Gransnet forums

Chat

Interesting Words

(21 Posts)
petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 08:05:03

Just saw this on Facebook:

Sapiosexual - one who is sexually attracted to the intelligence of others

Notsogrand Thu 22-Mar-12 08:11:07

How about Happiosexual - one who is attracted to those who make them laugh?

petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 08:18:12

Yes Notsogrand that's another interesting one.

I noticed that out of all the people who responded to Sapiosexual on Facebook, saying that described them, most of them were women.

I wonder if it's true that women are sexually attracted by things other than physical appearance more than men are.

Annobel Thu 22-Mar-12 08:51:16

So a metrosexual is attracted to....?

Carol Thu 22-Mar-12 08:52:53

Don't know - several men in my family have gravitated to emotionally intelligent, funny women who make the most of their appearance but are not conventionally stunning good lookers, like the ones they first made relationships with, only to find they were selfish and shallow. I'm not saying good-looking women are selfish and shallow - just that physical appearance alone is not enough to keep a partner attracted.

I find physical appearance alone is not sufficient - mind you, he'd have to be superman to attract me nowadays - I'd rather not bother!

Jacey Thu 22-Mar-12 08:55:28

Carol grin

Notsogrand Thu 22-Mar-12 09:00:50

Annobel......the Underground? grin

Greatnan Thu 22-Mar-12 09:30:30

Can we blame evolution - women want a father for their children who will be responsible and a good earner, men want a mother for their children who will be healthy, and good looks are often allied to good health.
I did read some time ago that women choose exciting, irresponsible men for romance, but look for stability (boredom?) in a permanent relationship.

JessM Thu 22-Mar-12 09:49:41

absolutely me. Both Hs have been very bright and dominant men. I had lovers who were sweet and only averagely bright, but they were discarded, weren't they...
Second DH sweet with it and does not try to manage me (often).

Greatnan Thu 22-Mar-12 09:54:44

The reason I have stayed single for 30 years is because I met men that I very much liked, same sense of humour as myself, intelligent, kind, etc., but I didn't feel sexually attracted to them. Then I met a few men with whom I fell in lust but realised I didn't actually like them. Eventually, I gave up!
(My husband of 19 years was terminally boring - I only stayed with him so long because I quite liked him and didn't want to hurt him. I needn't have worried, he was remarried within the year!)

petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 10:08:00

Greatnan that sounds the perfect solution then. Stable but boring for the husband, exciting but unreliable for the boyfriend, having both at the same time. A bit like men do with mistresses.

I once read that Prince Charles, when criticised for having Camilla whilst married to Diana, asked if he was to be the only Prince of Wales ever who didn't have a mistress!

Greatnan Thu 22-Mar-12 10:29:51

Now there was an interesting case - was it Mitterand who said that only an Englishman would prefer Camilla to Diana!

nanachrissy Thu 22-Mar-12 19:55:59

I think it's clear that there's more to Camilla than meets the eye wink and Diana was mainly a clothes horse (and lovely mum).

Anne58 Thu 22-Mar-12 20:23:38

Nidifcation - good to use in wedding speeches
Concupiscience (check spelling) a lovely word, sort of meaning is "desire, of a lustful nature"

Hattie64 Thu 22-Mar-12 20:24:52

I am of the opinion that as men age and become old grumps, they become increasingly boring, really boring, harping on about their youth. This is only based on my own boring old git.

Greatnan Thu 22-Mar-12 20:27:53

Uxorious! I don't like the definition though - how can concern for your wife be 'excessive'

Anne58 Thu 22-Mar-12 20:28:54

Deviation.

johanna Thu 22-Mar-12 20:30:07

notsogrand Happiosexual. I can't stop laughing. That is priceless!!!!!
Could be some truth in it though.
A propos Prince Charles , or any man really, he married the woman who inspires him. Beauty is irrelevant.

petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 20:35:39

Discombobulated
Frottage

johanna Thu 22-Mar-12 20:40:52

Oh, yes Hattie
Boring, boring boring.
That is why they pumped us full of HRT, so we would NOT find them boring!!!!!!!
And kept trotting around like contented cows.........
LOL again, very funny thread, unless it is the Prosecco.

petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 20:54:06

Boring boring BORING!