Gransnet forums

Chat

FaceTime /Skype

(62 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 13-Mar-17 10:09:21

I know many of you enjoy it and I have just had a lovely 10 minutes with DD and DGS aged 10 months. Lovely to see his happy smiling face but OMG the close up of the wrinkly, puffy eyed, jowly old bag in the corner of the screen. Who or what was that? If nothing else that neck needs ironing.
Seriously, what is effectively a selfie at close quarters , eyes screwed up, several chins because you are looking down at the iPad. Who on earth invented that? And how do you cope?
Burka? Niqab? Vaseline on the camera lens?
I can't afford to have "work done" and in any case it would be so extensive as to involve listed building planning permission.
#feelingallofmy69years

Lynnebo Mon 13-Mar-17 10:14:09

The secret is - don't look!!! They love to see us - crevices n all - so just concentrate on the bigger picture and those beautiful faces of loved ones brought closer by technology ?

tanith Mon 13-Mar-17 10:15:38

Same here MawBroon my turkey neck is awful I'm trying some online exercises for it at the moment I'll let you know if it works grin.
I don't know what the answer is but I agree seeing yourself in a photo or on screen seems to make it ten times worse.
I always get a nasty shock if I happen to be wearing my glasses when I look in the magnifying side of the bathroom mirror too wink

Grannybags Mon 13-Mar-17 10:18:24

I know what you mean MawBroon I was recently given a photo capturing the moment my GD threw herself into my arms and gave me a big hug. Lovely - except the screwed up wrinkly old biddy she was cuddling can't possibly be me!

If I catch sight of myself in a shop window I always have that "who the hell is that?" moment!

Rinouchka Mon 13-Mar-17 11:55:16

I cannot prove is logically or scientifically but I look so much better on Skype than I do on Facetime.
On the latter,I look like a ancient nightmare rising back to the surface whereas on the former, I am what I recognise as me, and more importantly, how I want my skyping grandchildren to see me. Not great, but not a nightmare, either!

Rinouchka Mon 13-Mar-17 11:59:32

...and just to repeat what others may not realise: Happy Birthday, Maw! But stay away from Facetime. It would make even Angelina Jolie look like an old crow.

ninathenana Mon 13-Mar-17 12:01:21

Hold your I-pad up above eye level smile
It stretches the neck and is more flattering. That's why the kids do their selfies from that angle.
Of course if your like me that then plays on the arthritic shoulders sad

mcem Mon 13-Mar-17 12:06:20

Didn't realise maw that we're almost twins. I turned 69 on Friday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ?????

MawBroon Mon 13-Mar-17 12:25:16

We were probably out in the same pubs/union bar back in the day!!
Belated birthday wishes to you too!!

Willow500 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:07:33

We've been Skyping NZ for 3 years and can agree you don't look your best on the tiny screen in the corner - then my son got an iPad and suddenly decided to Face time us. On Sat I connected the iPad to the tv with a cable and hung it from the top of the tv so we were actually looking at the camera rather than down at it. Result - the family appeared full size on the TV which was great and we were so far away from the iPad that we couldn't see ourselves on it grin

meadowgran Mon 13-Mar-17 15:44:38

As well as the wrinkles, frizzy fly away hair, turkey neck and double chin I always look flushed too as though I have drunk several glasses which I haven't (well not usually anyway). The contrast on the screen with my peaches and cream youngest daughter (aged 24) or my sweet little granddaughters is horrific. Still I love to see them and hope they can bear looking at me!

grandma60 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:00:40

What is even worse though is that they are seeing us on a full sized screen.blush

TriciaF Mon 13-Mar-17 16:58:09

Ours usually Skype at unexpected times, when we're looking at our worst. No chance to brush hair, put on lipstick, take off pinny etc.
But it's good to see their surroundings. Ours usually use some camera or other to survey what's going on around them. So interesting because they all live in completely different environments from us, (we're in rural France.)
Our son in Kuwait is usually out shopping. Or driving with GS moaning in back seat.
The son in India has views of ladies in saris fussing around preparing a meal in their tiny kitchen, or chasing the children.
The 2 girls in England show the more familiar backgrounds, which we've visited more often, and make us homesick.
We haven't yet mastered the same camera skills.

TriciaF Mon 13-Mar-17 17:05:53

ps meadowgran "as though I had drunk several glasses" grin
Me too! Well maybe one.

Newquay Mon 13-Mar-17 18:45:44

Happy birthday Maw and Mcem. How strange I have two friend who both have their birthdays today too. ??
Yes I can't believe who the old lady is on FaceTime either. Don't know what the answer is . . . . .

mcem Mon 13-Mar-17 18:59:08

My biggest shock came when I had to renew my passport. I know that no-one likes how they look on these photographs but they were so awful that I waited a day or two, took more care with the makeup ., tried again and still hate them. I convinced myself (almost) that it's the harsh lights and lack of smile that spoil what would otherwise be a reasonable pic!!

mcem Mon 13-Mar-17 19:01:16

Ps thanks for b'day wishes. Had a lovely weekend with my 'special' GDS whose b'day was just 2 days after mine.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 13-Mar-17 19:43:03

Im another one that doesn't look. It doesn't matter with family though does it. Other than that its black and white or sepia all the way these days smile

tidyskatemum Mon 13-Mar-17 20:12:41

I found I look better on the laptop than the ipad - light seems a bit more flattering - so I always use the laptop to call! I've also invested in a gadget from a well known slimming club which claims to give you a "natural facelift" if you use it for several weeks. So far it's given me jaw ache but it's only been a week so I shall persevere.

Ankers Mon 13-Mar-17 21:52:06

Happy Birthday Maw and mcem.

Hopehope Mon 13-Mar-17 23:54:18

I have never skyped, and hate having even a photograph taken, Why is it that when I look in the mirror I don't look TOO bad, nowhere near nice you understand, but not too scary. The other day I got the shock of my life. We had a new camera and I was trying to get it sorted with the laptop, send pics accross . I saw a button marked camera so clicked it. Horror of Horrors there was ME filling up the screen. I look like a miserable old bat, I actually was feeling pretty good until I saw that sad now I feel I should stay indoors the rest of my life.

Hopehope Mon 13-Mar-17 23:57:07

oh mcem. You made me think of my bus pass now. The photo is terrible. I am surprised the driver doesn't say " we don't take frankinstein's Bride on board" [cry]

Ginny42 Tue 14-Mar-17 07:51:40

I had a long journey home last week and as I went through passport control I actually looked like my passport photo!

Newquay Tue 14-Mar-17 08:47:21

Oh we can always rely on GNetters to cheer us up, thanks Hope and Ginny, made me laugh. And when I look at recent lovely family photos on holiday just WHO is that pear shaped droopy woman? When did she join the family??

bumblebee123 Tue 14-Mar-17 09:17:00

Ladies, you are a great bunch of comediennes and have something very special, the ability to make people smile. Remember, you are grans and have achieved the highest honour, the granny look. If you do wish to hide your neck then wear a scarf, or maybe a veil. Take my tip, don't. You could show photos of yourselves when you were in your teens or twenties. I'm rather new here and I wonder if you know what each other look like. Among those wrinkles you don't like, are there any laughter lines?
Do we have a granny picture page?