Gransnet forums

Chat

More on the kindness of strangers.

(12 Posts)
Greatnan Tue 06-Mar-12 12:46:24

I was almost moved to tears this morning. A man I had never met, who knows me only as the argumentative old woman on an expat forum, has sent me a dozen beautiful jigsaws. He went to great trouble to make the package secure too. He would only accept the cost of postage.
It gave me a real lift - not just because I will enjoy doing the jigsaws so much, but because somebody had been so thoughtful.

supernana Tue 06-Mar-12 13:26:28

Greatnan A gift from the heart to lift the spirit. smile

nanachrissy Tue 06-Mar-12 14:28:27

How kind of him. You see Greatnan you may be an argumentative old woman, but we like you and so does he!! sunshine

Annobel Tue 06-Mar-12 14:32:58

I'm sure he saw much more in you than just an 'argumentative old woman'. We do! smile

Ariadne Tue 06-Mar-12 18:51:15

Here, here! x

Greatnan Tue 06-Mar-12 20:25:00

You are all very kind and I am very glad I found you.

Anne58 Tue 06-Mar-12 20:32:06

He's probably been listening to the Archers! But what a nice thing to do.

supernana Wed 07-Mar-12 13:31:05

Greatnan Kindness can do wondrous things...especially when not asked for, or expected. We live in a remote part of Scotland. The village people are among the most kind and generous of spirit of any we've encountered during our 70+ years. Whenever we visit cities and see the homeless and people who are having a difficult time, we do whatever we can to pass on a little kindness and good cheer. If I had a fortune, I would enjoy nothing more than sharing it with needy people. As I do not do the lottery, I'm afraid that particular dream won't be realised. sunshine

syberia Wed 07-Mar-12 13:45:57

That is a lovely gesture, Greatnan enjoy the jigsaws. Perhaps you would like to "pay it forward", I think that is the right expression.

Sewsilver Wed 07-Mar-12 14:05:06

Kindness spreads out such big ripples doesn't it? Pleased for you Greatnan, enjoy the jigsaws.

Carol Wed 07-Mar-12 14:16:07

Good suggestion from syberia. Random acts of kindness from strangers are very special, and you can do something for someone else Greatnan. What a lovely thing he has done smile

Greatnan Wed 07-Mar-12 14:49:54

I will take them to my nearest Emmaus - I have never found a charity shop in France and I can't carry them in my luggage as they would take up too much space. I like to share my enjoyment of this area, so I have invited several friends to stay here when I am off on my travels. Two ladies came down last December and I am expecting more in summer when I am in England. My single women friends and my sister will come when I am here to take them out. The man who sent me the jigsaws says he might bring his wife - they live near Cahors so the mountains would be a nice change for them.
I am still waiting for my first guest from Gransnet!