Gransnet forums

Chat

Compulsory breathalyzer

(13 Posts)
goldengirl Sat 03-Mar-12 16:19:31

If you use one and you're in the driving seat it means (1) you've been drinking and (2) you're thinking of driving. I'm sorry but if you're in that position you should NOT be drinking. There are no two ways about it. I get very uptight about drink and especially about drinking and driving and think this is just another ploy of parting people from their cash and can give a false sense of security.

Bez Fri 02-Mar-12 15:08:51

Our local pharmacy in France has been selling these for a couple of years now -- the ferries are also likely to stock them I would think.

Mamie Fri 02-Mar-12 15:04:00

Not sure he will still be in charge by the time the law comes in, Greatnan.

Greatnan Fri 02-Mar-12 14:56:18

There are an awful lot of motorists in France- I wonder if Sarkozy has shares in the company that makes them!

Mamie Fri 02-Mar-12 14:42:59

In my view if it stops one person drinking and driving it is worth it. Not sure about "helping the economy" at 1€ a time. People complained about the yellow vests, but nobody even mentions them now.

goldengirl Fri 02-Mar-12 14:36:14

I can't honestly imagine someone not driving just because of one of these tests - especially a young person, because they're invincible aren't they? The answer is simple don't drive if you're going to drink, I'm afraid. It's another means of 'helping' the economy in my view.

Mamie Fri 02-Mar-12 14:02:33

They were in a bin at the entrance to the hypermarket - a lot of people were peering at then suspiciously, but I was the only person buying! I have heard other people say they found them by the wine section. I think they are a good idea, I shall check when I am at home just out of interest how many glasses I can drink, how long it lasts etc. I know the ideal is not to drink at all, but when you live right out in the countryside you always have to drive to dinner with friends or to restaurants and I do enjoy half a glass with a meal, which can last five hours round here....

Annobel Fri 02-Mar-12 13:23:22

You can bet that you'll find one on Amazon and/or Ebay.

Greatnan Fri 02-Mar-12 13:19:11

It is the single use one which I will need for France - I will get one when I am in England in May. We are being given a few months' grace after the law takes effect, when the gendarmes will just give us a warning. We already have to carry high visibility vests which have to be kept in the body fo the car, not the boot , two warning triangles and spare bulbs/fuses (which would be useless anyway, as most headlight bulbs can only be replaced by a garage). I also have to carry chains when there is snow or ice on the road.
I don't like the idea of the breathalyzer- if you have to check your reading you should not be driving. They probably won't stand up in court because they are not regularly calibrated.
Meanwhile, I see drivers with dogs on their laps, and mobile phones glued to their ear, so I expect French drivers will just carry on as they always have.

grannyactivist Fri 02-Mar-12 12:47:51

Halfords do a single-use one for £2, or a selection of others for up to £60.

Greatnan Fri 02-Mar-12 12:37:18

Mamie, can you tell me where you got it - I haven't seen one in any of the shops around here yet.

glammanana Fri 02-Mar-12 12:34:16

Thanks for the information Mamie well worth knowing but you can bet your life they will be more than the equilivent of one euro on this side of the pond.?

Mamie Fri 02-Mar-12 11:50:42

Have just bought our in-car breathalyzer kits which will become compulsory in France from July 1st. They were 1€ each and have the improbable brand name of Turdus. Some people seem to object to the idea, but it seems quite sensible to me. Be aware that you will need one (along with the warning triangle and fluorescent waistcoat) if you are coming to France this summer.