Gransnet forums

Chat

My favourite perfume, but no longer available.

(74 Posts)
chicken Mon 01-Aug-16 16:51:21

What's your favourite perfume? I don't much like modern perfumes, they all seem to smell much the same and are very musky. My favourite ever perfume, the one I wore on my wedding day, was "In Love" by Norman Hartnell, but it was discontinued years ago and can't even be found on ebay. I have a tiny little phial of it stored away and have a sniff of it now and again--can't use it as it's irreplaceable! I wish it could be reissued. I'd buy it like a shot.

tanith Mon 01-Aug-16 16:56:30

Shalimar by Guerlain has been my favourite for many years although I have lots of others, Flower by Kenzo is another favourite. What a shame you can't source your favourite.

chelseababy Mon 01-Aug-16 17:00:30

Have you tried the Fragrantia website for a "smell alike"?

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 17:01:25

If somebody wanted to give you a very special = expensive present, I believe it is possible to have perfumes custom made. I just hope the contents of your treasured bottle haven't changed with age and time.
Worth a try.

Linsco56 Mon 01-Aug-16 17:03:29

chicken If you liked Hartnell In Love you will also like Calvin Klein Euphoria. It's light and the basenotes are very similar.

TerriBull Mon 01-Aug-16 17:42:07

I have ordered old favourites, no longer available on Amazon, I know hate them too, but it's the only way to obtain perfumes from the past that shops don't stock. Of late I have obtained Femme by Rochas a perfume I wore a lot when I was young, another one I really loved was Jolie Madame by Balmain, but prices quoted for this one are in the £200 region, it was lovely, but not that lovely shock I always get my Channel No 5, from the points redeemed on my Boots card, takes a while I must admit but lovely getting a bottle of their Eau de parfum without paying smile

numberplease Mon 01-Aug-16 17:48:05

I used to love Flambeau, by Faberge, but haven`t been able to buy it since the 1970s.

millymouge Mon 01-Aug-16 17:49:07

The original Fendi, people used to ask me what perfume I was wearing. They have bought out others but they are not the same. At the moment wear Calvin Klein Euphoria, nice, but not as nice as Fendi.

Witzend Mon 01-Aug-16 18:56:59

I used to love Je Reviens - don't know if you can get it any more.

Also Cabotine - very green and light and fresh - I hate the heavy, musky, or over-sweet ones.

NanaandGrampy Mon 01-Aug-16 19:05:38

Oh Shalimar for me too Tanith

gettingonabit Mon 01-Aug-16 19:13:48

You can still get Je Reviens! It was my mother's favourite....sad.

Wasn't Shalimar the first ever commercially-available perfume?

J52 Mon 01-Aug-16 19:19:27

I loved the original Miss Dior. They changed the smell in the 1990s and now they have a light version. Neither is the same.

I have recently taken to Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue, it's quite old so I hope they don't discontinue it.

Katek Mon 01-Aug-16 19:24:55

My mother loved Je Reviens but the one I remember from my childhood was White Fire. Wonder if you can still get it?

Grannyknot Mon 01-Aug-16 22:36:10

I'm very excited to have found Revlon's Moon Drops by looking for it on the Fragrantia website mentioned above. I used to love it and something about it must have been right for me because I always received compliments when wearing it. I haven't seen or smelt it for 20 years+ so I'm interested to see whether husband makes any comment or recognises it in any way smile

MiniMouse Mon 01-Aug-16 23:41:41

Grannyknot Check the delivery charge before you order! I just found and almost ordered from Fragrantia, changed my mind when £12.00 was added for tax and delivery from the US shock

SueDonim Tue 02-Aug-16 00:11:23

I love Ferre by Ferre but it's discontinued. It was so unusual.

grannyqueenie Tue 02-Aug-16 00:32:04

15 years ago friend gave me D&G feminine for my 50th, I loved it and people always complimented me when I wore it. Sadly it vanished a few years ago and I've never found anything similar.

janeainsworth Tue 02-Aug-16 00:50:00

Terribull I loved Jolie Madame too. I had it when DS was born and whenever I had any since, it reminded me of that time. I couldn't believe it when the perfume shop in York where I used to get it told me it wasn't available any more sad

chicken Tue 02-Aug-16 08:42:32

Thanks for the suggestions, they'll be a good excuse for a bit of retail therapy!

TerriBull Tue 02-Aug-16 09:19:21

Yes such a shame it's no longer available JA, I find so many newer perfumes not very memorable, maybe it's nostalgia but Jolie Madame was such a lovely fragrance sad

hulahoop Tue 02-Aug-16 09:23:40

White fire wish I could still get it used to like Aqua manda (orange for daytime)

Grannyknot Tue 02-Aug-16 11:09:44

Eek minim and thanks for the tip! I haven't ordered yet. The perfume itself was 9.99 on that site.

Elrel Tue 02-Aug-16 11:38:30

J52 - I thought it was me, I used Miss Dior in the '70s and occasionally have a spray in stores and am disappointed that it never seems the same! The first perfume I was ever aware of was Woolies' Evening in Paris! First I used was Chanel19 in 1957, present from bf, aah!

MiniMouse Tue 02-Aug-16 11:39:37

Gk I hadn't realised that it was a US site until checkout time! Shame, the perfume was a good price sad Back to trawling eBay! wink

Mumsy Tue 02-Aug-16 12:14:31

Going back to the 60s my mum used blue grass Elizabeth Arden, I also used it and still do and it still smells the same now as it did then.