Gransnet forums

Chat

Loo reading matter?

(59 Posts)
Annobel Mon 24-Oct-11 09:56:15

When I was a kid, I was always in trouble for taking my book into the loo (luckily we had two) and staying there for ages. It was the only place I could get peace and quiet. In my sister's house there's a bookcase beside the pedestal. I find newspapers a bit unwieldy, but have been known to finish the crossword 'on the throne'. Nowadays I don't need to look for peace and quiet - have them in abundance. Are you prepared to lay bare your reading habits?
www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/oct/21/reading-on-the-loo-study

susiecb Mon 24-Oct-11 10:13:07

Not sure this one is for the faint hearted but apparently reading something about food or a colourful recipe book is an aid to constipation! The peristaltic action required is boosted by the site and thought of food.hmm

em Mon 24-Oct-11 12:00:22

No reading matter has ever been allowed in the loos in my home. Honestly can't imagine why anyone would choose to read there!

dorsetpennt Mon 24-Oct-11 12:10:26

When I was a child we used to live with my grandparents inbetween postings abroad. My Grandfather used to take part of the Sunday Express into the loo with him. My Grandmother used to give me the part of the newspaper she had read and I had to go to the bathroom and yell through the door, this was to say that could my GF pass the part he had under the door and I would pass the other part back. Needless to say I hated this and would carry the part he had read gingerly with two fingers to give to my GM. I don't get reading matter in the loo - once done why would you want to stay in and read. If it takes that long - you need to see a doctor smile

goldengirl Mon 24-Oct-11 14:10:25

I read my book, do crosswords, sudoku, flick through magazines......There has to be some advantages of having a medical condition grin

numberplease Mon 24-Oct-11 15:26:18

In the loo is the only time my hubby ever reads. Must admit, it`s the last place I`d want to sit for a read!

raggygranny Mon 24-Oct-11 15:57:53

I have always kept reading matter in the loo. Used to be books of funnies (exam howlers, graffiti, that sort of thing). These days it is Saga magazine or the free mags given away at supermarkets.

shysal Mon 24-Oct-11 17:04:07

I have a small shelf beside the loo , which houses my current library book and one of kids' howlers for visitors ! Most of my reading is done in the bath or on the throne. Each morning I have a long soak in the bath, where I eat my breakfast and read ! Having left the house by 6 am all my working life , it is wonderful to be retired and able to enjoy a leisurely start to the day.

dorsetpennt Mon 24-Oct-11 17:28:17

I understand but isn't there somewhere else a bit more comfortable to read. I read in bed both first thing in the morning and last thingat night. Lying in a mucky bath or with a bare bum on the loo just doesn't seem very comfy or hygenic!!!

em Mon 24-Oct-11 18:07:08

Neatly put dorset! Anywhere in the house has to be more comfortable. I always thought this was a 'bloke' thing!

olliesgran Mon 24-Oct-11 18:54:20

I can think of better places to read! This is why I am always on the lookout for cheap books, but stay clear of second hand books, and not keen on library books either, as this habit seems so widespread!smile

absentgrana Mon 24-Oct-11 19:39:18

Did you know that the expression bumf comes from bumfodder? I have now forgotten who it was but clearly he was some sort of intellectual – some chap kept a cheap copy of the works of Horace in his lavatory and would tear out a page that he had already read and use it as required. I thought you'd like to know that. grin

Annobel Mon 24-Oct-11 20:05:07

Oh, absent shock

raggygranny Mon 24-Oct-11 22:31:56

I don't think it's so much that the loo is a pleasant or comfortable place to read, as that reading takes your mind off what is really going on!

em Mon 24-Oct-11 22:43:11

I'm clearly very lucky - don't need any distraction and don't have time to read in there!

harrigran Tue 25-Oct-11 00:16:50

I have never wanted to sit and read in such an uncomfortable place, armchairs were invented for that purpose.

bagitha Tue 25-Oct-11 06:38:55

As a child, I used to climb a tree that my younger siblings couldn't climb and read on my tree settee in peace. My father said I could switch off from a room full of people and read too, but I can't remember that. I can't do it now. Read on the loo? My business doesn't take long enough to settle down and read a book. I always thought it was only constipated people who needed reading matter on the loo wink.

gracesmum Tue 25-Oct-11 15:07:14

Of course loo reading matters!
As to what - I keep all my "funnies" - books of Matt and Alex cartoons, silly dog books, "Far side "books, plus the sort of little short book you so often get as a present. I would hate my guests to be bored. A cousin cuts out the quick crossword every dayfrom I think The Telegraph, (without doing it) punches a hole in one corner and hangs them from a hook in the downstairs loo with a supply of pencils. People disappear in there for HOURS but emerge happy!

lucid Tue 25-Oct-11 16:37:02

No...I definitely wouldn't read in the loo or bath. When I was little I would sit half way up the staircase to read...the only place I could get some peace and quiet. We were quite a houseful!

nanny1 Wed 26-Oct-11 08:57:07

My brother recently had to have some "banding of polyps/haemorrhoids". The doc advised him not to read/text/play with iPad whilst on the loo doing a poo, because it is not healthy and may lead to a recurrence of the above mentioned condition/procedure. as sitting around causes stress and strain on the nether regions. He suggested to simply go and do as quickly as possible and leave the loo!

blush

bikergran Wed 26-Oct-11 20:51:05

not for the faint hearted..........................................................................BUT!!

apparently 1 in 6 mobiles have "feceas" on!!!!!!!!!!!! [confussed]

minniemouse Wed 26-Oct-11 22:03:04

I just can't think of anything more disgusting ! Never allowed in my childhood home or my own home. Think of the germs ! YUK

crimson Wed 26-Oct-11 22:26:54

gracesmum; you've reminded me of The Far Side. Do they still produce them? They're so funny. I'd love to read in the bath [I've never thought of doing so before] but my glasses would steam up. We used to have squares of newspaper in the loo when I was a kid [very Angela's Ashes that, I'm afraid]. Not to read, though.

elizabethjoan Wed 26-Oct-11 22:52:37

I keep a few modern poetry books there. Just thinking about the words and mulling is very relaxing. I even found a poem about lettuce, and if that is not suitable........! Also a few of those "Little Books"

Annobel Wed 26-Oct-11 22:53:05

When my mum couldn't find her glasses, we always knew they'd be on the side of the bath because she always read in the bath. I did too but had a hard time explaining to my Latin teacher why my Virgil had got soaked...