Gransnet forums

Chat

Loo reading matter?

(60 Posts)
Annobel Mon 24-Oct-11 09:56:15

When I was a kid, I was always in trouble for taking my book into the loo (luckily we had two) and staying there for ages. It was the only place I could get peace and quiet. In my sister's house there's a bookcase beside the pedestal. I find newspapers a bit unwieldy, but have been known to finish the crossword 'on the throne'. Nowadays I don't need to look for peace and quiet - have them in abundance. Are you prepared to lay bare your reading habits?
www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/oct/21/reading-on-the-loo-study

olliesgran Sat 29-Oct-11 14:39:54

I remember reading a sticker on a library book years ago asking to notify the librarian if there had been scarlett fever and such in the house while the book was on loan. I always wondered what they did when notified? Burn the books? fumigate them? Or put them straight back on the shelves? Or put them in quarantine? Never knew

Annobel Sat 29-Oct-11 15:13:40

Our mum would never let us borrow library books because 'you never know who's had them'. Her cousin was the librarian and appeared to be quite healthy. I don't think my friends who frequented the library were any less healthy than we were. In fact, I seemed to have flu every winter library or no library. She also wouldn't let us swim in public swimming pools because she thought we'd catch something deadly. So - no chance of being an Olympic swimming champion. hmm

crimson Sat 29-Oct-11 16:17:27

Scary in those days, wasn't it, but I've been pretty scared since swine flu kicked off. What I meant about paper and germs was that some things hold germs for longer than others, and I thought paper held them for 24 hours. However, I don't actually know why I thought that. I know money is pretty disgusting stuff, and cash points are yucky as well. Time to start using hand gel again, I think.

Stansgran Sat 29-Oct-11 19:00:43

Wouldn't dream of reading in the loo or for that matter in the bath-and as Iorder piles of library books I am cringing- I did order a very old book from the county bookstore-the 1920s label requested that if there were any infectious disease in the home to notify the librarian-presumably TB or scarlet fever

Wheniwasyourage Sat 29-Oct-11 19:20:39

Before we moved house we had a big enough bathroom to have a home-made book rest in front of the loo, which was very handy. Now we haven't room but I can prop my book up on the laundry basket or the waste paper basket. As far as germs go, if all you've done is move garments as appropriate before you sit down, and if you don't touch the book between wiping and washing, where do the germs come from? I've never worried about germs on library books - many germs can't survive being dry anyway - but it does annoy me when I get one which smells of cigarette smoke.

greenmossgiel Sat 29-Oct-11 19:36:07

Wheniwasyourage - I do so agree about the smells of cigarette smoke in library books, often accompanied by flecks of ash! Or crumbs....! shock

Wheniwasyourage Sat 29-Oct-11 19:40:08

Oh yes, I'd forgotten the dreaded crumbs!

harrigran Sat 29-Oct-11 23:26:52

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but toilet germs don't always just come from hands, gut bacteria can become airborne especially when flushing.

jinglej Sun 30-Oct-11 13:40:40

That is true harrigran! That's why you should always put the lid down before flushing. Or make sure your bottom covers the space appropriately. (if it is an interim measure)