:45:15

My daughter once asked if I had ever googled my (unusual) name – an activity that struck me as self-indulgently shameful. However, with my curiosity piqued and rather sheepishly, I thought I'd have a look, expecting, at the most, half a dozen bits and pieces. I was staggered to find thousands of references. However, virtually all them are tediously boring catalogue details from bookshops, etc., rather than blogs about my wondrousness, adoring fan sites, paeans of praise or even mild approval. I think that is exactly the non-famous sort of fame Andy Warhol was talking about.

susiecb Thu 22-Sep-11 10:21:57

No fame for me but DH was on Esther Rantzen singing about a man who had complained to the council about the siting of a bus stop outside his outside loo. DH sat at the head of a boardroom table leading a group of people singing the council response - he shudders to think about it now!

Annobel Thu 22-Sep-11 07:35:58

joan what a vision. You took me right back to the 60s. grin

Joan Thu 22-Sep-11 07:20:32

Not quite fame - but when I did nearly cause a riot in a Portsmouth Naafi club back in 1967. You see, coming from near Leeds, we were quite ahead of fashion, and I bought a gorgeous micro mini dress. It was jersey wool, orange with brightly coloured stripes across the bust and hem. I wore it with my kinky boots and together with my new husband we went for a night out - our first since getting married and moving near his Navy base.

Well, minis had not arrived at that particular part of Portsmouth - for the first and only time in my life I was ahead of fashion - in a mini - surrounded by sailors - on pay day...... If we had stayed Terry would have had a hundred punch ups and ended up in DQs, so we beat a hasty retreat.

The only other thing was a radio broadcast on our local ethnic radio station. A group of 5 of us from my German course did a half hour German language presentation. It was quite well received by the handful of local German speakers.

Oldgreymare Thu 22-Sep-11 01:31:36

Many years ago my clever but eccentric uncle made a replica of the Queen's Coronation Coach. When the Queen was due to be driven along a road towards Caernarfon, he stationed the coach in an entrance gateway along with a group of children dressed as coachmen, postilions and even a 'Fairy Queen'. I was one of those children, we appeared fleetingly on Pathe News!
Gosh that dates me!!!

grannyactivist Thu 22-Sep-11 00:04:54

I've had a few minutes of vicarious fame.
My youngest daughter was on Songs of Praise in her last year of Junior school. It was the Mother's Day edition and as well as singing in the choir she was interviewed about me. She was making a card for me at school and described how special I was and that I was her best friend.........aaaahh, you're thinking. Not so. We watched the programme as a family when it was aired and when her bit came to an end I turned to her with rather watery eyes - only for her to look straight into my eyes and say, with a completely dead pan expression, "I lied".
shock confused