Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that make you go ahhhh

(20 Posts)
kittylester Mon 21-Nov-11 16:35:42

I've just bought an engagement card for our middle daughter which said "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other" - isn't that lovely - aaah! smile

Greatnan Sun 20-Nov-11 19:27:33

Technology has made an enormous difference for long-distance families - my daughter speaks to her two grand-daughters through Skype every week. She and I speak on the phone almost every day (we both have internet packages that give us free phone calls) and she could be in the next room instead of 12,000 miles away.
I said something daft when my other daughter was upset because her sister was emigrating - I said 'Come on, it's not the other side of the world'.

Annika Sun 20-Nov-11 19:05:44

My 7 year old grandaughter has just rang for a little chat , well she did all the chatting I just listened , she told me all about her day and then said love you nanny bye ...and she was gone , that was a ahhh moment smile

Greatnan Sun 20-Nov-11 09:06:31

Thank you, Carol - yes, they will be at the airport to meeet my plane and we will have lots of days out, walks, and bbqs. The separation is probably easier for me than most grandmothers as I have lived in a different country from them for most of their life - albeit a two hour flight rather than 40 hours!
I encouraged them to emigrate because I believe they will have many more opportunities in New Zealand, and after just over a year they have all settled down so well. No Kiwi accents yet, but they didn't pick up any Yorkshire vowels when they moved up from Kent.

Carol Sun 20-Nov-11 08:59:22

My twin grandsons visited for a couple of hours on Friday, while my twin daughters went to the hospital for a couple of hours with our new (premature) twin grandaughters. As the boys came in the house and wrapped themselves around my basset hound for cuddles, one of them said 'I love coming to your house, nana,' Aaaaahh.

PS: funny...I've noticed that I keep referring to twins on here, but within the family, we almost never talk about any of them as twins

Carol Sun 20-Nov-11 08:53:58

Greatnan it's lovely to think that you are able to visit your family in NZ and spend a few weeks with them. Your grandchildren must be beside themselves with excitement about your arrival next month. Such special times for you and them to remember.

Greatnan Sun 20-Nov-11 07:33:14

Putting on my possum socks that one of my grand-daughters gave me as a leaving gift when I made my first visit to them in New Zealand last February
They are so warm and soft, and she gave me such a lovely hug, whenever I put them on I think of her. (I will be spending the whole of December and most of January with them)..

granto7 Sun 20-Nov-11 00:07:29

I have just got home from babysitting for 5 grandchildren.
dgc age 12 asked "are the lines on my hand the same as the lines on your face" ahhh
Nanachrissy can just picture your dad and his great gd ahhhh
Carol Heartwarming to hear your dgds doing so well
Hunt I have alot of ahhhss to look forward to then How great that your grown up gs is sharing special times with you
Aren't we lucky? ahhhh thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Hunt Sat 19-Nov-11 22:57:41

Grandchildren can still make you go aaah even when they are grown up. My dgs has been accepted as a retained fireman and recently brought all his new fireman's gear round to unwrap and examine .He was so excited ,he said it was like the best Christmas ever. Aaah...... p.s He was also Joseph in the school Nativity Play many moons ago.

FlicketyB Sat 19-Nov-11 19:29:54

My 4 year old GD being cast as Mary in the school nativity play. Nobody else in the extended family ever got beyond being sheep, donkeys or part of the crowd scenes. We never realised that 'Marys' were real children with real parents.

Carol Sat 19-Nov-11 18:48:28

Oh yes shysal Christmas productions leave me in bits. I try to hang about with other softies like me, so we can all shed a tear together.

kittylester Sat 19-Nov-11 18:32:52

carol that made me go aaaaahhhh smile

HildaW Sat 19-Nov-11 17:50:49

True shysal, infact just the memory of one such performance makes me go all gooey!

shysal Sat 19-Nov-11 17:44:04

Watching grandchildren in their school Christmas productions. Unfortunately I always shed a few tears, which embarrasses the children. blush

glammanana Sat 19-Nov-11 17:32:57

So pleased to hear the good news Carol make sure your lovely DD has all her rest now she will need it soon ahhh.

HildaW Sat 19-Nov-11 17:23:31

Carol...such good news, must be such a strain on you all. Its going to be a wonderful Christmas for you though!

Butternut Sat 19-Nov-11 17:16:43

I am very pleased to hear your twin grand-daughters are doing so well, Carol.
No wonder you're going ahhh...

Carol Sat 19-Nov-11 17:09:39

My twin grandaughters, who have both put on 1 lb since being born 10 weeks premature, 3 weeks ago. They are in special care, but starting to behave more like new born babies and reduce me to tears when I see them in the arms of their proud mum and dad smile

nanachrissy Sat 19-Nov-11 17:05:25

My ds has just posted a lovely pic on facebook of my 93 yr Dad holding his 6 week old great gd. Dad looks so happy (and sooo old) it made me fill up. smile

granto7 Sat 19-Nov-11 16:55:09

Thought this would run alongside things that make you go ooohhh

My 6 year old grandson rang this morning 7.00 am "I wanted to feel snuggly Grandma so thought I would ring you" ahhhh smile