Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do men...?

(77 Posts)
Teetime Tue 10-Jan-17 14:28:08

Cough so loudly. I am surrounded by men with mega decibel coughs can't they reign it in a bit?

aggie Tue 10-Jan-17 14:33:36

And at least cover their mouths !

Katek Tue 10-Jan-17 15:00:13

Mine talks very loudly and deeply. People who have only spoken to him on the phone expect a great big bloke when they finally meet. He's only about 5'7!! I downloaded a decimeter app to my phone and he reaches 80db when speaking to his hard of hearing father on the phone. That's the same as a vacuum cleaner in the same room as you. I'm forever saying 'stop shouting' but he's no idea he's as loud as he is!

Greyduster Tue 10-Jan-17 15:01:40

The surest way to stop them coughing, Teetime, is to hit them with a golf club. ? A three wood should do it!

nanaK54 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:04:22

Could it be because they need to make absolute certain sure that everyone knows they have a really 'bad' cough?

Like they advice from Greyduster

nanaK54 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:04:48

oops the advice.....

Teetime Tue 10-Jan-17 15:14:50

I haven't got a three - would a five or a sand wedge do it?

Greyduster Tue 10-Jan-17 15:16:16

Absolutely!

rosesarered Tue 10-Jan-17 15:18:30

Poor old guys! grin

Teetime Tue 10-Jan-17 15:21:54

I know I'm sorry if someone is ill but the lovely fellas I am meaning aren't really but they have a dry cough which I know is irritating but its the force which they 'enjoy' coughing- deafening!! and as for sneezing!!!!

Sorry I obviously haven't got enough to do today grin

ninathenana Tue 10-Jan-17 16:03:24

It's not H's cough, it's his sneezing. It can be heard all over the house !
Katek H also talks loudly, he blames working with machinery all his life smile

Luckygirl Tue 10-Jan-17 16:07:35

I think I am giving them a run for their money at the moment!

KatyK Tue 10-Jan-17 16:42:49

When my DH blows his nose (which he does at least 50 times a day) it sounds like elephant trumpeting. He hasn't got a cold, it's just something he does. It's really annoying, what with me being perfect an' all.

Marmark1 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:54:51

With mine it's the sneezing,I refuse to believe he has to sneeze that bleddy loud,even Reuben looks at him in disgust.

Teetime Wed 11-Jan-17 09:02:34

I'm glad its not juts me Dh thinks I'm intolerant and oversensitive to noise. I really must try to measure the decibels some time and he does this coughing thing when he hasn't got a cough if you know what I mean.

Auntieflo Wed 11-Jan-17 10:06:25

Bit of a sore point in this house at the moment. OH often gets a cough, but has had this viral thing since Sept? I have now got it, but it seems to be on the mend. The thing is, he coughs and coughs and.... then finishes up with the most enormous sneeze. Always does, always has.

franjess2000 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:10:36

I would suggest loudly and slowly, that perhaps he is so loud because he's going deaf...

moobox Wed 11-Jan-17 10:13:02

Maybe manful
www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AL7xIHoGY

moonlight Wed 11-Jan-17 10:18:16

Katek has he had his hearing tested, does he have the tv turned up, he could have some hearing loss, i was forever getting told off at work for being loud on the phone had my hearing tested at bosses sugestion result hearing loss i now have been wearing two hearing aids for six years and the difference is amazing they cant be seen and comfortable to wear so encourage him to get a test

radicalnan Wed 11-Jan-17 10:20:10

AND, mine used to answer the phone and then pat his willy for reassurance, in case lifting the weight of the receiver had caused it to drop off. My kids when smallish used to bring their mates round to witness this phenomena..............

Don't get me started on getting everyone in the car before nipping in to use the toilet grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

NannyMargaret48 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:51:43

DH was sitting in the long queue in the X-Ray Department at local hospital yesterday. He said that, understandably, there were lots of coughing people there, but he couldn't believe how loud the men were coughing. Perhaps they were trying to get over the point that their coughs were much worse than the others and move up the queue.

grandmaz Wed 11-Jan-17 10:54:33

Oh radicalnan, you've made my morning grin..."pat his willy for reassurance..." I'm in bits here and as I'm also full of a stinky cold, it's not a pretty sight!! Just as well I live alone!

You have made me giggle, thank you smile

paun Wed 11-Jan-17 10:56:28

radicalnan, that made me cry with laughter!!
Thank you ??

annifrance Wed 11-Jan-17 11:12:18

Made me lol radicalnan. Off thread but want a laugh, try on YouTube Derek and Clive Live, The Durex Derby. It's Pete and Did, tanked up after the pub, very, very rude but absolutely hilarious. Had my DSiL and I weeping with laughter over Christmas.

On thread, my DFiL had an irritating dry cough that appeared just before bedtime. Drove my DMiL crazy. One time they were staying with us, we had recorded some radio show with a skit of the Brontes hacking away in their freezing parsonage. We played it at full volume outside their bedroom door. Luckily they had a sense of humour!

mags1234 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:17:17

I've had a hacking cough for five weeks, seen go, sick of it keeping returning.