Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby Wipes

(103 Posts)
Jayanna9040 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:59:17

Ok, I can't keep it to myself. Today I have seen a new v expensive product. Baby wipes for that sensitive skin. The unique selling point? They only contain water.
A bargain at £3.95 for twenty.
Or do I just not get it?

MawBroon Tue 21-Mar-17 23:00:56

gringrin
Special mineral water?
Holy water?

Jayanna9040 Tue 21-Mar-17 23:05:51

Nope, don't think so. Just the stuff that comes out of the tap.......

Cherrytree59 Tue 21-Mar-17 23:21:58

Bottled water for drinking
water spray for your face
And now baby wipes with water

Who needs a tap?hmm

Marydoll Tue 21-Mar-17 23:23:50

My DIL uses them for DGD's sensitive skin. What is wrong with plain water? They are OK if you are out and about and need to change a nappy , but a ridiculous price.

Maggiemaybe Tue 21-Mar-17 23:31:19

Didn't we just use cotton wool and tap water?

Jalima Tue 21-Mar-17 23:42:12

I did buy a facial spray last year because I got so hot and wasn't near a tap blush

grannyqueenie Tue 21-Mar-17 23:48:42

Heck, one of the mums left a pack of these behind last week at the Mum and Baby group I help to run. We popped them in the cupboard, in case she comes tomorrow, had no idea they were that expensive!

ninathenana Wed 22-Mar-17 07:08:33

Exactly Maggie and the majority survived without nappyrash.

Falconbird Wed 22-Mar-17 07:30:15

That's expensive!!!

I am in constant awe of disposable nappies and baby wipes. When I was a mum with two children under two in the early 70s my kitchen always had two buckets of nappies soaking in nappisan. Go back to work?? I think not. Disposable nappies etc. have been a huge liberation for today's parents.

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 07:31:28

My DGC think its hilarious when I head towards their mucky faces brandishing a clean wet flannel. Sometimes I get really modern and use a J-Cloth! Those wipe things are terrible. Too small and bad for the environment.

Still, if these new ones contain just water does it mean they can be washed and re-used? Now there's a marketing idea - re-usable wipes!

Falconbird Wed 22-Mar-17 07:34:03

I used to carry a wet J cloth about in a plastic bag when I went out for the day with the children. I used to rinse it out from time to time in the sink in public toilets. smile

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 07:36:59

Me too!

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 07:41:58

I do use baby wipes - for stain removal. They take out most stains - except muddy doggy paw marks - which is worrying as to what's in them and what's it doing to babies skins so perhaps having them contain just water isn't a bad idea. Just a rip off.

Izabella Wed 22-Mar-17 08:24:20

My worry is environmental.

Christinefrance Wed 22-Mar-17 08:30:29

How I remember those buckets of nappies soaking in Napisan, not a pleasant job to get them ready for washing. I had to boil them in a zinc tub on the hob.
I worry about the environmental impact of all the different wipes available too Izabella.

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 08:38:19

Yes, I believe the only way to get rid of them is incineration. They don't rot apparently.

Marydoll Wed 22-Mar-17 08:40:26

I had three children under 5 nearly 40 years ago and I remember the buckets of terry nappies and the constant smell of Napisan and dirty nappies. Terry Nappies were great for the environment, but disposables are so liberating. I used to keep a packet for when we went on a day trip, they were such a luxury, as we were always skint, as I didn't work.
We look after our DGD two days a week and she wears pull up nappies. I have rheumatoid arthritis and they make my life so much easier. I would struggle to hold her still enough and do up the pin on a terry nappy. I also have a packet of those water wipes, as DIL request I use them. Young mothers today, have it so much easier than we did, or do they? They are under so much pressure from peers and the media to have the best of equipment and latest fashions.

Jayanna9040 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:45:33

I'm all in favour of the water bit. And I can see these wipes are good when you're out and need to do a change. But at home when there's water in the tap? I suppose I was thinking of someone using them every day. The environmental impact! The cost! The rip off!

travelsafar Wed 22-Mar-17 08:51:29

I agree that young mothers have life much easier than we did in some respects, but then again we had it much easier than generations before us. Life is a cycle of improvements in so many ways even if us oldies dont think so. We can see the rip offs, the unecesssary waste of money and cost to the enviroment with such things as wipes, the next generation will feel the same way about something else no doubt.

Greyduster Wed 22-Mar-17 08:58:02

We seem to be locked into wipes of one sort or another these days - baby wipes (very good for cleaning fly fishing lines!), bottom wipes, kitchen and bathroom wipes, dashboard wipes - they bring them on, we lap them up (well some of us anyway)!

TriciaF Wed 22-Mar-17 09:18:12

An alternative - I once belonged to a "Green" forum where someone had the idea of using squares of old rags for bottom-wiping in the lavatory.
You keep a bucket of water next to it and put the soiled rags into that, before washing and re-using shock
Many people were enthusiastic!

Jayanna9040 Wed 22-Mar-17 09:20:12

Ok. Enough! I'm converted to be wipes?

Jayanna9040 Wed 22-Mar-17 09:20:39

"the"

DanniRae Wed 22-Mar-17 09:25:56

TriciaF - YUK!!shock