Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you consider it to be....

(71 Posts)
Butternut Thu 08-Dec-11 09:40:23

.......downright rude to be challenged on whether you could or could not afford to do something? This happened to me last night and I am still seething angry. How much (or how little) we have and how we chose to spend it is no one's business, surely!

Annobel Wed 14-Dec-11 18:40:42

Oh yes, super, you should see my family tree...wink

supernana Wed 14-Dec-11 18:49:17

Annobel Yes please, show me yours...but mine is a bit "colourful" round about the turn of the last century wink

Annobel Wed 14-Dec-11 18:59:50

A few of mine were alcoholics; some were writers, tenant farmers and a large number were Anglican clergy. Any family cash was squandered three generations back, allegedly on the horses.

Greatnan Wed 14-Dec-11 19:49:55

I have never felt the urge to look up my family tree - I am sure I come from a long line of thieves and vagabonds. In fact, after my divorce I decided I did not want to be known by either my father's name or my ex-husband's, so my daughters and I chose one we all liked and I changed it by deed poll.
It has caused some confusion in France as the concept does not exist, all forms asking for 'nom ne jeune fille' et 'nom de marriage'. I have started to leave out my married name and jump straight from single name to chosen name. However, knowing French bureaucracy, I always carry my 'paper trail' of birth and marriage certificates, decree absolute and deed poll. You are often asked for such things if you want to buy a mobile phone!
I feel that my matriarchy began from that name change!

I always regarded my mother as a 'real lady' because she looked up to nobody and looked down on nobody.

fieldwake Wed 14-Dec-11 21:58:18

It seems money is looked up to these days not class, breeding, education. I get fed up with it assumed I am inferior because I can't afford extras. I suppose I mix mostly with well off people. Younger people and children are rated by money too. I say it mostly for them to not keep judging people by their income. I make a point of speaking up when I can't afford to join them in holidays, theatre trips, etc. But I like the phrase mentioned, "don't chose to spend money on..." I must try and get into the habit of wording it that way. I don't skimp on charities, good food, grand children, presents, so we all have our priorities.

supernana Thu 15-Dec-11 10:02:15

Annobel I'm led to believe that one of "our lot" was a man of the cloth ...seems he had a fling with a local parishioner and was given his marching orders. Also informed that a female on my Pop's side, smoked a pipe and liked a bit of a knees-up fracas on a Saturday night! As for the rest...well, they were as good as sin-free and apparently really rather boring...hmm
Greatnan...love your definition of a "real lady" smile
fieldwake I may be pound-poor but, like you, I enjoy and appreciate the true riches of life...a loving family, the companionship of true friends, and a scene through the window that is truly breathtaking - pastel blue sea and sky, in which a pearly moon hangs over the snow-capped peaks of Jura.

Annobel Thu 15-Dec-11 10:09:22

It seems likely that some of my ancestors on the Celtic side of the family were an outlaw clan who dispersed to all points of the compass and with many variations on the family name of which mine was one of the most unusual. As some others came from the Borders, perhaps there's the odd cattle thief, but for the last 150 years they have been very upright.

em Thu 15-Dec-11 11:10:48

These recent posts are a far more interesting and entertaining way to discuss 'breeding' than the Hyacinth Bucket version!

Carol Thu 15-Dec-11 11:19:09

My dog is better bred than me, but it doesn't stop her behaving like a guttersnipe, picking up discarded chewing gum and fast food cartons to lick. So much for breeding. I have a lovely mix of ancestors from the 19th century, including an Italian street musician, an umbrella maker, farrier and head gardener, and a wealthy mill-owner who showed my great, great grandmother the door and cut her off without a penny.

Annobel Thu 15-Dec-11 12:01:50

Oh, Carol, you mongrel, you!

Carol Thu 15-Dec-11 12:21:37

I resemble that remark!

supernana Thu 15-Dec-11 13:32:27

lots of [fgrins] [fthanks] for some brilliant recent posts.

grannyactivist Thu 15-Dec-11 13:41:10

I have a very unusual maiden name, stemming from my immigrant great-great grandfather, so I know that anyone in this country with the same surname is a relative of some sort. One of the things I found very surprising when researching my family tree was the discovery that people moved around geographically much more than I had imagined. On my father's side I have ancestors from Belgium, Scotland, Kent, Sussex, Lancashire and Yorkshire.

supernana Thu 15-Dec-11 13:49:43

grannyactivist - much like a rare and exotic cocktail!

grannyactivist Thu 15-Dec-11 13:52:36

super; not often shaken, but frequently stirred!! grin

supernana Thu 15-Dec-11 13:54:30

You are a true star grannyactivist...

nette Thu 15-Dec-11 15:35:59

Forgive me, but isn't this just what has landed the world in a financial crisis and massive increases in personal debt. We should hold our heads high and be proud of saying 'we cannot afford it' before anyone can say it for us! By pretending to 'afford it' we are on the brink of disaster both on a personal level and a political level. There is no shame in living within our means.

nanachrissy Thu 15-Dec-11 15:43:43

It really doesn't bother me to say I can't afford something. I have been dirt poor and also married to (and left) a millionaire. I'm still the same person and still have all the same friends from 30 odd years ago.

Greatnan Thu 15-Dec-11 17:15:36

We all know what intensive breeding has done to dogs - and the Royal Family!

Chris1943 Thu 15-Dec-11 17:41:53

I have for over forty years encouraged the belief that I am loaded but tight - its common knowledge in our village and among my aquaintances.,