Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is it that....

(23 Posts)
Butternut Thu 13-Oct-11 18:24:55

Grandsnet is so addictive??

confused

greenmossgiel Thu 13-Oct-11 18:30:43

I don't know the answer to that either, Butternut! I sometimes sit here with the laptop on my knee and scroll up and down and feel quite bereft if no-one has posted for a while. I do have to say though, that it has been a really big help to me. I was very sad and worried a couple of weeks ago and the support I received was so warm and helpful. Long live Gransnet (and all who sail in her!) smile thanks

Butternut Thu 13-Oct-11 18:35:45

That's lovely, greenmossgiel, for you to have received such heartfelt support. I am sure many others feel the same way, too.
grin

Butternut Thu 13-Oct-11 18:36:27

That was supposed to be smile

nannysgetpaid Thu 13-Oct-11 19:08:40

I don't know either but I find myself looking in at all hours of the day. I do not always post but when I do have always felt supported. I have been cheered up, made to laugh and cry by your comments. As a person who always keeps things to herself (do not want to worry or upset people) this is an outlet for my feelings and frustrations. Than you fellow gransnetters. thanks

Ariadne Thu 13-Oct-11 19:29:09

I love the fact that there's always someone there, and it will usually be someone with whom I can identify, and I know I can say what I think and want to say. All these friends....smile

nanachrissy Thu 13-Oct-11 19:49:13

I think it's wonderful too. Everyone feels like a friend and you can never have too many. I like the fact that no-one swears and most people can spell and put a sentence together. I recommend it to my friends and then worry in case I've said anything I shouldn't have!! Definitely addicted!! grin

MrsJamJam Thu 13-Oct-11 19:58:05

Its like having a conversation with friends. Sometimes we don't agree, but we can have different opinions while remaining friendly, and its also a wonderful place to look for a bit of sensible support and advice. I don't post very often, but often log on for a quick look.

If anyone can tell me how I can get my new android phone to allow me to look when I'm not at home there will be no stopping me!

Gally Thu 13-Oct-11 20:19:36

Some days I find myself looking at GN every time I pass the pc - on others I just want to ignore it as I feel a compulsion coming on. I think the fact that we are all incognito helps and we can come out with things that we wouldn't dare discuss with our nearest and dearest, yet everyone seems our best friend - well some of them don't shock. Also, hearing about other peoples' problems certainly puts one's own into perspective. Imagine if we met - I wonder if we would recognise each other without saying a word - somehow I doubt it! I enjoy the banter and can be 'aff ma face on occasion which can be good for the soul.wink

nanachrissy Thu 13-Oct-11 20:46:47

Perhaps we should have a little lapel badge so that we could recognise a fellow Gnetter, like a secret club!! smile

nanachrissy Thu 13-Oct-11 20:50:16

We could buy them from GNHQ and donate a percentage to charity! I like It!!

nannysgetpaid Thu 13-Oct-11 21:01:20

I love the idea of a badge. Can we do it?

Notsogrand Thu 13-Oct-11 21:15:58

Or we could make our own very simple badge from a twist of ribbon. We'd just all need to decide on a colour.

Carol Thu 13-Oct-11 21:16:02

Yes, I like the idea of a Gransnetter badge and would happily pay enough for a charity donation. Very easy to do through Paypal.

greenmossgiel Thu 13-Oct-11 21:22:55

That would be a great idea! We would have to devise a secret sign to show that we'd recognised each other.(Listen very carefully....I will say this only once....)! grin

Nannyliz Thu 13-Oct-11 23:05:45

Like you, MrsJamJam and nannygetspaid I don't often post but I do like to log in most days and read the posts to see what's happening to my virtual friends.
Like Gally said hearing about other people's problems certainly puts our problems into perspective. It's also brilliant to be able to talk endlessly about our darling GCs to other Grannies who, if they are anything like me, love to hear about other peoples GCs. Love it!

Love the idea of a badge. A secret sign......mmmm now let me think.... a raised eybrow or two maybe!! wink

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 23:18:35

The idea of a badge was raised a few month's ago on another thread and it got a really good response then so I think it's a fab idea,we could make our own funny handshake or private and personal greeting that only GNers would understand.Food for thought there girl's.smile

Ariadne Fri 14-Oct-11 06:38:24

Love it!

Gally Fri 14-Oct-11 08:41:04

greenmoss - 'allo 'allo. I like it!
Cari/Josie are you watching ??
wink

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Oct-11 09:22:52

We are always watching, Gally...
<mysterious>
Badge, eh? Sounds very interesting. We'll investigate and see how feasible it is.

I would imagine we'd need to know that lots of people would buy them, so please keep adding your thoughts here if you think it's a good/bad idea or any suggestions.

ps. All the lovely comments about Gransnet here are so so lovely for us to read. We think the answer to the original question is very simple... our wonderful members!smilethanks

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 09:54:48

finger down throat emoticon? grin winkwinkwink

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 09:55:22

I wouldn't wear a badge! No flipping way!! shock

glammanana Fri 14-Oct-11 10:54:05

Sure your finger's down throat not caused by eating to many cupcakecupcakecupcakewink