Gransnet forums

Chat

Handholding required please

(82 Posts)
tingaloo Wed 19-Oct-11 19:51:47

I feel as if I'm on an emotional rollercoaster.
My first grandchild was born ten days ago. He is gorgeous, and I am totally in love.
DH has just been given an urgent appointment at the local hospital chest clinic after a lung CT scan. The GP says his lungs are "a mess", and that it could be lung cancer. He reckoned he would have about 5 years. The appointment is next Monday. DH refuses to discuss it until the appointment, but I can tell he is not sleeping as neither am I. We are lying in silence with him refusing to communicate.
I am just so full of adrenaline. I will be able to cope with bad news - it is just not being able to communicate, and waiting til Monday.

Jacey Tue 01-Nov-11 22:05:27

That's a more positive outcome ...really pleased for you both. Best wishes

Carol Tue 01-Nov-11 21:39:04

Hi Tingaloo. It's good that you have a positive diagnosis - what a shame the premature comments were made that were so devastating for you. I know a couple of people with asbestosis from over 40 years ago when they worked in manufacturing - both in their 70s and have good and bad days, but able to enjoy life, go on cruises, and neither have been housebound or had to have extensive hospital stays. Their treatment and management of the condition has been first class, and I hope your DH gets the same good care. Best wishes xx

tingaloo Tue 01-Nov-11 21:28:39

An update on DH - he saw the consultant today. It is not COPD but asbestosis - he used to work in the building trade about 25-30 years ago, and it takes this long to show up. They don't think it is the progressive variety, but there is no cure for the breathlessness, coughing etc. He will have regular CT scans. Will have to put it to the back of our minds now, and get on with things.
Seeing a lot of DGS. What a joy.
Thanks again for handholding and kind thoughts.

Ariadne Wed 26-Oct-11 15:21:18

Glad to hear your news, Tingaloo. Big hug!

lucid Wed 26-Oct-11 12:43:35

gracesmum I have been a widow for almost 12 years after 25years of a very happy marriage. My DH's cancer was very aggressive but MRSA got him (after an op to try to remove the tumour)!
I didn't want to actually say so before, tingaloo had enough to worry about. I've been living with my new partner for 3 years.....so have made another life for myself. Thank you for your concern....it made me smile to myself that someone I don't know cares.

gracesmum Wed 26-Oct-11 11:39:09

.lucid - I am sorry to hear that and hope that events have turned out better for you and your DH than your post suggests?

susiecb Wed 26-Oct-11 09:46:53

Tingaloo I am so pleased the news was better than ecxpected but of course you are still concnerned and it sounds as though your DH is not feeling too well. I used to manage a COPD nursing service and there is so much that can be done to relieve the symptoms that I am sure they will have him feeling better in no time. Best wishes to you bothsmile

kittylester Wed 26-Oct-11 09:13:07

gracesmum I could do with my mum having rather less energy. The reason she has a walker is because she broke her pelvis helping to set up stalls for a fete! I definitely feel too old to cope! smile

lucid Tue 25-Oct-11 19:58:51

tingaloo I'm so pleased that the news was much better than expected...I was mentally crossing my fingers for you yesterday. I expect you are both relieved.

GP's need more training in breaking news to patients, my own DH was told over the phone, whilst at work, that he had an aggressive cancer. He then phoned me and I had to drive over to talk to him. I could have wrung the neck of the stupid GP.angry (Not our own GP I hasten to add...he was wonderful)

gracesmum Tue 25-Oct-11 17:08:54

I could do with some of kittylester's mum's "new" medication and I'm a quite bit short of 87!

Way to go gransmum!!!

kittylester Tue 25-Oct-11 14:56:14

tingaloo my 87 year old mum has COPD and yesterday I caught her, with her walking frame, running up the corridor of her residential home to catch the lift! The GP changed her medication at her last check up and the change has been amazing. Enjoy you new addition and the sense of relief! thanks

yogagran Tue 25-Oct-11 13:54:19

Good news tingaloo - what a great relief to you both. Thanks for letting us know smile

Mishap Tue 25-Oct-11 11:31:48

Good news - very glad for you. I am sure his condition can be managed.

Libradi Tue 25-Oct-11 09:46:40

Really pleased to hear your news tingaloo been thinking of you. thanks

Faye Tue 25-Oct-11 03:12:06

I am very glad to hear your news tingaloo, what a relief! smile

harrigran Tue 25-Oct-11 00:23:51

I am sure you are relieved today is over tingaloo now you can get down to coping with the condition smile

glassortwo Mon 24-Oct-11 22:52:50

Thought about you both today tinga, thats a relief. Have a good nights sleep smile

em Mon 24-Oct-11 22:41:08

My daughter had an apology from her GP surgery recently. She'd had a minor op and biopsies were taken (she was told) so that they could identify precisely which antibiotic would work best. She phoned for results and spoke to a doctor who didn't know her case but looked at the test results anyway. He then said he couldn't be sure but didn't THINK any cancer showed up. This came as a huge shock and next day her consultant at the hospital confirmed that all was well. But why on earth did he say anything at all when he simply did not know what he was talking about? As I said, she did receive an apology.
I can undersand how worrying your situation was and I'm glad you're coming through it. Now you can relax a bit and enjoy that new baby.

Annika Mon 24-Oct-11 22:31:17

good news Tingaloo I think that doctor of yours needs to say sorry for all the worry he has given you over the weekend.thanks

bikergran Mon 24-Oct-11 22:19:35

that is better news than what you expected....at least the will take measures and make thinsg nmore comfortable for your DH..smile

ronald Mon 24-Oct-11 21:51:50

Very happy to hear yuor news about DH from all the messages sent it seems it should be well managable.I'm sure you,ll have a good nights sleep tonight and you can look forward to tommorrow knowing whats ahead.
I wouldn't wish Lung Cancer and chemo on anyone'terrible,I think my GP was giving me the standard forecast for it.So I gathered all the statistics and read as much as I could on the subject.The fact that I was having an operation to remove the lung immediately improved my chances by more than 50%.other factors moved the figure up to 80% so I was sure I would be OK.Bavery had nothing to do with it.

Jacey Mon 24-Oct-11 21:41:40

What a relief Tingaloo wine

jogginggirl Mon 24-Oct-11 21:19:36

Good news Tingaloo smile xx

feldmarschallin Mon 24-Oct-11 20:35:26

Many thanks, Tingaloo, for letting us know your news. You've been much in my thoughts today. So - you know what you're up against and it's not so bad as you feared. You must be so relieved. Sleep well! And the handholding will go on whenever you need it...

grannyactivist Mon 24-Oct-11 20:09:45

Tingaloo smile