Gransnet forums

Chat

Mother's Day

(42 Posts)
thistle Tue 13-Mar-12 14:38:46

My own mum, in her 80s, insists she doesn't want any recognition (too commercial/what, only one day a year?) but I must admit I rather like it.

Do other gransnetters have thoughts about how they like Mother's Day to be marked?

artygran Thu 15-Mar-12 19:03:10

I don't like the kids to fuss on mothers day, but I always get flowers and cards. Today I had a day out with DD - her treat; cinema, lunch and shopping. She is the best present - I'd sit in a muddy ditch with her and count it the best day I could have.

Butternut Thu 15-Mar-12 18:41:58

How true, oxon70. smile

Have a good day! x

Oxon70 Thu 15-Mar-12 18:38:35

I haven't posted any poems - except one ad hoc one about Christmas - because I wasn't sure about the copyright situation.

So now, here's one I wrote 30 years ago when I had teenagers....

Mother’s Day is here again
All over the country
We are acknowledging our guilt
About our mothers
About what they had to be
To be mothers
One day is like the Women’s Page
One page in the whole magazine
Explosive enough
If all those mothers
All of us
Got up and said
NO THANK YOU
Don’t give us things
Give us ourselves.

I'm a little further away from the frustrations of that time now.....at times I felt in pieces, trying to keep things together!

.....Going to my daughter's for roast dinner on Sunday, and getting - some new pillows.

JessM Thu 15-Mar-12 16:05:33

Mm I guess I got used to MD being a non event during teenage years of DS2 - it was usually very close to his birthday, so that took precedence. Memories of hungover youth turning up for a Sunday pizza looking green around gills.
Xmas now I still have to wrestle with.

gracesmum Thu 15-Mar-12 15:19:32

It's all the emotional baggage that comes with Mothers Day, like Christmas that I don't like. As it happens I will be seeing youngest DD| as she is coming to see She Stoops To Conquer with me in place of DH who is still confined to his hospital bed, but it's counter productive to make a big deal of it.

jeni Wed 14-Mar-12 19:52:03

Wellcome maniac

Maniac Wed 14-Mar-12 19:25:44

jeni and Greatnan I also will be on my own so I'll join you in the chat and mischief

dorsetpennt Wed 14-Mar-12 18:51:14

My lovely Daughter is taking me out for afternoon tea - I'm really looking forward to it. Son and wife have company this year - they have taken me and her Mum out for the past 3 years so no need to feel guilty smile

grannymary Wed 14-Mar-12 15:29:43

I'm not that fussed about it either and my DS probably won't bother too much but usually get flowers and a card from my 3 year old GS and help him to get something for his Mummy

like yogagran i feel a little sad and think about how much I miss my own Mum

its also our anniversary on Saturday so will concentrate on celebrating 31 years of being married instead

janthea Wed 14-Mar-12 12:14:57

I'm not fussed about Mothers' Day either. However, my younger daughter has a 2 1/2 year old and a 12 week old baby. So I have suggested that they come to me for lunch. My elder daughter lives in Luxembourg so I won't see her, but she always sends me flowers and a card. grin

goldengirl Wed 14-Mar-12 10:43:32

Not fussed about Mothers Day. Noone's mentioned it and I'm not going to. I'd rather go to a garden centre or antiques centre for a poke around to be honest.

glassortwo Wed 14-Mar-12 07:41:56

Special Mothers Days were when you picked them up from school and let them think you had not seen the item they had made for you, which was quickly hidden once we got home..... makes me smile to remember those perfect days smile

Not really fussed about Mothers Day now feel its is just another excuse for to line manufacturers pockets, but they will still spoil me and I will love it grin

Butternut Wed 14-Mar-12 07:32:20

One son lives in America, where it's a different day, and my other son is in America with work for a while - so I certainly won't be receiving cards nor doing anything special, other than hoping it's a lovely sunny day.
I hope those of you having family get-togethers have a thoroughly enjoyable time.

yogagran Tue 13-Mar-12 21:12:49

Although my own Mum died almost twenty years ago I always feel a bit sad that I no longer have a Mum. My DD will undoubtedly send a card and probably some flowers too, she really shouldn't pay the inflated prices for flowers over the Mothers Day weekend as she's watching the pennies but it's such a lovely gesture. DS is abroad so, as others have pointed out, the day varies from country to country.
It was Mothering Sunday when I was little, a home made card and a bunch of wilted primroses. Back even further, wasn't it the day that domestic staff were allowed a rare day off to visit their mothers?

Annobel Tue 13-Mar-12 17:34:22

Just learned that DS2 and his two rascals are coming over on Sunday to see DS1's new house - so most of the family will be there. Unfortunately DS2's partner has to work on mothers' day - shame!

wotsamashedupjingl Tue 13-Mar-12 17:26:56

That's a nice thought Syberia. smile

kittylester Tue 13-Mar-12 17:20:58

My Mum is going to my brother's this year so I have sent flowers and will go to see her on Friday.

Four of our children have their own families now so I expect I will get presents, cards and phone calls but no visits. I will cook for my husband, son and myself, because I enjoy it, and just have a lazy day. My husband also says I'm not his mother but will, nevertheless, buy me something for being the mother of his children (if he knows what is good for him!) grin

I really feel that Mother's Day is for those with small children and I am happy if they ring to wish me well and enjoying being Mums and Dads on their own.

syberia Tue 13-Mar-12 17:16:30

As you know, my first GD is due in a couple of weeks. I have already told DD not to bother with Mother's Day on my behalf, but I am sending her a card from the bump!!

Carol Tue 13-Mar-12 17:11:09

Greatnan the remarakable bit is that they both had IVF that was successful first time, and both knew they had only one shot at it for different reasons i.e. the local health authority stopping that support, lack of finances to try again at present, and only two eggs harvested each time. But that's all it took and we have these wonderful children now! So lucky x

ninathenana Tue 13-Mar-12 16:52:52

Unfortunately spending Mothers Day with my mum is not the same any more as she was diagnosed with Alzhimers a year ago. Always used to have her to mine for lunch. i shall visit her with a card and flowers. But she won't know what's going on sad

DGS2 is due anytime now and DH and I have DGS1 staying with us for now. So don't expect much from DD smile

Greatnan Tue 13-Mar-12 16:36:39

That is a remarkable story, Carol - how lovely that both of your daughters had babies.

Annobel Tue 13-Mar-12 16:32:58

Mothers' Day is certainly a great day for your family, Carol. sunshine

Carol Tue 13-Mar-12 15:55:22

I'm not really bothered about a big fuss on Mother's Day - I used to like it more when the children were young and they made their own cards and picked flowers from the garden for me. I know I will get cards and some gifts, which will be very much appreciated.

This year, though, is going to be so special, because my twin daughters, who both struggled to conceive, now both have twins. One daughter has 3 year old sons, and the other daughter has 4.1/2 month old daughters who were born very prematurely and are thriving. So much more than any of us could have hoped for. They both cherish being mums, after waiting so long for their babies. Mother's Day is all theirs, as far as I am concerned. I'm so happy for them.

jeni Tue 13-Mar-12 15:53:33

Well I've got some bottles of bubbly stashed away!

Greatnan Tue 13-Mar-12 15:46:28

You can join jeni and me in our great mischief-making efforts, sussiecb!