Gransnet forums

Chat

I want to....

(69 Posts)
susiecb Tue 27-Dec-11 07:46:58

take all the decorations down and clean the house but have daughter and family and other visiotrs coming - hopefully all gone by Friday when its all coming down!!!!

bagitha Tue 27-Dec-11 07:50:05

Heh, heh! Some of my decorations never made it down from the loft this year. i was too busy with pre-xmas visits and feeling ill. So I've less to clear up. Mind you, there's one decoration — a metal 'string' of reindeer and xmas trees — that stayed above a door frame all year! What am I like?

Ganja Tue 27-Dec-11 09:07:48

Made resolution to order bumper pack of last year's cards as soon as the first Museum Selection or National Trust catalogue lands on the doormat. Then NEXT Christmas I will be ahead of the game, always assuming I can remember where I put them!

Gally Tue 27-Dec-11 10:17:51

.......SCREAM. No - don't ask - well yet anyway wink

JessM Tue 27-Dec-11 10:53:01

Keep breathing Gally. Deep slow breaths....

granto7 Tue 27-Dec-11 11:06:32

thanksbrewsmile Gally

goldengirl Tue 27-Dec-11 14:27:28

The good thing about keeping the deckies up is that it's virtually impossible to clean up around them - well, that's my excuse grin

gracesmum Tue 27-Dec-11 15:01:18

I'm with you there ggsmile

grannyactivist Tue 27-Dec-11 15:08:37

Gally (((hug)))
When you're ready we'll have brew and sympathy waiting. smile

numberplease Tue 27-Dec-11 15:57:33

Ours are always up until January 6th, it`s the only time the room looks bright and cheerful, and the cards on their strings cover up the hole that I have been waiting for ages for hubby to fill!

crimson Tue 27-Dec-11 16:18:47

I love the run up to Christmas, but once it's over I want everything gone, and any Christmas music has to be put away. However, I mustn't take the decorations down till twelth night [whenever that is] as I'm too superstitious, even though a couple of jolly santas sit on a cupboard in my living room all year, along with my bah humbug sign. I, too lost a few decorations this year; I'm sure I'll find them when I pack this year's stuff away. It's like the story [fable?] about the man whose house isn't big enough, so he's advised to buy a pig, and then a cow etc etc..and then take them away again. Even my 'Miss Havisham' abode looks neat and tidy for a short time when the decorations have been removed... I can't buy cards for next year, as it's tempting fate. Which reminds me..is Great Expectations on tonight?

greenmossgiel Tue 27-Dec-11 16:21:49

Is it on tonight? Just checked Radio Times - it's on BBC1 at 9pm. Looks as if it'll be a good one. smile

crimson Tue 27-Dec-11 16:26:22

Gillian Anderson is one of my favourite actresses; she was awesome in Bleak House. Getting ready to curl up on the sofa at 9....

greenmossgiel Tue 27-Dec-11 16:28:38

I think I'll curl up with a Baileys....wink

bagitha Tue 27-Dec-11 16:40:30

An eight year old once told me that my kitchen always looks "decorated all over" – kids' and hub's art work on the walls, large coloured 'code' dots on the cupboards, what my mother called "an impressive array of ironmongery" (actually stainless steel for the most part but her eyesight isn't good), manic noticeboard, and so on – I don't think xmas decs make much difference to the overall effect, which is probably why I don't bother with them much wink. Not sure I'm brave enough to put some pics up. Fashionable my kitchen is not! Lived in it is.

bagitha Tue 27-Dec-11 16:41:42

PS green, curling up, tick, Bailey's, tick! Just what GNers ordered! smile

Libradi Tue 27-Dec-11 17:29:25

You sound just like my DH susiecb he was back at work today so as far as he's concerned that's it, Christmas is over and he would love to put the decs away but I'm holding out at least until New Years Day. I'm never quite sure if it's unlucky to take them down before 6th January or unlucky to leave them up after that?

Seventimesfive Wed 28-Dec-11 14:29:59

Libradi It's unlucky to leave them up after 6th Jan.

Gagagran Wed 28-Dec-11 14:34:10

The Queen leaves her decs at Sandringham up until she returns to London in February!! Read that last week somewhere so if you like them up you have a right royal excuse!!

ninathenana Wed 28-Dec-11 14:48:41

numberplease

Your letting the side down girl...............

get and fill that hole yourself now !! grin grin

numberplease Wed 28-Dec-11 15:11:08

Why should I? He does nowt else!!

Learnergrandma Wed 28-Dec-11 15:38:32

I've always thought that it was unlucky to leave any up after twelfth night, but that it was OK to take them down any time before then. Left to myself I'd have them down on Boxing Day but usually have to wait until after New Year's Eve - which means that I have to start the new year the way I have no intention of going on!

Ariadne Wed 28-Dec-11 15:43:32

After New Year's Eve I can stand them no more!

Libradi Wed 28-Dec-11 16:08:23

Ah thanks for that Seventimesfive and Learnergrandma thanks.

greenmossgiel Wed 28-Dec-11 16:14:25

I always thought they HAD to come down on 6th January - neither before nor after....I'd love to take them down now! I don't want to tempt fate....grin