Gransnet forums

Chat

Following *Butternut*

(48 Posts)
kittylester Sat 21-Jan-12 08:22:55

Following on from Butternut's thread about feeling down -

What do you do when you are stressed? I have been a bit stressed lately and, so far, I have:

Cleaned the kitchen windows (why, I have a cleaner and a window cleaner?),

Ciffed the inside of the big pan drawers, the cutlery drawer, the utensil drawer, the knife drawer and the foil drawer,

Cleaned the silver (well that took all of 20 minutes - we don't have a lot!),

Taken all my 'Motto Ware' out of it's glass fronted cupboard, washed it, polished inside the cupboard and cleaned the glass doors and shelf,

I'm now eyeing up glass fronted cupboards in the kitchen!!

And, I'm still stressed!

newshoes121 Thu 09-Feb-12 20:13:23

Running.If that doesn't work I've earned the chocolate and then all is good!

Greatnan Sun 29-Jan-12 04:54:45

Thank you for the tip, Carol, I will look on French e-bay as I don't think it would be economical to get them posted to France from the UK

Oxon70 Sat 28-Jan-12 20:30:08

I do jigsaws in winter, and when my GS hasn't finished one. Recently we did one of a windmill, a very unfamiliar thing to him - then we went over to Wheatley and managed to get a look at a real one, a complete coincidence but very educational!
I use a piece of cheap hard board cut to about 2' x 1 and a half to do them on, easily moved and light.

annobel, re Minecraft, you don't have to do it fighting monsters, my GS does, but I think the monsters are pants. (to use the young expression.)
I like the creative anad peaceful modes.

Carol Sat 28-Jan-12 18:53:25

Greatnan you can get some bargains on Ebay - I just had a look for thatched cottage jigsaws and here's one that no-one has bid on yet - it finishes tomorrow, so you could probably get it for very little:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chad-Valley-1000-Pc-Jigsaw-Puzzle-THATCHED-COTTAGE-MIDDLESEX-/110813657411?pt=UK_Toys_Jigsaws_RL&hash=item19cd023943

goldengirl Sat 28-Jan-12 18:51:51

I like jigsaws too and have just finished one of a 1950s shopping spree - all the old names and some that are still going.

I certainly don't feel like cleaning when I'm stressed - it's bad enough doing it when I'm not. Depending on the reason for the stress I either (a) make a list of things I need to do especially if I've got deadlines - and do something on it because the pleasure of actually crossing something off helps enormously (b) disappear into the loo with a book (c) have a good cry - and then do something on the list

Greatnan Sat 28-Jan-12 13:38:09

I have always loved jigsaws but they are very expensive in France. I like landscapes, harbours or country cottages - I can picture myself in them.
I think I will order some on line from England. I must buy another of those roll up mats that you can do them on. I have only a little folding table in my flat but I have kept a large piece of cardboard that was part of the packaging of my new suitcase. I always start by finding all the outside edges and building inwards from the frame. My sister just chooses a colour she likes and works outwards from that. I am a very organised person and she is a bit scatty!

Carol Sat 28-Jan-12 11:04:33

I am passionate about jigsaws, too - always take one on holiday with me if we are self-catering - the table is never available for meals (means we eat out more, so that's a bonus!)

When I had a new kitchen, the size of my farmhouse table was dictated by being able to have a jigsaw on the go at one end, while I could bake with the grandchildren at the other. I do have a roll up mat, too, having tried a big plastic jigsaw holdall that was neither use nor ornament.

Jigsaws are very relaxing, too!

Annobel Sat 28-Jan-12 10:21:44

Jigsaws are a good diversion, Maniac. Someone referred me to a website - www.jigidi.com/ - with loads of free on-line puzzles of varying degrees of difficulty which provides me with a displacement activity and the house is like a tip!
My GCs are into Minecraft, perhaps I should have a look at it so that I know what they're talking about.

Charlotta Sat 28-Jan-12 10:21:06

Is stres just a fashionable word for feeling fed up? Stress means palpitations and breathlessness, lack of sleep and a mind going round like rat in a trap.

Since the media got hold of the word 'stress' and made it something for busy active people to be, then suddenly everyone was.

I am not stressed but have down days. Due to the fact that every now and again I realise I am no longer young and the years left to me are getting fewer and fewer. There is no cure for this and thankfully this feeling does go away.
I have been to two funerals lately, both younger than me!

Still I am lucky as I don't feel down today quite the reverse. I don't need to clean my house or polish my silver. I'll just sit down with a catalogue from a men's outfitters who has a page of good quality women's clothing and look if there is anything for me.
I have 50 patience games on my iMac and don't fee addicted to them as I play Bridge and Cribbage on my computer as well. I love it.

Oxon70 Sat 28-Jan-12 10:15:34

Nice to hear from you too supernana.

I think I have a pause until Monday when we see this house. Then my sister is coming and (if my daughter likes the place) we will have to ask her to help out - I can help a bit, but my daughter will need to pay removers this time, so I am very much hoping for more help!

I've been making a farm on Minecraft free too. This is a definite addiction....there are not many computer games that I like, but this is one.....

Maniac Sat 28-Jan-12 10:05:03

RoseBlossom. That sounds a good one.Cleaning would be the last thing I'd want to do.
I sometimes buy a v.difficult jigsaw from charity shop and spend an hour or two with it from time to time.Total waste of time but takes my mind from problem in hand .
I remember doing one of American trees in the fall when my son(then aged 8) was in hospital with a broken leg after a traffic accident.

Nonny Fri 27-Jan-12 22:57:40

When I am stressed I like to read - it blocks everything out for a bit. Before I retired I would read for an hour each morning before I got up, to help me through a stressful day!!!

RoseBlossom Fri 27-Jan-12 16:52:30

When I am stressed about things I go have a pampering session hair and nails etc., or if I am stressed/angry with someone alternatively I write everything down I would like to say but never send the email.Alternatively I put music on very loud, and clean the house. Works every time Nevery tried cream cracker throwing, OH might object!!!

supernana Fri 27-Jan-12 16:41:44

WELCOME back Oxon70 we've missed you. smile

Oxon70 Fri 27-Jan-12 15:54:25

thanks Many thanks for the thoughts, folks. It's nice to be missed!

I found my rescue remedy, and will keep it around.
I hurt my back, believe it or not, by turning over in bed....

I think my painting (now I can do it again after my broken wrist, which has taken an age to get to this stage) is the equivalent of cleaning. Cleaning is never finished! Painting, I achieve something, even if it is only a better loo!
Cheers, Alison

syberia Fri 27-Jan-12 14:43:02

jeni grin

jeni Fri 27-Jan-12 14:39:45

I did that with pickled gherkins when pregnant

GoldenGran Fri 27-Jan-12 14:37:55

Notso and Oxon I have a bottle of Rescue Remedy in every room abd every bag.

Ariadne Fri 27-Jan-12 14:34:26

Hi Oxon thought you hadn't been around for a while! You clearly have a lot going on - take a bit of time for yourself too.xxx

glassortwo Fri 27-Jan-12 14:15:46

oxon sounds like you need some light relief, catch up on a few of the threads and you will feel better wink

Notsogrand Fri 27-Jan-12 14:15:10

I am a fan of Rescue Remedy oxon. Always have a little bottle upstairs, downstairs and in the car.

JessM Fri 27-Jan-12 14:09:28

Welcome back oxon , please stick around.

Oxon70 Fri 27-Jan-12 13:52:53

Sorry haven't been around for a bit. I've been away. (In my head.)
Lots of stressful things happening - a grandson in trouble, a daughter depressed because she didn't find a house (she's being pushed out of her temporary council one because two of her sons have now left home) then very tense because the next house she found - to be seen on Monday - they want her, if she accepts, to move into by Feb 7th....yes, true!
Then she got bad toothache. When she is stressed, so am I.
Last week I painted the outside loo, nearly finished, which helped...then hurt my back.....

...but I read the Newsletter and had a good laugh, now feeling better.
I threw a frying pan at my H once.
I too am hypnotised by solitaire, and try not to play it, but it keeps happening...
My daughter does cleaning, but I hate cleaning, what ever I feel like.
Perhaps I should dig out my Rescue Remedy.

glammanana Sun 22-Jan-12 14:33:23

If I am feeling stressed I clean all the paintwork,door frames skirting boards and window frames,DHs always remarks to Barney our JR "look out mate you could be next if you stand still for more than 5 mins" thankfully it does not happen too often grin

biggran Sun 22-Jan-12 13:36:44

JessM - I'm addicted to Solitaire too and wish I could stop. Hours seem to pass in the blink of an eye and my mind is totally switched off.
I also use Rescue Remedy when things get too much.