Gransnet forums

Chat

Some music makes me cry

(105 Posts)
Auntieflo Thu 16-Feb-17 11:48:34

Came back from my short walk this morning. DH has been busy and washed the hard floors nd has his music on. I put washing on the line, DH made coffee and here I am wasting time reading Gransnet and on comes Andrea Bocelli singing Time to say Goodbye. I am in bits

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 11:51:34

Auntieflo,
We had that played as my mums coffin was bought in at her funeral.
Its so beautiful. Made a little tear run down my cheek as soon as I read your words.

Luckygirl Thu 16-Feb-17 12:31:30

Children singing - breaks me up every time.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 12:33:15

The Christmas play at school is a tear jerker for me. I start to blub as soon as the piano plays the first keys!

tanith Thu 16-Feb-17 12:34:33

Jerusalem does it for me every time..

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 12:36:21

I find Karen Carpenters voice stirs me up. She had such a plaintive, poignant tone.

Linsco56 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:39:31

My friend and I took our mums to a panto 2 years ago and the children from a local school choir opened the evening by singing Scarlet Ribbons. Well, both mums were in a soggy puddle of tears but exclaimed "Oh, that was lovely"

harrigran Thu 16-Feb-17 12:54:11

School concerts get me every time.

Angib Thu 16-Feb-17 13:18:15

You raise me up by Josh Groban. I was listening to it quietly while I was in hospital once, without the headphones on, a nurse came by and said oh you've got the radio on, I apologised and said sorry I'll turn it off but almost in unison the other ladies in the ward said no, turn it up.

shysal Thu 16-Feb-17 14:11:39

Danny Boy, I Should Have Bought you Flowers by Bruno Mars, Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton, Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith. Also any of my young GCs singing at school.

Floradora9 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:29:59

Anything from La Boheme but especially the love duets.

ninathenana Thu 16-Feb-17 14:38:44

Children or a male voice choir. Especially if the men are singing in Welsh, even though I'm English.
Lady Smith Black Mambazo.

callgirl1 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:54:00

Cornet Carillon, by Black Dyke Mills Band, it was played at my husband`s funeral, as we entered the crematorium, and he played it in his younger days as a bandsman.

LadyGracie Thu 16-Feb-17 17:09:06

We had Time to Say Goodbye with Sarah Brightman singing at my father in laws funeral. I love her singing.
I just have to hear a military band and I'm gone.

Margsus Thu 16-Feb-17 17:19:28

Oh Mein Papa, a trumpet instrumental by Eddie Calvert. Gets me every time!

Greyduster Thu 16-Feb-17 17:35:50

"Flowers of the Forest" played on bagpipes is my tear jerker. Although I have to say (with apologies to all Scots) that I hate the sound of bagpipes, there is no other instrument that will do for this piece.

Greyduster Thu 16-Feb-17 17:39:03

There is also a piece called "The Lads in their Hundreds", which is taken from A Shropshire Lad, with music by Arthur Somervell. It has a line in it "to carry back bright to the coiner the mintage of man", which always brings a tear to my eye.

KatyK Thu 16-Feb-17 18:22:46

At my sister-in-law's funeral they played 'Catch the Wind' by Donovan. Makes me cry when I hear it.

Daddima Thu 16-Feb-17 18:32:35

Beethoven 9, Great Gate of Kiev from Pictures at an Exhibition, Bach Gounod Ave Maria, When I Leave the World Behind, all because of the memories they invoke.

Elrel Thu 16-Feb-17 19:11:04

Children, Away in a Manger especially, every Christmas in school!
Leonard Cohen, so much, but since the last concert I went to at O2, Sharon Robinson's beautiful voice singing 'Alexandra Leaving'. It followed me down the corridors as I left before the end to escape the crowds to the tube. Truly sublime.
Bryn Terfel's 'Shenandoah' possibly because GS's school choir sang it too when they were 12.

DanniRae Thu 16-Feb-17 19:12:25

Adele singing "A Million Years Ago" - with the line "I miss my mother.........." makes me cry every time I hear it.
Young children singing Carols also make me weep.

bartonlady Thu 16-Feb-17 19:47:55

Highland Cathedral on the bagpipes, if tomorrow never comes by Ronan Keating, Achokan Farewell, these three are guaranteed to make the tears flow!

bluebirdwsm Thu 16-Feb-17 20:40:47

The Winner Takes It all - Abba, reminds me of a painful breakup

Circle of Life, and Can You Feel The Love Tonight - Elton John and
Time To Say Goodbye - Kathryn Jenkins, all make me remember funerals I have been to.

I immediately get choked up and/or tears fall when I hear any of them.

hildajenniJ Thu 16-Feb-17 20:56:14

The duet from The Pearl Fishers, Bring him home from Les' Mis'. Teach your children by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkaKwXddT_I

janetta46 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:42:02

The Dixie Chicks, Godspeed, Sweet Dreams, and Dr. Hook with Sylvia's Mother