Gransnet forums

Chat

Today I have been mainly...Volume 3

(1001 Posts)
Ariadne Sat 21-Jan-12 21:08:27

The last "I have been mainly" thread is full, so here's a new one! I have gotlots of fiddly things cleared today, and am pleasantly sleepy....

Notsogrand Sat 28-Jan-12 20:43:59

That's a lovely idea glass, how does it work?
For a blanket, would there be an agreed thickness of yarn/size of knitted square, and all sent to a designated GNetter to sew together?

(I have plenty of spare dk wool, happy to knit squares and send on)

glassortwo Sat 28-Jan-12 21:02:26

notso not really sure, I just have come across threads on MN where they have all got together and made a quilt up each did a square not even sure if it was knitted , then someone would co-ordinate, but it does not need to be a quilt there must be lots of things that we could do as a group. Any suggestions????

glammanana Sat 28-Jan-12 22:05:50

Donation to British Heart Foundation or Cancer Trust just depending on the circumstances. the amount can be decided by the donator.

gracesmum Sat 28-Jan-12 22:15:14

I like the sound of that - there may be a local Cardiac charity , if not then BHF would be an excellent suggestion

glassortwo Sat 28-Jan-12 22:19:07

glamma that is seem seems very appropriate being heart foundation.

Sook Sat 28-Jan-12 22:37:56

I would be happy to knit some squares for a blanket if the idea goes ahead.

em Sat 28-Jan-12 22:55:58

Both suggestions are appropriate and I'd be happy to support either.

harrigran Sat 28-Jan-12 23:06:11

What a lovely thought glass

Ariadne Sun 29-Jan-12 09:28:16

Agreed! Gally has been much on my mind too; I think we can all empathise only too well.

Oldgreymare Sun 29-Jan-12 09:37:45

Glass count me in.... such a sad time for Gally, and haven't they just had a lot of work done on their house? They should have been able to enjoy all the changes together.

greenmossgiel Sun 29-Jan-12 09:49:13

I'd be happy to do anything at all. I can find out if there's a local Cardiac charity if you wish that to go ahead. I live in the same area as Gally - perhaps if you'd agree with this, I could keep an eye on the local paper to see when the funeral's to take place and see if donations may be given to a particular charity?

Carol Sun 29-Jan-12 10:18:14

green I think that is such a thoughtful suggestion, and I would be more than willing to make a donation on behalf of Gally and her lovely family. Thank you x

em Sun 29-Jan-12 10:29:46

Have thought about her a lot and like you, Green decided to check the local paper to see if there was any suggestion of a favourite charity.

Carol Sun 29-Jan-12 10:39:54

I've just read back through the postings, having been away from the site for quite a bit over the last day or so, and also read the other kind and thoughtful suggestions that started generating the ideas about donation, so thanks to everyone else, too, for thinking up those lovely offers of what we Gransnetters can do x

Annobel Sun 29-Jan-12 10:59:12

I'd go along with your suggestion, green.

Maniac Sun 29-Jan-12 11:35:45

happy to support any of the ideas above.
I also have lots of spare wool.
I made a quilted playmat for my only GD .She is now 11 and still treasures and uses it.
Gally has (I think) 6 grandchildren.Maybe something they can connect with would be good.

Ariadne Sun 29-Jan-12 11:40:59

Happy to do anything!

jeni Sun 29-Jan-12 12:26:43

can't knit, but happy to donate.
sitting in my conservatory trying to do birdwatch. quarter of an hour and not a single bird. most unusual!
Have none of you told them I'm trying to count them?
So far, have tried to reassemble bath lift, decided to wait for help!
Emptied dishwasher
Put first load of washing in machine
made a coffee
sat down to count (non-existent) birds

gracesmum Sun 29-Jan-12 12:51:24

Birds are hiding just over the fence jeni watching you I expect, or else they have all gone away for the weekend and will be back late on Mondaygrin

jeni Sun 29-Jan-12 13:22:07

ThanksGM.
1 hour and alli saw were
3 dunnocks
1blackbird
I bluetit
1wren ( nice to know they are still around.
Normally the place is heaving with birds.
I'm going to go and sulk now [ camel]

Jacey Sun 29-Jan-12 15:27:15

Very foggy here ...so no birds at all.

Enjoyed the marathon men's final ...would have been sad whoever lost after that much effort.

Agree with posts re Gally ...happy to knit or donate. Perhaps a new thread could be started when decided ...so none of us miss it? confused

supernana Sun 29-Jan-12 15:39:28

I've been spellbound by the athleticism and staying-power of two world-class tennis players.

greenmossgiel Sun 29-Jan-12 16:03:21

That would be a good idea, Jacey.

grrrranny Sun 29-Jan-12 16:15:31

Really glad to see the ideas about doing something to support Gally as I couldn't work out myself how - if we don't know where someone lives etc - it could be done and my heart went out to her when I read the news. I would be happy to contribute, to any or both suggestions but particularly like the idea of a quilt or similar as it would be tangible and hopefully something to bring comfort in the sad, sad days.

As for birds - lots of little brown jobs, one robin and some big black b.......rs. Always the same when survey time comes - nothing much to report.

greenmossgiel Sun 29-Jan-12 16:18:44

grrrranny, that does sound like a lovely idea, too. Something sent with love. How would we do it, though?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion