Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that make you go Oooh!

(51 Posts)
Notsogrand Thu 17-Nov-11 17:55:32

Wooden chopping boards used for chopping garlic or chilli that infuse your toast and marmalade the next morning.
No need for it. Please don't do it. Oooh!

nanachrissy Sun 20-Nov-11 09:37:33

Greatnan ooooooooohhh!!!!!!!!!

syberia Sun 20-Nov-11 11:06:42

At this moment OH is warming his slippers on the radiator. The aroma of warm slipper does not really work for me!! ooooohhhh!! ( or should that be pppooooohhh! )

Greatnan Sun 20-Nov-11 11:11:44

I should say that my daughter in New Zealand, and her children, are very different and when I am there I have to struggle to be allowed to do anything to help. Her children make me endless cups of tea, and send me chatty Facebook messages. Guess which family I have done the most to help?

glammanana Sun 20-Nov-11 12:09:10

carol when DH used to leave his money on the bedside cabinet he soon learnt not to leave any notes in with the money,Henry the Basset had the idea that burying in the garden was the best thing for money,it took DH a while to realise where the cash had gone.

Greatnan Sun 20-Nov-11 15:33:53

Ah, glammanana - I thought we were going to get a confession! My sister's husband was extremely mean with money but a big gambler. Whenever he came back from the bookies and fell into a drunken stupor, she would go through his pockets and 'tithe' his money.

Carol Sun 20-Nov-11 17:19:19

glammanana my basset eats leaves, green strawberries before they ripen in the strawberry patch, socks, tissues, receipts, a radiator key (managed to get that before she swallowed it) and anything left lying around that takes her fancy. She hasn't taken to burying things, but does hide anything she can steal in her basket. I wanted a challenge when I brought a basset to live with me, not a dog that complies with every instruction, and I certainly got what I asked for. Love her to bits!

em Sun 20-Nov-11 21:50:03

Laura (16months) has worked out how to pull open the velcro type strips on her nappy and started pulling while I organised her clothes, ready to change and dress her. Just as the nappy opened up I realised that it contained a large fresh poo! I dived across the room, catching nappy in one hand and holding back baby with the other hand. Everything was safely contained and Robbie (2 1/2) sat back on his bean bag and commented 'Wow, Gran. That was quick!'. Must admit I did feel quite pleased with myself as we avoided a potentially messy 'Oooooh'.

glammanana Sun 20-Nov-11 23:57:28

greatnan my sisters hubby was very much like your sisters,he was so mean and the only way she got the money for school dinners was to go through his pockets on a Sunday night when he fell in from a session at the local pub,he does not drink now and he has got a very selective memory about those first 10 yrs they where married,but I have never forgotten my sister having to struggle for cash when her children where small, and the best thing is he knows I remember.

Notsogrand Mon 21-Nov-11 14:23:20

em grin grin

Greatnan Mon 21-Nov-11 17:11:04

I think meanness with money betrays a meanness of spirit and I would never stay with a mean man.

GoldenGran Mon 21-Nov-11 17:16:12

em my son when he was crawling, managed to get his filled nappy off and started to eat it, after getting it off him I rang the district nurse, and she said as long as it was fresh it would not do him any harm! oooooh.

Annobel Mon 21-Nov-11 18:14:45

When one of my GDs was in the process of learning to use the potty, she carefully deposited a poo on top of a stereo speaker in her parents' bedroom...ooh!

yogagran Mon 21-Nov-11 18:33:01

Thanks goldengran and annobel - I was just on my way to cook supper....

But let me add - when my DS was little and the potty lived downstairs for speed of use, the dog we had at the time was well know for emptying it. ooooh

em Tue 22-Nov-11 13:42:12

Such fragrant tales! Would make you say P...oooooh! Yogagran - I'd forgotten that our dog did the same 25 years ago.

kittylester Tue 22-Nov-11 15:01:53

Yuck! Our dog empties the "solid" matter from the cat litter tray and eats it. Upside is that there is less for me to do (!!) downside is it makes me go - ooooohhh!!

granto7 Tue 22-Nov-11 15:02:22

I've just read that Greenmoss has been to the dentist today ,as I had to aged 11 ,for dentures for two front teeth oooh the memory isn't pleasant thinking of you Greenmossthanks

supernana Wed 23-Nov-11 14:04:29

A wayward splinter buried near the quick of a finger nail. Biting on a rogue sliver of foil...always finds the filling! Overlooked damp washing in the machine [thanks to spending too much time on GN!] And that reminds me...

jingl Wed 23-Nov-11 17:20:35

Snap Supernana! I've got a machine full of wet tea towels waiting to be hung up somewhere to dry. They've been there since this morning. I felt enthusiastic then! Where did it go?

Justjackie Thu 24-Nov-11 17:55:33

All of the above , or pretty much,Also postman who cut accross my garden to get to the next house , loud t.vs and people who only drink half their water at dinner then later complain that theres a dog hair in it.people always leaving it to me to change the loo roll and putting the tea towel back on the hook even if one corner has dipped in the custard. By the way Carol , such Memories, My Irish Wolf hound used to do that.

Lilygran Thu 24-Nov-11 18:16:38

Agree. And cling film that's stuck to the roll. I once bought a roll of cling film that was perforated, like paper towel. Why can't I find it anywhere?

greenmossgiel Thu 24-Nov-11 18:48:00

Granto7- thank you! Ah, bless you - having a denture at 11! My front tooth was chipped by an incompetent dentist when I was young (if it happened these days, I could sue!) The result of that has been a bridge, now a denture! grin

Anne58 Sat 26-Nov-11 12:03:07

Lilygran, try Lakeland, that haven of all things domestic, may their name be forever praised!

kittylester Sat 26-Nov-11 12:08:06

Well said phoenix smile I use the Lakeland cling film that comes in a dispenser and have never had a problem. I use the foil on a roll too and I absolutely love the pic-a-bag thingy for plastic bags - I just wish they sold individual sizes as I always have lots of big ones left!

Carol Sat 26-Nov-11 12:37:56

We should have a Lakeland thread for the handy things they sell.....think I'll start one now!

yogagran Sat 26-Nov-11 13:05:14

I've just done a Lakeland order, wish I had a shop near me so I didn't have to wait for the order to get above £50 for free delivery