Gransnet forums

Chat

Is your wreath up yet?

(87 Posts)
minimo Thu 01-Dec-16 10:27:41

I've been coiled like a spring ready to pounce into action for the 1st of the month when I feel we can justifiably start being Christmassy! Have to wait till the weekend to get the tree but the twinkly lights are going up today. The advent calendar is out and the nativity scene is being unpacked to go on the fireplace. Anyone else feeling especially festive today? What do you do in terms of decorating the house?

Thingmajig Thu 01-Dec-16 10:39:10

I break out the Cinnamon candles on the 1st December and the other stuff gradually makes an appearance before the tree which comes nearer Christmas. DGD has her 3rd birthday on the 7th, so we don't really start with anything Christmas till after that ... just my candles.

We have a tree in the living room with loads of Danish-style nisser (Santa with pointy hat) characters sitting in the fire place, and some bunting with twinkly lights in the dining room. Quite festive but not over the top.

I have filled the 1st pocket in her new advent calendar for her to get when she arrives for her sleepover. smile

Maggiemaybe Thu 01-Dec-16 11:11:05

I don't usually start until the middle of December, but my reading group is meeting here next week so I'll be trimming up at the weekend (all that glitter hides a multitude of lazy housekeeping sins!). For today, just the Advent calendars and the Advent candle are out. Plus the red lights over the mantelpiece mirror that have been there all year, since another GNer inspired me by saying last year that she always leaves one Christmas item up.

My Christmas decorating style is very festive and very over the top. I have six big boxes full of decorations waiting on top of the wardrobe, and I can't wait to get into them!

ninathenana Thu 01-Dec-16 11:16:32

I have today chaged the wallpaper on my phone to a Christmas theme grin and put the wooden advent calendar out.
Everything else will wait until around 15th.

NonnaW Thu 01-Dec-16 11:21:04

Sorry, I'm a bit bah humbug. Generally I leave it as long as possible, and keep it all to a minimum. In my defence, we have no children around, else I would make more of an effort.

NanaandGrampy Thu 01-Dec-16 11:37:25

Oooooh I would !! Me ! Me!

I love all things Christmassy and any grinch like comments roll right off ?

We're away or ours would be up today. So by Sunday our decorations ( cut back this year due to redecoration due to wanting to sell) will be up and as tradition in our house dictates we will have our tree decorated by our youngest daughter on Tuesday .

sunseeker Thu 01-Dec-16 11:52:30

I will wait until the weekend before Christmas to put up any decorations. I love Christmas and used to really go over the top decorating the whole of the downstairs and had 2 trees (one in the sitting room and one in the hall!). Now I am on my own I tend to limit decorations to a holly wreath on the front door and then decorating the conservatory and sitting room. My tradition used to be to decorate the tree in the evening whilst having several glasses of wine, usually meant redoing the tree the following morning!!blush

ninathenana Thu 01-Dec-16 15:54:43

wine wine and tree decorating sounds a good combination to me !

tanith Thu 01-Dec-16 15:58:30

Christmas Eve is my time to put up the tree, I don't think anyone is likely to visit this Christmas we'll be visiting them so I'm not that bothered with decs...

Ana Thu 01-Dec-16 16:23:42

Never had a wreath.

Minimal decs will go up as near to Christmas as I can get away with (GDs allowing!).

Maggiemaybe Thu 01-Dec-16 16:28:09

I'd love to put a wreath up outside. But our house is an end terrace facing straight onto the street and I'm sure it would just be swiped by some grinch coming round the corner. I suppose I could boobytrap it - what do you think?

Ana Thu 01-Dec-16 16:28:57

Mousetrap? grin

rosesarered Thu 01-Dec-16 16:35:10

Haha! Painful.grin but not in the spirit of Christmas.
I will start putting bits and bobs out round about the 12th, including a wreath on the front door, Christmas tree in the conservatory, and garlands on the mantelpiece in the lounge.?

Maranta Thu 01-Dec-16 16:35:25

I put a wreath up once......it disappeared after a day.

Oh the Xmas emoji have gone!

Ana Thu 01-Dec-16 16:43:21

They haven't arrived yet.

Just type tch in the square brackets before whatever emoticon you want to post tchsmile

rosesarered Thu 01-Dec-16 16:54:46

tchgrin oh, so it's alright to use Christmas hats NOW is it ANA

Ana Thu 01-Dec-16 17:03:19

I was just helping out a fellow-poster, roses...[haughty sniff emoticon]

Anyway, it's December now, so what's your problem? tchgrin

whitewave Thu 01-Dec-16 18:21:10

Love it all!!

Just decorated the conservatory - ice blue and silver

Living room is the theme of snowy owls and reindeer and that's nearly done.

The dining room is totally traditional with red green and gold. That's where the tree goes.

Porch has a pair of skates hung up on a hook with snowy twigs and lights.

Wreath in front door. Never stolen ---yet!

Happy Christmas everyone!!

Jayh Thu 01-Dec-16 18:34:53

Wreath not up yet but today I did open the first little box from my M&S advent calendar. I bought it as a little treat for myself.

Greyduster Thu 01-Dec-16 18:54:49

We usually leave decorating until around the time the school holidays start - it's a useful way to keep GS occupied while he's over here. Tree in the living room flanked by Santa, a reindeer and assorted Elves looking after the presents, a christingle arch in the window, nativity scene on one corner of the hearth. We decorate the mantelpiece with various candles, including two sculpted candles we bought in Germany thirty seven years ago! They are lovingly trotted out every year and still look good. We used to have a garland that went across the mantelpiece in our last house but it somehow never looked right on this one so we have ditched it. We have a light up Santa's Workshop but that usually lives in GS's room for the duration, along with a small fibre optic tree. We put a wreath on the door. No light fingers so far!

Maggiemaybe Thu 01-Dec-16 19:47:55

Oh, you all sound so organised, and themed! We took DGS2 to one of our favourite eating-places-with-play-area yesterday and they'd just had a designer in to decorate it. It was wonderful, vintage in some areas, modern silver and blue in others, a bus stop with life-size little boy waiting with his suitcases for the last bus home for Christmas... How I wish I could get that designer in here to make sense of my many mis-matched decorations and possibly make DH get rid of that plastic ferris wheel with flashing neon lights that he bought despite my express disapproval tchgrin

cornergran Thu 01-Dec-16 20:04:58

Advent candle burning. The decorations and tree will appear on Saturday. Currently the spare bed is covered by the boxes. There will be a wreath on the front door, little lit trees in the front garden along with a reindeer and sleigh tchblush. All the presents are wrapped, I'm half way through the cards. Now, where did I put the Christmas music? tchgrin.

rosesarered Thu 01-Dec-16 21:46:08

.....and the Christmas Baileys?

Shanma Thu 01-Dec-16 23:51:53

No wreath, decorations or tree here. I will put up any cards we are given as people have taken the trouble to buy and send them. When I used to put a tree up it went up on 23rd December and down 1st january.

Nelliemoser Fri 02-Dec-16 00:06:31

DD made this.
After ringing me up for a long discussion about how she could make a circular shape out of wire to make a wreath I suggested she used one of the DGSs frisbees. It worked a treat all the rest of the effort was hers.