Gransnet forums

Chat

Today I have been mainly...Volume 3

(1001 Posts)
Ariadne Sat 21-Jan-12 21:08:27

The last "I have been mainly" thread is full, so here's a new one! I have gotlots of fiddly things cleared today, and am pleasantly sleepy....

GoldenGran Thu 26-Jan-12 17:47:41

Wonderful feeling to get a bargain nanapug. Is your birthday soon?

Annobel Thu 26-Jan-12 19:57:00

super, glad you're OK and looking forward to spending time with your lovely grandson. thanks
I finally went back to CAB duties today, having missed a month or so before Christmas with the poor old shoulders and been ill over New Year. After a while I felt I had never been away - people still have problems. One elderly gent gave me a kiss and said he loved me. I say 'elderly', but then I looked at his d.o.b. and found he was two years younger than me shock. Same with another 'old' couple who came in later! After the day's work I felt unexpectedly exhausted, but then reflected on how I felt three weeks ago and realised that I am not as young as I once was wink. Feet up time now!

nanapug Thu 26-Jan-12 20:04:47

On Saturday Golden, but being taken out for an Indian with OH, DDs and GC on Sunday to celebrate. There will be ten of us!!

Butternut Fri 27-Jan-12 07:29:26

Nice to read you're back into the swing of things again, Annobel.

Annobel Fri 27-Jan-12 12:52:28

However, today I have been unable to tear myself away from the Murray v Djokovic match. The weather is not conducive to doing much outdoors. We've just had a long period of sleet and the stones are still melting on the patio. Glad I wasn't caught out in that. Oh, and now it's started again and Murray could be on his way to defeat...

gracesmum Fri 27-Jan-12 13:56:11

Fantastic match though!!

supernana Fri 27-Jan-12 14:46:19

I'm thoroughly exhausted and hoarse. Watching the Djokovic v Murray match was the highlight of my day. Although "our man" didn't win, he was, nevertheless, a true champ. I'm very proud of Andy. May need to down a wee dram in his honour...later...sunshine

GoldenGran Fri 27-Jan-12 14:48:55

It was great tennis, do you think he will ever win a Grand Slam tournament?
I still have faith that he might.

Annobel Fri 27-Jan-12 14:49:56

I'll join you in that, super. I'm feeling a bit weary after all that tennis too. Djokovic is such a pleasant young man, so well brought up, and, of course, so talented, that you can't begrudge him his win.
And it's still sleeting. Brrrr...

supernana Fri 27-Jan-12 15:09:30

Golden I am confident that Andy's day will come smile
Annobel the sunshine has got his hat on...hip, hip, hip, hooray!

Butternut Fri 27-Jan-12 15:29:13

I am an avid Murray fan, too! I am sure, like you super, that his day will come! I really, really hope so. Such a tough opponent in Djokovic.

supernana Fri 27-Jan-12 15:47:00

Butter I've been appalled by the nasty, foul-mouthed comments, posted by Murray haters. Not on this forum, I hasten to add. Why do some people behave in such a disgusting manner? Andy Murray played a superb game. He happens to have lost to the number one tennis player. He should be feeling very proud of his endeavours.

Butternut Fri 27-Jan-12 15:59:55

super -What I particularly like about Andy is that he's passionate about the game and is, of course, highly talented. That doesn't just happen either. Whether he's good on camera for interviews is neither here nor there, but unfortunately there will always be some people who will judge him because of that.

Go, Andy! grin

supernana Fri 27-Jan-12 16:37:24

Butter Yay! grin

JessM Fri 27-Jan-12 17:20:15

Glad to hear you are back at it annobel - not an easy time of year to recuperate. Have you stopped feeling dizzy?

Annobel Fri 27-Jan-12 17:44:10

Thanks, JessM. I haven't had a dizzy spell for over a week so am allowing myself to drive, though not very far. Still quite tired, but I suppose that's natural.

Oldgreymare Fri 27-Jan-12 18:08:04

Annobel pleased you are recovering. I'm reminded of a friend who loved an advert, I believe about learning to drive, where the instructor/husband said:
' One step at a time Mrs Molehusband'.

Ariadne Sat 28-Jan-12 15:21:40

I am playing schools with GDs 2 and 3 (5 and 8) I am the teacher, which involves me setting tasks and the marking them (while sitting down which is rather pleasant). Only one bit of marking at a time - I like it!

GD 3 is the dinner lady (in the conservatory) and my goodness, I wonder what her role model is like. Must be a really stroppy so and so. I am using church bells on I tunes samples as the school bell..

DH is off watching the rugby side coached by DS2; think I'm happy playing. (the washing is on, however, and lunch has been cooked, so I have worked.)

Jacey Sat 28-Jan-12 16:36:06

Should have been driving north ...but didn't like the forecast.

So have been using the bonus time to tidy-up/sort out my e-mails. Those I'm keeping have been copied into a word document ...the trash is over-flowing ...but have hardly scratched the surface. confused

Obviously one of those jobs to do more frequently/regularly!! smile

glammanana Sat 28-Jan-12 16:50:12

Supernana I am so glad to hear all your travelling to and fro has stopped and that you are feeling excited about seeing your little man,as soon as you return back to normal I will get in touch and send you Lukie's thankyou,he has been a bit off colour this last few weeks just generally unwell but he seems to be picking up again,the dreaded bug has gone throughout the family since xmas.thanks

supernana Sat 28-Jan-12 17:02:35

glamma Poor wee Lukie. It's the time of year for strange bugs to do the rounds. I haven't a cold, but my lips are swollen and awfully scabby [herpes virus] attacks me every winter. By the way, we received a very welcome cheque from NHS yesterday. Help towards the 1400 miles we've travelled for hospital appointments over the past four months. smile

glammanana Sat 28-Jan-12 17:37:06

Good for you super it will certainly ease the cost on the old petrol/diesel expenditure won't it ? We are finding that we are using the car less and less I am walking to my DDs every day if it is dry and counting it towards my daily excercise plus it gets rid of the cobwebs in the old brain,my poor little dog will not walk with me he gets tired half way there and needs a carry so I gave up on that idea and just take him locally for a quick stroll.smile

GoldenGran Sat 28-Jan-12 18:32:52

Annobel I have been thinking of you this week, I have had a week of dizzy spells, they are wearing off but it does loeave you exhausted. Glad you are bettersmile

gracesmum Sat 28-Jan-12 20:21:08

Today we have been in Coventry where DD2 has a play opening at the Belgrade Theatre. We met her for lunch then sat in on the dress rehearsal. It's "Nora" an adaptation by Ingmar Bergman of Ibsen's "The Doll's House. " She is the designer and if you live in the area,it is on for 2 weeks I think, it is very good (I would say that wouldn't I?!) Staying for the opening night would have been too much for DH so this was perfect - fun being in the dress rehearsal too!
I am constantly amazed at my children doing "grown up " things like plays in the "real" theatre, or flying to China on buying trips - are they old enough and did they ask their Mum's permission? grin

glassortwo Sat 28-Jan-12 20:28:07

This afternoon since I read gally's sad news I have not been able to get her out of my mind. It has reminded me of Mumsnet and how they make a blanket/quilt which is sent to the poster who has lost a husband or child, and I have been wondering if there is something we could adopt to show our love and support, what do you all think?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion