Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone enjoy going to the hairdressers?

(47 Posts)
glassortwo Wed 26-Oct-11 22:09:04

I have spent a good part of the day in the hairdressers, bored out of my brain. I can not sit still to watch a movie let alone sit while I am pampered. I try to read all the celeb mags but ohh it is just a waste of time.

Am I the only one?

glammanana Wed 26-Oct-11 22:17:31

Well glass if I had decided to go I would have been there for 2/3 days with my mop.hmm

crimson Wed 26-Oct-11 22:20:06

Don't enjoy it in that my hair is awful and no matter what my hairdresser does to it it still looks awful, but have been going to the same hairdresser for years and we talk about life, the universe and everything plus gardening, football etc etc. I can't read magazines because I have one of those plastic bag things over my head [sort of shrink wrapped] so I can't put my glasses on, but I can look at magazines with pictures. Catch up with what's happening to Brangelina, the Beckhams and so on....

Annika Wed 26-Oct-11 22:29:59

Yes I love going as well as getting my "roots" sorted and split ends cut I also get to have a good gossip, magazines to read and as many cups of coffee or tea you can drink brew

grannyactivist Wed 26-Oct-11 22:41:21

glass I sympathise. I only ever go for a wet cut; that way I'm in and out in half an hour or so. I don't have time to read a magazine because I go straight from shampoo to hairdresser's chair, quick trim and then out of the door - still with damp hair.

Granny23 Wed 26-Oct-11 22:43:49

My sister and I have a superb hairdresser who comes to our houses, turn about, and cuts and blowdries both of us. We do our own washing and dyeing beforehand. It is a highlight of my calender every six weeks. We have tea and cakes, set the world to rights and exchange all the news about our families. She only charges £15 each and happily accepts HM Jam or home grown veggies in lieu of a tip. Next visit she is also to give DGD1 her first ever trim, which should be OK as GD already knows her and will be happy to take her turn in the chair in her Granny's kitchen.

shysal Wed 26-Oct-11 22:48:26

I only ever have a wet cut, can't sit there for any longer.
In the past I used to have foil hignlights, but ended up with aching knees because I have short legs and my feet don't reach the floor.
I have never regarded going to the hairdressers as pleasurable. The thought of any so-called pampering makes me cringe.I should hate to be touched or massaged by a stranger.

harrigran Wed 26-Oct-11 22:49:31

Like you crimson I just have to look at blurry pictures in the magazines. I don't mind sitting for the afternoon and having a good gossip with my hairdreser, we bitch about the salon she left. The bit I don't like is the junior pestering me to go and put my feet in the fish tank, not after what I read in a newspaper last week.

dorsetpennt Wed 26-Oct-11 22:51:40

I go every 6 weeks or so for my usual 'pixie' cut - wash and blow dry from my nice hairdresser Gary who is in his 50's. We have a lovely chat while the sweet young hairdressers gossip and flit about. They have one junior, a young man, who is usually in college on the Mondays I go. However, in school holidays he's in the salon. He was instructed to wash my hair which he did without a single word to me - no 'is the water too hot?' 'Do you want any conditioner?' etc. Even taking me to Garys chair was done in silence. I always tip the shampooist as I know their pay is awful - I told Gary about his behaviour and was told that this little so-and-so hates older people. At tip time I approached him and said here is your tip 'be polite and helpful to ALL your clients whatever age, then you can be called a decent hair stylist' It was one of those golden moments to see the expression on his face.brew time for bed

Annobel Wed 26-Oct-11 23:04:45

I love having my hair done - it doesn't take long because I have gone white, it's short and dries very quickly. But I'm between hairdressers at the moment - mine has retired and I haven't found a good enough one to replace her yet. I am going tomorrow to follow up a recommendation from a friend whose hair always looks immaculate. I wish I could find one who can do Indian head massage. Purring!

numberplease Wed 26-Oct-11 23:09:54

I hate going to the hairdresser. One reason is that I suffer from psoriasis, sometimes on my scalp, and I nearly always get a junior who doesn`t know what it is, who says, in a loud, clear voice, "Ooh, what`s this on your scalp, is it catching?",and I sit there, cringing in embarrassment! Instead, wherever possible, I have a regular mobile hairdresser come to the house.

Mishap Wed 26-Oct-11 23:16:52

Never go to haridressers as I hate it - they never do what you ask and I always have to come home and wash and dry it before it looks halfway reasonable.
So....a friend (who is an ex-haridresser) and lives down the lane comes round and chops a bit off for £6.
Never have it coloured - I am very lucky that I have no grey hairs - my Mum was like me a brunette and did not get a single grey hair till well into her 70s.
It would be great though if my hair would hang - whatever I do (long or short) my fringe sticks straight up in the air!

Annobel Wed 26-Oct-11 23:39:00

I always very firmly tell a new hairdresser that I do NOT want to emerge looking (hair-wise at any rate) like Maggie Thatcher or the Queen.

glassortwo Thu 27-Oct-11 00:39:30

I have just passed up the chance to go on my friend hen weekend as it was to a spa hotel, shysal I am like you I gringe at the thought of someone massaging me, even having my nails done is a chore!

I have gone to the same hairdressers for the last 28 years, we are good friends,I look forward to seeing her but not all the fuss.

Faye Thu 27-Oct-11 01:30:24

Going to the hairdresser has never been my favourite thing to do. I have only had three hairdressers where I have walked out the door happy at the way they have cut and dried my hair. Usually I have to go home and wet it and dry it again as they usually do some fancy flicked up type of style. I like my hair to have a good cut and be very simple in a bob but graded at the bottom two or three inches.
I had found a great hairdresser but lately she has started using a straightening to straighten my hair and it appears everyone else's hair before she cuts it. After having a great haircut with a different hairdresser while visiting Queensland last May, I hardly had any broken bits. A few days later I used my DIL's straightening iron and my hair then had lots more bent bits at the end. I finally figured that it's the straightening iron and had since stopped using it for the ends of my hair.
Next haircut with my usual hairdresser, I mentioned that I did not like the straightening iron, she still went right ahead and used it from the roots of my hair to the end. I think she has really wrecked my hair this time and I have just had someone else cut it and its still got lots of broken bits at the end. I think its going to take about three more haircuts before my hair is not a wreck anymore.
All I ask for is a decent haircut without a too fancy or flat ironed style. Is that too hard? confused

kittylester Thu 27-Oct-11 05:52:37

My hairdresser is a friend so I don't mind going for a really good gossip, and a chance to read my book while my highlights are cooking, BUT I hate being messed about with so hate the head massage bit. I also hate having my hair being back washed which confuses the junior no end. I also have a pedicure done at the salon in the village. I don't enjoy it much but I can't do it so well. I really, really hate facials, massages etc - I keep thinking about what else I could be doing which has the opposite effect to making me relax!

Apologies for all the "I"s - my English teacher would be horrified!!

Grossi Thu 27-Oct-11 07:13:06

I hate going to the hairdresser and have only been about three times in my life. I'm not good at small talk and I don't really like having anyone touch my head.

My younger daughter chops most of it off about twice a year.

bikergran Thu 27-Oct-11 08:47:43

I also hate going....as with when I usd to go to the launderette I hated the wasted time.....I have for almost 20 yrs cut my own hair....(just get the scissors and chop chop ha ha ) have had many a nice comment....but last yr I ahve started going to hairdressers and she is a friend so we do have a little chat but otherwise I don't think I could b bothered..but of course when we go to the hairdressers ithe girls are just trying to be polite and make little chit chat..but to be honest If I went to a new one I woud rather them keep quiet and just ask the preverbial question "is that ok" ?? lol....

bagitha Thu 27-Oct-11 09:45:41

Never go to hairdressers. When I wanted short hair I cut it myself. Now I'm letting it grow again and when it's long enough I'll twist it into a chignon as I have since my twenties. Before that I had long plaits, sometimes wrapped around my head. Have never dyed it and never will. Never blow dry it. Don't own a hair-dryer. I guess I just like my hair and have never felt the need to do more than keep it clean and wear it in a style I like and that takes one minute to arrange. smile

susiecb Thu 27-Oct-11 09:48:42

I like my new hairdresser as she chats to me sensibly not about her boyfriend or the X Factor. While my roots were 'taking' I had my eyebrows and beard sorted out by a sweet beautician so the time went very quickly. I also got a nice filter coffee from a small menu offered to me which included wine if I wanted it. Yes it is an expensive salon in Oakham but I only go every six weeks. i remeber my mother and in fact my MIL goes every week - couldnt bear that.

Hunt Thu 27-Oct-11 10:11:20

have a lovely hairdresser who comes to the house. I ask a few friends to join us and we have a hair party. A good time is had by one and all as we sit there exchanging gossip. She does our hair beautifully too!

dorsetpennt Thu 27-Oct-11 10:13:35

Faye you should have complained if your hairdresser did something to your hair when you had specifically asked not to have the straightener applied. To be honest I think I would have stopped her the moment she picked the straighteners up - not let her get on with it. Some of the younger stylists think they know it all and like to use all the latest equipment. However, I hope they are also taught to listen to their clients as well. It's your hair and your money and how you have your hair done is up to you - that's why I love my chap as he is older and he listens!!!

absentgrana Thu 27-Oct-11 10:21:50

My hair is very fine and I have absolutely no clue what to do with it so I really rather enjoy being tidied up by my friendly hairdresser. It doesn't take long and the salon is only 5 minutes walk from home. One of the nice women deals with Mr absent who has very thick hair, but deranged eyebrows, while another deals with me. They remember things about our grandchildren and life in general and chat in a very friendly way. I don't get much pampering in life, so I rather enjoy it – but then I don't do it as often as I should.

By the way, I do remember an occasion when I answered the telephone and while chatting, idly picked up what I thought were scissors and snipped away at my hair which had become, as it so often does, overlong and shapeless. It was only later that I realised that I had picked up pinking shears which created a very interesting effect with my fringe. grin

Joan Thu 27-Oct-11 10:44:19

Does anyone enjoy going to the hairdressers?

No - 'cos I'm from Yorkshire and it costs money!!

To be fair though, since I lost my sense of smell i don't mind it as much as I used to - all those chemical pongs used to drive me insane.

As a young lass I would go to the barbers instead. The hairdresser sent me there (her husband was the barber - the shops were side by side) because I liked the urchin cut and she reckoned it wasn't feminine enough for her salon. Didn't bother me - it was cheaper, fewer pongs, and more interesting magazines, though I had to read them by hiding them inside a newspaper or they would take them off me.

Elegran Thu 27-Oct-11 10:46:59

I have not been to the hairdresser for ten years or more.

I used to DHs and the children's when they were young, but it is not easy to cut your own, particularly the back, even with mirrors.

Then DD2 bought a Philishave hair-clipper set and was cutting SILs and GSs hair. She wears hers long so does not use it on her own. We bought one too and now DS has one as well

It has settings which cut from skinhead up to 41mm length - Setting 14 (41 mm) is long enough for me as I like my hair fairly short. If you want more shaping you can do part of the hair on a shorter setting. It graduates and shapes the hair nicely, and you can't cut too much as the combs regulates the length.

Unless you forget to put the comb on and start with the naked clipper, but you only do that once.

I have looked and they are still selling a similar model - it looks a bit different but sounds as though it does the same job.