Gransnet forums

Chat

Following *Butternut*

(47 Posts)
kittylester Sat 21-Jan-12 08:22:55

Following on from Butternut's thread about feeling down -

What do you do when you are stressed? I have been a bit stressed lately and, so far, I have:

Cleaned the kitchen windows (why, I have a cleaner and a window cleaner?),

Ciffed the inside of the big pan drawers, the cutlery drawer, the utensil drawer, the knife drawer and the foil drawer,

Cleaned the silver (well that took all of 20 minutes - we don't have a lot!),

Taken all my 'Motto Ware' out of it's glass fronted cupboard, washed it, polished inside the cupboard and cleaned the glass doors and shelf,

I'm now eyeing up glass fronted cupboards in the kitchen!!

And, I'm still stressed!

glassortwo Sat 21-Jan-12 08:43:08

My stress buster is pulling a room apart and giving it a good scrub out, and if that has not worked I move on to the next room, and by then I might not have dealt with the stressed but I am worn out. smile

JessM Sat 21-Jan-12 09:03:06

Well I guess i can relate to that (she says doubtfully, being not really into housework) but when my son was on high dose chemo and therefore vulnerable to infection, i cleaned like a demon (relatively) . And cooked.
But when it comes to trying to calm myself down I draw on the things I have learned from antenatal teaching and yoga. Deep relaxation. A range of breathing techniques. And also, getting outdoors and exercising.
Talking to someone on the phone. Talking to a professional counsellor.
When i am really fed up I do forget to use these resources.
Playing solitaire is one I would like to give up.

shysal Sat 21-Jan-12 09:06:22

kitty and glass - would you like to come and de-stress in my house? I am a very reluctant cleaner so you would get satisfaction from seeing a huge difference when finished.blush
My stress-busters would be gardening or brisk walking, I hate being indoors.

Jacey Sat 21-Jan-12 11:35:32

ooooh ...what a wonderful idea shysal!

Please come to my home too ...kitty and glass ...you'd be sooooo relaxed by the time you'd got my home sorted! smile

I find knitting very relaxing ...or doing some internet research on something I'm curious about.

kittylester Sat 21-Jan-12 11:41:44

I don't get stressed often enough (or my house is so grubby!!) to offer my services around. I also garden shysal but it's too miserable out there for that at the moment!

absentgrana Sat 21-Jan-12 11:46:02

I have found that hurling buttered cream crackers at a mirror disperses all feelings of stress.

supernana Sat 21-Jan-12 12:33:14

absent grin what a fab way to stress-bust!

Butternut Sat 21-Jan-12 12:47:53

Yes, absent - but who cleans up? grin

absentgrana Sat 21-Jan-12 13:10:30

I always find that I am so relaxed by that time that it is no problem to clear up – once I've stopped laughing. smile

jeni Sat 21-Jan-12 14:04:45

I was stressed this morning, but then I looked out the window and saw the full arc of a rainbow above the Bristol channel with a lovely blue sky! sunshine
See we needed that emoticon!

Greatnan Sat 21-Jan-12 14:10:09

I walk in the mountains or if it is night and I cannot sleep, I picture that first glimpse of the coral reef as I swim out over the sea grass.

supernana Sat 21-Jan-12 16:52:17

Greatnan thanks for sharing a beautiful experience with us sunshine

bagitha Sat 21-Jan-12 18:13:27

absent, I LOVE your stress buster! I laughed out loud. grin What a good way to make one clean a mirror too! I suppose it would work with windows as well.

What I do is go and chop some wood or wander round my garden looking for the tiniest plants, like Bog Pimpernel, or cudweed, to see if they are still where I saw them last. Weird really, but they are so tiny and so "hangin' on in there" that I find them encouraging.

granto7 Sat 21-Jan-12 19:12:56

I am buttering cream crackers now
I too laughed out loud and I haven't done that for a couple of weeks[Thanks]

granto7 Sat 21-Jan-12 19:14:05

thanks

Anne58 Sat 21-Jan-12 19:20:26

On a serious note, there is quite a difference between feeling down and feeling stressed.

glassortwo Sat 21-Jan-12 19:51:18

I once threw a plate of spag bol at my OG. My DS was only a few weeks old and I was at the end of my tether and he in my eyes was being very unreasonable to be going out again so I just lost it and threw the plate at hi. He moved and the spag bol slid down the door, he then went out and I had to clean it up, but I was laughing at myself as I was cleaning it up, never did it again.

gracesmum Sat 21-Jan-12 19:51:36

My MIL used to polish silver (she had a lot) when she was stressed. When DH had his transplant she came to stay after he came home as I had to go to work and, not knowing about the silver fetish habit, I felt quite aggrieved at all this (apparently useless) effort (we also have a bit) - I would much rather she had done the ironing or hoovered!!
I can understand it now - a mindless repetitive task, preferably to a background of Womans' Hour is very soothing.

susiecb Sun 22-Jan-12 10:19:15

I'm a big cleaner in times of stress and worry - the activity gets rid of some of the negative worry behaviour like endlessly drinking tea and going to the loo and then I feel so good that the fears I have are allayed by being clean and organised. Don't know how or why but it seems to work. before i was trying to lose weight I would bake enormous batches of cakes and scones which rose even better if I was angry!

Elegran Sun 22-Jan-12 10:34:20

When I had two under-twos I used to make a big pan of porridge for DH and me for an early breakfast while they were still asleep, then add some water and reheat it for the children a couple of hours later. One morning I inadvertently left the heat on under the pan between breakfasts, and by the time I had one child in a highchair and the other sat up at the table, all of us hungry, there was nothing but a dried-up gluey lump. I swore and hurled the pan into the sink.Then I saw that an arc of sticky porridge had decorated the still-closed venetian blinds. It was less dried-up than it looked.

I agree - it is easier to clean up while you are laughing (and feeding toast to the children)

kittylester Sun 22-Jan-12 13:35:29

phoenix I agree, which is why I started a different thread. To me, feeling "down" or "blue", so long as it is a passing feeling and not true depression, means a bit of self-indulgence is ok but, when I am stressed, it feels like an explosion is on the way and needs to be diverted hence the cleaning I suppose. Best not to waste a good burst of energy! grin

biggran Sun 22-Jan-12 13:36:44

JessM - I'm addicted to Solitaire too and wish I could stop. Hours seem to pass in the blink of an eye and my mind is totally switched off.
I also use Rescue Remedy when things get too much.

glammanana Sun 22-Jan-12 14:33:23

If I am feeling stressed I clean all the paintwork,door frames skirting boards and window frames,DHs always remarks to Barney our JR "look out mate you could be next if you stand still for more than 5 mins" thankfully it does not happen too often grin

Oxon70 Fri 27-Jan-12 13:52:53

Sorry haven't been around for a bit. I've been away. (In my head.)
Lots of stressful things happening - a grandson in trouble, a daughter depressed because she didn't find a house (she's being pushed out of her temporary council one because two of her sons have now left home) then very tense because the next house she found - to be seen on Monday - they want her, if she accepts, to move into by Feb 7th....yes, true!
Then she got bad toothache. When she is stressed, so am I.
Last week I painted the outside loo, nearly finished, which helped...then hurt my back.....

...but I read the Newsletter and had a good laugh, now feeling better.
I threw a frying pan at my H once.
I too am hypnotised by solitaire, and try not to play it, but it keeps happening...
My daughter does cleaning, but I hate cleaning, what ever I feel like.
Perhaps I should dig out my Rescue Remedy.