Gransnet forums

Chat

The great british bake off masterclass last night - did anyone watch it?

(7 Posts)
Woody Fri 07-Oct-11 10:45:26

Couldn't bear to watch that Paul (can never remember his surname!) using his fingers all the time!!! i was shouting at the screen "use a spoon" and then when he mixed buttercream icing with his hands that was the final straw, I dont think Mary Berry was too impressed either. He always seems such a " I can't do anything wrong" type of person although I do think he wasnt quite as rude to the bakers this series. I know its a competition but there are ways of criticising kindly.

shysal Fri 07-Oct-11 13:03:36

I sensed that Paul Hollywood felt overshadowed by Mary Berry. After all he only seems able to make bread. I too was amazed to see him use his hands for butter cream! He is rather bumptious isn't he ?

gangy5 Fri 07-Oct-11 16:59:58

He is (Paul) a bit up his BS isn't he? - trying to look clever. I don't know how Mary remained so gracious - but then she is a real lady isn't she? To me she is a true icon of British cooking.
I know that alot of professionals make pastry and bread with their hands but NOT buttercream - that's just ridiculous!

Charlotta Fri 07-Oct-11 21:34:20

I can't get exited about Mary. When someone gave me her Cakes Book, I had never heard of her. I tried to get along with it and then binned it. I make good cakes and better pastry and the family all say I take after my mother, and can't see what all the fuss is about. Her things are TOO sweet.

I thought the best baker won but wouldn't spend so much time on baking cakes. I know from friends in Austria that Sacher Torte or cake as its called here, is left for 24 hours in a cool room before any attempt is made to ice and decorate it. No wonder theirs looked such a mess.

Grumpyoldwoman Fri 07-Oct-11 23:01:44

I forgot it was on ..I think I would be shouting at the TV too.
I have ordered the new book ...but will probably give it as a present !

glammanana Fri 07-Oct-11 23:19:29

Just read an article in local paper about Paul Hollywood I didn't know he was from here on The Wirral,also one of the quarter finalist's Yasmin bake's cake's for cafe's in West Kirby near where I live,such a small world,I will have to go on a cake tasting afternoon if the write-ups in the paper are anything to go by.

shysal Mon 10-Oct-11 10:15:25

Looking forward to this week's show including roulade and pork pies, both of which I used to make a lot, quite successfully I think , but probably not up to Paul's standard. I wonder how many times he will mention gluten in this programme, I wish I had done a count last week, it seems to be his favourite topic, thinks it will impress us!
I have bought the Lorraine Pascale book to go with her current series, it has some great comfort food in it. I will copy out some recipes then give it away as a birthday present.