Gransnet forums

Chat

Annoying adverts

(56 Posts)
Angib Wed 15-Feb-17 18:46:36

Just watched the Ariel washing gel advert. Have we brought up a generation that doesn't know that you keep washing powder away from children and have to be told to do so. I assume they say it to stop themselves being sued.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 15-Feb-17 19:20:32

Unfortunately Angib we live in ridiculous "sue-ing" culture these days and all bases need to be covered :/ Apparently someone is even trying to sue Camelot for her winning loads of money due to her life becoming worse grin

merlotgran Wed 15-Feb-17 19:24:32

I laughed (like a drain) when I read that bit about the Camelot winner.

Presumably if she wins she won't be wanting compensation?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 15-Feb-17 19:26:20

I know, how funny was that! What a burden indeed.

Christinefrance Wed 15-Feb-17 19:33:37

Apparently someone suggested she give the money away if it was such a problem but she declined.
An advert I find annoying is the Farm Foods one, first Bradley Walsh then Len Goodman supposedly shopping there - as if.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 15-Feb-17 19:36:42

smile Churchill ones used to annoy the hell out of me. Bloody horrible voice for a dog.

vampirequeen Wed 15-Feb-17 19:57:01

I suggested that she gave it to me lol

I hate any advert that shows a woman smiling as her kids deliberately write on the walls, throw food around, squirt ketchup at each other, walk mud through the house, ruin their clothes etc. then continues smiling as she cleans, washes, repairs the damage and still has perfect hair, makeup and clothes when she's finished.

I also hate adverts that depict either gender as being stupid and incapable of performing the most simple task which is then done easily by someone of the opposite gender.

And whilst I'm on the subject I hate the 'look what you've won on the People's Postcode Lottery' adverts.

Then lets not forget the banks and loan companies who make it sound as they've doing someone a favour when they lend someone money.

And as I'm on a roll I also hate the holiday adverts where the sun always shines and any We Buy Any Car advert.

Angib Wed 15-Feb-17 20:03:10

And the insurance advert where the men are dressed in shorts and are twerking. I always turn the sound off so I'm not sure which company they're promoting.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 15-Feb-17 20:08:41

In fact. The one thing i love about having sky tv is that I pre-record everything i want to watch and zap the ads, never having to watch another one again smile

Ana Wed 15-Feb-17 20:12:42

Christinefrance, I do so agree about the Farm Foods ads.

As if either of those two even do their own shopping, never mind need to watch the pennies...hmm

NannyKasey Wed 15-Feb-17 20:31:16

The Clearscore.com ad (the cat in the new ads is more annoying than the woman in the previous ads who I could have strangled)and the new money supermarket ad annoy me. I have been home on sick leave since before Christmas and am getting fed up with all the ads for funeral plans on Daytime TV!

Witzend Thu 16-Feb-17 08:05:10

The one I've hated most was where the presumably loaded Michael Parkinson was being paid even more to put on his best 'cosy' voice and persuade the target audience - people with not much money - to shell out for some insurance plan.

As someone else has said, I mostly record and zap through the ads now.

NanaandGrampy Thu 16-Feb-17 09:23:21

I thought the insurance advert with the pole dancing builder quite clever but then came the men in shorts and heels that I just don't get and now they've added a woman that just makes me want to cringe !!

I hate it .

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 09:55:25

Adverts seem increasingly ridiculous. A lot of the ads feature non human or cartoon characters
I'm bewildered to find myself watching pretend meerkats watching pretend other meerkats in order to advertise insurance!

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 09:56:53

Oh I despise that men in heels and shorts ad. I find it really distasteful.

Lona Thu 16-Feb-17 10:00:11

I hate that interminable GTECH advert! He drones on and on and on! I always turn the sound off and tell him where to go.
I also agree about the Clearscore ones and the builders / men in shorts. Yuk!

I will NEVER buy these products!

Shortlegs Thu 16-Feb-17 10:19:33

Is that the advert where they say "keep away from children"?. I was unaware they specifically meant the washing powder, I assumed this was generic advice!

radicalnan Thu 16-Feb-17 10:25:06

I complained about the Money Supermarket ad as I think it is distasteful in that context, men slapping each others bottoms and being overtly sexual for an ad. They had quite a few complaints but thought the ad was fine.

I do however love the routine and the dancing just don't like the cross dressing/ sexual content relating to money in an ad.

I love the ad which says ;

'always keep away from children' who do they think buys their stuff?

However, had I kept away from children I would have much more money and no stretch marks.............

Blinko Thu 16-Feb-17 10:39:17

As I find almost all adverts intrusive and infuriating, I watch itv very selectively indeed. Apart from Downton... when it was on.

Morgana Thu 16-Feb-17 10:40:21

Hate the ads for sanitary wear. Not being prudish! Thank goodness periods can be talked about these days. But the ads seem to belittle women. 'You can do X y Z even when you're bleeding'. My goodness can we really!

fluff Thu 16-Feb-17 10:49:02

I must admit that I quite like the men in shorts ads, as I see it as them poking fun at all the ads where women are being ridiculously sexy promoting something like yogurt ( I particularly hate the Nicole Sherzinger ones). When I view the men in shorts gyrating and see it as a send up of those other ads I see it as amusing rather than annoying.

Yve1 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:53:09

We find the HSL chair adverts very irritating - she's so sibilant that it's grating.

I do quite like the Money Supermarket ones with the Strutters and the Builders but wouldn't buy their services.

I thought that the detergent has to be kept away from children because they can look like big jelly sweets but yes, it is a bit nanny-state to say it on the advert. It is written on the containers.

When we record a programme when there are two that we want to see on at the same time, we usually watch the BBC and record ITV so that we can fast forward through the adverts.

Jaycee5 Thu 16-Feb-17 11:00:31

I agree with VampireQueen about the Postcode Lottery ads. It's the pretence that they are doing it for charity that annoys me. It's not obviously good that 30% goes to charity - it is the idea that that is their motive for buying the ticket that I find annoying.

missdeke Thu 16-Feb-17 11:11:00

I think I hate just about all the ads mentioned except the meerkats, but I also hate the Vanish ads with the annoying computer sounds, and I nearly forgot the M&S food ads, that annoying tune drives me mad, it's like noises on computer games. Think I might have misphonia!!!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 16-Feb-17 11:16:30

The guy promoting his own invention vacuum cleaner.Grrrr
He pops up everywhere.
One of the ads I could watch for ever was at Xmas and that had me in stitches was the child with Grans 'best ever present'. The look on his mum and grans face was a picture that paints a thousand words
I know the feeling.