Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotel room cups

(73 Posts)
Atqui Thu 16-Feb-17 17:30:45

In a novel I read recently , a hotel cleaner used the bathroom cloth to clean the tea cups in the room. This rather disgusting tale lead me to wonder what does happen to the cups , as I've never seen clean ones on the trolley in the corridor. I did stay in one hotel,where they provided a clean tea towel each day. Does anyone have any inside knowledge to set my mind at rest or otherwise. Am I getting OCD in my old age??

petra Thu 16-Feb-17 18:38:59

Atqui. I was a hotel cleaner for some years. If the cup situation worries you, take your own wink
And don't upset the waitresses if you use the restaurant wink

Ana Thu 16-Feb-17 18:41:26

You can always rinse them yourself in the bathroom if you're that concerned!

tanith Thu 16-Feb-17 18:53:18

Surely not?? I might just take my own as I'll never be sure now.

Ana Thu 16-Feb-17 19:00:23

What about the rumour that restaurant staff spit on your food in the kitchen?

Honestly, you'd never to anywhere if you're that paranoid!

Ana Thu 16-Feb-17 19:00:59

'go anywhere'

Christinefrance Thu 16-Feb-17 19:08:26

I try not to think about it, like hotel pillows.
My husband was chef in a big hotel so I'm saying nothing. smile

willsmadnan Thu 16-Feb-17 19:15:48

Ever heard the one about your toothbrush and the toilet atqui? As ana says if you dwell on those things you'll never stir out of your own home. Hope you never help yourself to a handful of peanuts shockwhile waiting for your glass of wine, which has probably only been rinsed. Hotel cups are the least of your problems.

Atqui Thu 16-Feb-17 19:51:10

I agree best not to dwell, but I am curious ! Oooh I'll defo hide my toothbrush in future!!

grumppa Thu 16-Feb-17 20:12:26

Many years ago in college, my scout brought me a jug of hot water every morning which was poured into a bowl. I eventually discovered that he used my towel to wipe the bowl dry afterwards. Well, it was my dirt and it didn't kill me

annodomini Thu 16-Feb-17 20:37:48

When I read George Orwell's 'Down and out in Paris and London' in which he recounts he experiences in a posh Parisian restaurant, I had misgivings about ever eating in Paris. Perhaps hygiene has improved since those days. Who can tell?

BlueBelle Thu 16-Feb-17 20:41:22

Do you know where your cup has been when you drink your coffee after your meal in a restaurant ?
Do any of you know where your plates knives and forks have been before you pick the up in the cafe ?
I have worked in kitchens in hotels and restaurants when I was young I m not going to tell you any more, but it opened my eyes, and made me very easygoing about all things like this, we just can't worry about these things all the time

Deedaa Thu 16-Feb-17 21:50:10

A friend of mine once worked in the kitchens at The Dorchester and said they were the filfthiest she'd ever been in.

grannypiper Fri 17-Feb-17 12:30:37

clean meat never fattened a pig ! rinse the cups first and hide your toothbrush and you will feel better

Willow500 Sat 18-Feb-17 06:43:33

Having just watched a cctv video on line of a cleaner in a hotel room checking out every piece of the occupants technology (presumably left out deliberately) I'd be more concerned about what you leave lying around than the state of the cups.

tiredoldwoman Sat 18-Feb-17 08:02:54

My daughter has a summer job working in a local hotel . She was shown by the housekeeper how to wash out the glasses in the bathroom then dry them with the towels which were going to the laundry !

Elenkalubleton Sat 18-Feb-17 09:33:31

I worked in a supermarket on deli counter, I saw a colleague wipe the floor with a cloth and then back to the counter!Also the lad on the fish dept spat on the fish he was filleting,because customer had upset him.I always wash the cups in hotel with very hot water,will hide my toothbrush!

Katekeeprunning Sat 18-Feb-17 09:35:56

Jesus wept, these stories are shocking

DorothyGherkins Sat 18-Feb-17 09:42:45

Perhaps this will make you feel better! Used to work at a Best Western type hotel. We had a special detergent/bleach powder especially to soak the cups inbetween guests, and used a clean pillow case to dry them! I ve known other smaller hotels to wash all the cups/mugs in dishwasher, which seems much more civilised.

Yorkshiregel Sat 18-Feb-17 10:07:43

I never use the hotel cups, and I keep my toothbrush in my washbag. You cannot be too careful.

I know someone who, before getting in to bed, strips off all the covers and pillows to make sure there are no 'extra guests'!

I try to be nice to waitresses and waiters. They do a good job and they don't get paid a lot.

I remember sending a dover sole back because it stank of dog poo. How the waiter had not smelt it as he brought it to the table I do not know. It was replaced with a chicken breast that was half cooked and red in the middle so I made a loud noise about it and got up to leave. We were getting our coats on when the Head Waiter came up with a bottle of wine and an apology. Never went there again, and never paid the bill either.

Zorro21 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:09:05

Atqui

Can I suggest you watch "Four in a bed" on TV where B & B owners compete against each other. They can be really interesting or "The Hotel Inspector" - then you'd get an inside view. I love The Hotel Inspector (Alex Polizzi) who is a member of the famous Forte family.

Yorkshiregel Sat 18-Feb-17 10:10:31

The spitting in their coffee if someone upset you is also used in the Armed Forces. :-) Still 'it adds froth' as Baldrick said.

Christinefrance Sat 18-Feb-17 10:26:18

I watched Four in a bed too Zorro as we used to do a bit of B&B, it's all got a bit 'samey' pedant alert . Amazing how standards vary as to acceptable standards. Hotel Inspector is more varied with some very eccentric hoteliers.

Diddy1 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:33:39

Oh dear, as others have said, if in doubt just rinse your cup, as I think I will in the future, the toothbrush bit doesnt sound too healthy, perhaps best to hide that too, but then it is being a bit paranoid, and we have survived some years, without knowing about these things, I think we will survive a bit longer if we dont think about it too much, life is getting shorter!

Morghew70 Sat 18-Feb-17 11:27:28

"Diddy1" - I agree with you life is far too short. We've all reached a certain age relatively unscathed which maybe in part due to all the germs and bugs we've ingested.