Gransnet forums

Chat

Tesco prices

(45 Posts)
Beebee Fri 03-Feb-12 13:53:41

Tesco's value packet of Custard Powder has gone up from 6p to 13p. Over 100% increase. No Price Drop there!!!

Carol Tue 07-Feb-12 21:00:51

Mishap Tesco are perceived as the most aggressive and ruithless of the large supermarkets, hence people's hatred of them Asda and Morrisons are not far behind them, though. It's all about their size and their ability to desecrate villages and their small shopkeepers' livelihoods by buying their way into communities with 'bribes' of funding for small community projects.

Hattie64 Tue 07-Feb-12 20:34:06

I was overjoyed when Tesco had a dreadful Christmas, serve them right. Like you Oldgreymare, my dislike, or rather hatred of Tesco goes right back to the Dame Shirley Porter era. Tesco have stated they are no longer going to build their huge sheds on the outskirts of towns. Shoppers are far more canny these days, looking for all the offers etc. Also home delivery is very popular, and saves people petrol driving to their outlets. As their are only two of us at home now, I shop frequently at Liddl, Aldi, Waitrose and Sainsburys. Frequently buy meat at the local butcher, and veggies at the market.

Oldgreymare Tue 07-Feb-12 10:57:51

I dislike Tesco too, it goes back a long way..... so far I can barely remember, but it has to do with Dame Shirley Porter and 'homes for votes' scandal.
I am returning to a style of shopping followed many years ago, when we were extremely 'hard-up', that is shopping around and 'cherry-picking' special offers. (Excluding Tesco ) I'm lucky to be able to do this!

Mishap Tue 07-Feb-12 09:47:04

I understand all the arguments against supermarkets and their effects on small businesses but why Tescos in particular?

As I mentioned before, some people can't afford to shop in small stores and for them the supermarkets are a godsend.

numberplease Mon 06-Feb-12 23:35:47

Our Tesco is on the outskirts of the town, along with several other shops. Asda is in town, as is Aldi. We don`t actually go to the Tesco store, just do online shopping with them, hubby won`t drive 2 miles further than he has to, so when we do actually GO shopping, it`s always at Asda.

Annobel Mon 06-Feb-12 22:46:57

Our small town came out in opposition to a planning application by Tesco. The proposed position would have created traffic havoc and the application was turned down by the planning committee. When there was an application by Waitrose for a store in the town centre, a huge number of residents packed the civic centre to oppose it on traffic and parking grounds among others. The town council also opposed it, so what did the planning committee do? They passed it. So much for local democracy. Waitrose has been up and running for 18 months and the road 'improvements' partly paid for by them are still ongoing, causing more chaos than the objectors to their application could ever have imagined. There is considerable scepticism about the outcome of this so-called 'shared space' scheme. We await events...and wait...and wait...

Carol Mon 06-Feb-12 22:30:04

Tescos move into communities to build large stores and destroy the village shops who can't compete. For example, they are trying to move into a village near the Peak District where a friend of mine lives - they already have a village Co-op, and a thriving village centre, which has about 40 shops and some restaurants, fabulous butchers, grocers and delis. The high school has been on two sites. The old swimming baths has been falling down for ages and is used by local schools. Tesco wants to use the second high school site, provide a swimming baths in the grounds of the other school so the swimming baths can be knocked down, and then the road can be widened to cope with out of town traffic to the new Tescos, right in the middle of housing. The village shops are 750 yards away - they will turn into pizza parlours, nail bars and taxi companies, like everywhere else where Tesco has predated on a small community.

Mishap Mon 06-Feb-12 22:22:49

I am intrigued as to why Tescos is seen as more of a villain than any other supermarket - is it just because they are so big? All the others would be that size if they could!

There is no local anti-Tescos feeling round here, and this is the first time I have heard such universal condemnation.

I have had lots of contact with my local branch and have once or twice rung their central number. I have met nothing but courtesy and helpfulness. And the delivery drivers are extremely helpful and cheerful. And the goods are just fine - the pickers send fresh stuff with long eat-by dates. I have never had cause to complain. And when we were cut off by the snow last year and the lorry could not get through, they delivered to a local pub and the landlord who has a 4 wheel drive truck brought the goods on from there.

We would all like to support small businesses but it is not always practical or possible and just about everyone uses supermarkets.

Enlighten a poor simple soul - why do you all hate Tescos so much??

numberplease Mon 06-Feb-12 15:45:11

And I`ll be doing another online shop at Tesco`s later, I have a £5 voucher ftom last week to use up, and they`re giving another this week, plus another 10p per litre off petrol.

Carol Mon 06-Feb-12 14:03:34

You don't have to say sorry to anyone yogagran. It's your money and your choice where you get your groceries from. No PC facism round here x

yogagran Mon 06-Feb-12 13:52:17

Oh dear, I've just done an online Tesco shop - sorry everyone!

Zephrine Sun 05-Feb-12 20:46:45

I also hate Tesco's and won't shop there. Their attitude when my elderly mother was taken ill in a store was appalling and when I wrote and complained they couldn't care less.

mrshat Sun 05-Feb-12 19:42:23

Yes, I also hate Tesco with a passion and even tho' it is my nearest supermarket I use Sainsburys or Waitrose, depending on my mood. I get really upset if I need to pop into Tesco for something in a hurry - puts me in bad form for ages.

wisewoman Sun 05-Feb-12 19:20:19

That is why I don't have loyalty cards. I also don't do raffles or competitions which involve giving my name address and phone number. I think I am turning into a grumpy old woman!

Ariadne Sun 05-Feb-12 17:59:45

Think they do!

Jacey Sun 05-Feb-12 17:58:42

But don't all supermarkets/stores do the same with loyalty cards ...sell on information?

wisewoman Sun 05-Feb-12 17:53:29

Have been told by someone who works in marketing that Tesco sell all the information on your buying habits they get from clubcard use to loads of other companies so they can target you. When I heard this I cut up my clubcard and hardly ever go into Tesco. Aldi, Lidl, local farm shops and the wee local co-op usually have everything I need.

susiecb Sun 05-Feb-12 09:49:52

I hate Tesco too- the one in our town is awful, usually dirty, mostly scruffy and in dire need of an update or a bomb! If I do go in as the only other shop Morrisons has a toxic car park the assistants look at me strangely when I say I don have or want a loyalty card. I shop with Ocado but sometimes I forget one or two things. the good news is Sainsburys has got planning permission but not for a petrol stations so we are held to ransome by Tesco petrol pric as they own two of the four petrol stations and they fix the prices. So pleased to see their share price fall - all empires fall eventually.

Carol Sat 04-Feb-12 13:52:07

Well put gracesmum!

gracesmum Sat 04-Feb-12 13:41:29

I don't see what Tesco's rationale is any more - for cheaper you can have Asda, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl etc, for breadth of choice, Sainsbury's and for quality, Waitrose. For the environmentally aware, the Co-op does a great job and for internet shopping Ocado is the most reliable and gives you the narrowest time slot. So all Tesco can offer is size - that alone puts me off.

ninathenana Sat 04-Feb-12 13:34:49

I don't have much choice here. Tesco or nothing sad Have no idea where my nearest Waitrose is, Asda n Sainsburys are both 12+ miles away. So any savings are lost in petrol.

Yes, I have shopped on line, but I'm one of those realy odd people who quiet likes to go food shopping shock

NannaJeannie Sat 04-Feb-12 12:18:53

I hate Tesco too with a passion, we generally supermarket surf inc Lidl Aldi Asda Morrisons Sainsbury's, but they opened a new Waitrose near to us on Thursday, so we are off to see what it's like!

If it was down to us, the big supermarkets would make no money because we now have the time to strategic-buy offers. Mind you we are not as fanatical about it as the woman on the telly before Christmas who seemed to spend 2/11d and get a weeks worth of shopping by being forensic with vouchers and money off bargains. She even complained about some items to the producers and got vouchers for her trouble, when she did not even really dislike the product which was disingenuous somewhat.

Mishap Sat 04-Feb-12 10:44:26

I live in the middle of nowhere, OH is not well, transport is virtually non-existent. We have a car but use it as little as possible as petrol prices crazy.

So....nearly always get my shopping through Tesco online. It is cheaper, the goods are always fresh, the drivers can find our house, I get discounts, the website is user-friendly etc. etc.

I have tried online shopping with Waitrose (much more expensive) and Sainsburys (OK - has a good website, but seems to have trouble finding our house!) ), but I have come down on the side of Tescos in the end as the all-round package is good.

Big supermarkets do have a detrimental effect on town centre traders - there is no doubt about that - but this applies to Morrisons, Asda and the whole lot of them. It is difficult in our circumstances to go down the morally consistent route of boycotting all supermarkets. We do use our local farmers' market (once a month!) and our local garage/shop for some fresh veg - but very limited choice (carrots/potatoes/cabbage - that's your lot!) and very expensive.

The Tescos nearest to us is in the middle of a huge estate where many families on benefit and who do not have cars live - it has been a lifeline for them - quality cheap food within walking distance and no taxi fares to get to town. The moral high ground is out of reach for many - they are just glad to feed their families.

Annika Fri 03-Feb-12 23:25:10

Did some online shopping with Tesco a little while ago and one of the items that was substituted was a bottle of wine ( price about £5) for a bottle of champagne . I don't like champagne but still drank it anyway ! grin

numberplease Fri 03-Feb-12 23:05:41

Yes, I`ll also be online shopping at Tesco again next week, in order to use the £5 off voucher that I`ve earned from this week`s shop, but when all the offers are over, I`ll be back at Asda. I`ve never even seen a Waitrose, we have Asda, Tesco and Aldi here.