Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think you would have done?

(58 Posts)
Juney64 Wed 11-Jan-17 15:07:25

Yesterday, I was waiting in a seated hospital queue for a blood test, ticket in hand, waiting for my number to be called. A 'lady' older than me walked into the waiting room and she was talking very loudly on her mobile phone. I say talking but really, her language was turning the air blue. She was angry about the hospital refusing to accept her 'non-hospital' prescription. It seems that she wanted everyone within a one mile radius to know how angry she was. She happened to sit right in my line of vision so I couldn't help but see her. I did my best to avoid looking at her. I looked in the other direction and when I looked back, her face was right in mine and she was screaming 'ITS ONLY WORDS DEAR!!' She's lucky I didn't bop her one as I hate people getting into my personal space, plus I was caught off-guard and could have reacted automatically by implementing my previously mentioned bop!

It was 20 minutes before I was called and during that time I sat there planning my revenge. I ended up doing nothing. Today I feel disappointed in myself for doing nothing. The experience is really irking me and I don't know why.

What do you think you would you have done?

tanith Wed 11-Jan-17 15:16:28

I can always think of a an appropriate cutting remark hours after the event but at the time I probably would of said something lame like 'how rude'. Just let it go Juney64 certainly not worth losing sleep over.flowers

Ana Wed 11-Jan-17 15:40:45

Ha, ha, how right you are tanith - that withering comment or witty rejoinder always comes to you several hours later (usually in the middle of the night!)

Rinouchka Wed 11-Jan-17 15:47:21

Yes. Quick, effective responses are not always spontaneous and, when and if they are, the beauty of them is usually lost on the recipient.

I would have moved my seat and sought to ignore her.

kittylester Wed 11-Jan-17 15:53:49

I am trying to perfect a withering look up and down - sort of a dowager duchess look. But my temptation would be to bop her one! grin

Juney64 Wed 11-Jan-17 15:54:26

You're right Tanith - I thought of super clever responses hours later lol. I think it's the feeling of 'an unused bop' that's surprising me more than anything! confused

phoenix Wed 11-Jan-17 16:01:12

I think I might have said "yes, only words, but it's a shame your vocabulary is so limited, and that the friend you were speaking to is deaf"

Ana Wed 11-Jan-17 16:05:46

Ah, but would you have thought of that in the couple of seconds available to Juney64? Not easy to summon up an instant response!

Ana Wed 11-Jan-17 16:06:59

(Must say, the thought of 'bopping' someone would never occur to me...confused)

DaphneBroon Wed 11-Jan-17 16:10:34

I believe that even that master of the scathing put-down, Winston Churchill, had them prepared in advance and contrary to appearances did not produce them off the cuff!
"How rude " sounds good, or maybe "Qué?"

Juney64 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:11:07

Nor me Ana - that's why I'm surprised.

kittylester Wed 11-Jan-17 16:18:10

If someone invades your personal space very aggressively I think a lot of us might have a primal urge to bop - most of us wouldn't do it though

Ana Wed 11-Jan-17 16:20:45

Hmm...yes, perhaps a firm shove then! grin

Elegran Wed 11-Jan-17 16:47:44

I hope I would have had the b***s to shove my face even closer and shout at her "It was the volume that I found must unpleasant! such a shame that you are deaf, poor you! I've heard all those words so many times that they are so boring."

But I would more likely have been struck dumb by the sheer gall of her.

Beammeupscottie Wed 11-Jan-17 16:58:33

Drink or Drugs, probably.

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 19:33:29

Or perhaps not quite right in the head?

Grannyben Wed 11-Jan-17 20:36:43

I would have prayed that I had my aging mother with me. I've never met anyone who can come out with an immediate remark, that can cut to the quick, quite like she can. I think it's years of practice but oh she is so good. If I was alone I would just mumble something and spend the rest of the day upset about the outburst. I had confrontation, clearly I'm not my mother's daughter

Grannyben Wed 11-Jan-17 20:37:16

Hate confrontation!

LadyGracie Wed 11-Jan-17 20:46:25

My mum would have said 'don't lower yourself to their level'. I agree with others you don't know what she may have been on. Best forgotten

downtoearth Thu 12-Jan-17 08:37:13

In my face ..I would have said did you know your breath smells so much I would look forward to your farts....and maybe a reflex of the leg to kick an ankle

DaphneBroon Thu 12-Jan-17 08:56:47

Actually I know that I would have done absolutely nothing and also that I would have been upset by it. I don't like confrontation and usually get by on the principle of "do as you would be done by". sad

glammanana Thu 12-Jan-17 09:03:12

I would just have carried on facing her with the most distasteful I could find and not say anything she would soon look away hopefully with embarressment.

Maggiemaybe Thu 12-Jan-17 09:26:54

Yes, Grannyben, my late mother had a store of perfect comebacks too, and would always say just the right thing. Very occasionally I have channelled her and been very proud of myself. I'm still working on the best reply to this one.....

Rosina Thu 12-Jan-17 10:20:44

I once took a step backwards and wrinkled my nose when a woman started shouting in my face at work. I was amazed at how that took the wind out of her sails; she lowered her tone about ten decibels and said 'What?? What??' So I murmured 'See you dental hygienist' while shuffling my case papers about and not looking directly at her - and she turned on her heel and left! I was quaking, and that has been my once in a lifetime put down. I only ever think of things later!

Dee Thu 12-Jan-17 10:30:56

This sort of behaviour seems to be quite common in hospital waiting areas, A & E etc. Some people have a sense of entitlement but no sense of responsibility, others are substance misusers or are mentally ill.
Think of how difficult it is for the staff who have to deal with them.
I think its irking you Juney because it made you feel impotent but there were others in the area too who also didn't react. I'd put it down as a learning experience and let it go. I know I would feel just the same if this had happened to me so I'll try and take my own advice if it ever does!