Gransnet forums

Chat

The Saga of the Argos Sofa Bed, chapter 1 (previously posted on another site)

(28 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 06-Mar-12 20:55:47

OK, as some of you may be aware, today was the delivery day for my long awaited sofabed. The chaps phoned at 7.15 am, & duly arrived at approx. 7.40.

They refused to take it upstairs (Elf & Safety) and left it in the hall, so I had to suffer a blocked passage all day until Mr Phoenix came home.

He looked at the item, said "it's big isn't it, we might have a bit of trouble with that on the bend in the stairs"

I poured myself a glass of wine, to dull the throbbing pain from having my lip waxed & agreed with him.

We eventually worked out that actually dismantling parts of it (perfectly dismantlable parts, but not included in the instructions, but Mr Phoenix IS an engineer, & they were only a couple of bolts) would help & between us heaved the beast upstairs, where we proceeded to re-mantle it.(Don't care if there's no such word, there bloody well is now)

At this point, it may be helpful if I gave you the catalogue numer of the product in question, I do apologise, links are beyond me, but if you go to the website, it is 6366432. (I don't want any comments on the item, I too thought it hideous, but it looked as if it might be more comfortable to sleep on than some of the others on offer)

If you look at the item, & click on the "enlarge" box, you will see it in bed mode. NB this is probably no longer on the website, thank goodness, so do not get confused if you lookfor that product number and find instead a thermal toilet seat or somesuch.

Mr Phoenix was of the opinion that it might tip over, as the bed bit seemed to overhang the base section.

I told him not to be silly, that Argos would never sell something that hadn't been tested.

Gentle reader, prepare yourself for a shock.

He, a man, was right, & I was wrong.

We put the thing into bed mode, & lay down upon it, as if we were the guests that we are expecting soon. He then instructed me to get up, as if I were going to get a glass of water (or something). I, being an obedient wife, acquiesced.

Sure enough, it tipped over.

I rang Argos, & explained my concerns, highlighting the fact that my friend is 4ft 10 tall, & weighs about 9 st. Her husband is 6ft & approx. 16st. I said that I was worried about her being catapulted out of the window.

They offered me a replacement.

I asked " Friend, sofabed, or window?"

I think we got cut off.

Jacey Tue 13-Mar-12 21:10:28

keep smileing ...another door will open wine

Anne58 Wed 14-Mar-12 18:44:00

OK, time to see if I can find Chapter 2, is it ladies? (I will have to furtle around in various files)

Please bear in mind my previous comments on sequels, so there may well be no need for bladder emptying pre-reading, as some have mentioned.