Gransnet forums

Chat

Tall stories from GC'

(26 Posts)
annsixty Mon 15-May-17 08:51:51

There is an item in the DT today about a family visited by the police and having their own dog's microchip checked after the son was overheard to say he wanted a pet so his Father stole one from a garden,
My GS aged 7 and recently diagnosed with Autism , went to a party on Saturday. He can decide at the last minute not to go, but he was keen to go to this one. It is also usual for him to come home saying he has had the worst time ever.
My S picked me up from the train so I went with him to pick A up. As usual we asked if he had enjoyed it and he said well apart from the worst 12 of my life.!!

He said he felt ill (very common with him)and a boy in a red tee shirt took him to reception at the play centre where the party was held.
when the staff asked him who he was with and where Mum and Dad where he replied oh my Dad just brought me and dropped me off and then went home.
The staff actually rang the police and then A said Oh those are my Friends over there. A member of staff took him over to the Mum in charge who said yes he was with them and they rang the police to report all was well.
We didn't know if this was A doing his usual and it wasn't until Sunday lunch time when the mum of the B'day boy texted A's mum to say what had happened, she had never said a word to my S.

cornergran Mon 15-May-17 09:02:19

Goodness, ann, that could have been 'interesting' smile. We have a granddaughter with an active imagination. She weaves stories based on fact and we can all struggle to know where fact ends and fiction begins. She is also very dramatic in the telling. There have been some awkward queries from school in the past, less now as the school staff understand her better. Children, eh?

hildajenniJ Mon 15-May-17 09:38:53

Oh ann, that sounds like the sort of thing my Aspie grandson would say. He gets himself and his family into all sorts of bother with his story telling! At his appointment for diagnosis, (when he was 5), he was asked what he'd done on his holidays. As he hadn't been away anywhere, he told them that he'd gone with Granny and Grandpa in their camper van to the seaside. As they'd asked, he thought they needed a story. He's very imaginative and inventive.
By the way, we don't have a camper van.

annsixty Mon 15-May-17 09:49:14

When A first saw the psychologist she asked him what he lilef doing at school
He said he liked using long words

She told him about a word that her own son had used, it was symbiotic and she explained the meaning
He came back very quickly with Oh you mean like Donald Trump and his bodyguards

Nelliemaggs Mon 15-May-17 10:29:37

Not exactly a story but my 6 year old, already very keen on drawing, was asked to draw his kitchen. He did very detailed pictures and he added a bottle of Guinness. He then decided that drawing bottles was his forte so he drew as many bottles as he had time for. On parents' evening there was his drawing of 'My Kitchen' up on the wall for all to see.blush

00mam00 Mon 15-May-17 10:42:16

CORNERGRAN, ditto, I think we must share a GD.

Dee Mon 15-May-17 11:14:55

My 5 year old granddaughter isn't on the autistic spectrum but she does have a very vivid imagination and a pretend friend, Molly, who is 1000 years old.
Molly has done and been everywhere, often taking my GD with her.
Up to now I've gone along with all her stories but I think she is reaching the developmental stage where she needs to be sorting out fact from fiction. Its really hard to squash her ideas though.
On the school front, as a retired primary school teacher my light hearted advice at parents evenings was that I'd agree to only believe 50% of what I was told about home if the parents would reciprocate with 50% of what their child said about school!
This would never apply if I was seriously worried about a child protection issue of course.

meandashy Mon 15-May-17 11:30:05

My dd when aged 5 was asked by a teacher what she'd done at the weekend.
She told them she'd had crack!!
I was called into the school at the end of the day to explain! What she'd actually had was crackling from the roast pork!
Dgd (then aged 3) told her mum I'd allowed her to go to the shops on her own! I most certainly hadn't. These kids would get us shot ?

amt101 Mon 15-May-17 11:57:11

Can I suggest to all grandparents to write down anything from their grandchildren that they think is clever or amusing. I've been doing this with my youngest grandchild and it is wonderful to look back and remember their sayings. If you don't write them down, you forget.

silverlining48 Mon 15-May-17 12:06:38

I kept a little book in which i wrote a bout both my daughters from birth to about 18. They now bave their books and i have done the same for my two grandchildren which i hope they will find of interest when they are older. I put in what we do together, where we go, sleepovers here and odd tickets from shows etc and always try to remember to include the funny things they say.

grannylyn65 Mon 15-May-17 12:16:12

I well remember DS telling everyone he had had only bones to eat ! ( ribs)

Gaggi3 Mon 15-May-17 13:11:51

When DDs were young we felt we provided plenty of interesting outings etc. Reading the youngest's News book at school, however, it clearly wasn't enough, as some much more exotic experiences had been added that definitely didn't happen.

Topcat7 Mon 15-May-17 13:22:47

When my niece was 4 I took her shopping with me and met up with a friend who had a daughter of the same age. My friend's daughter was very mischievious and kept running off around the various shops. My niece watched all this and then in a very loud voice said "she is being very naughty isn't she" I agreed and said how good my niece was being to which she replied "if I was naughty like that you would hit me with a big stick when we got home". I hasten to add this had and never would happen just an over active imagination on the part of my niece.

Nelliemoser Mon 15-May-17 13:34:46

Small children do not always have a sense of the truth and tend to tell people what they think they want to hear.

As well as misinterpreting situations. It can be very embarrassing for parents etc.

jocarter Mon 15-May-17 14:44:29

A few weeks ago my Dd was called into school to see the child protection teacher she immediately went to find out what was wrong absolutely petrified of what it could be. Apparently Dgd who is 6 told her teacher that daddy locked her in the cupboard under the stairs in the dark and doesn't feed her. Dd was seriously confused mainly because they didn't have a cupboard under the stairs. They brought Dgd into the meeting and she was gentility questioned about the events again. She retold her story but added on that it didn't matter because scooby doo and shaggy come and bring her Scooby snacks and save her . Little madam!!

inishowen Mon 15-May-17 16:07:34

My daughter is very pregnant. Yesterday her five year old daughter went into the garage and told her dad "Mummy did a big wee wee on the floor". Son in law rushed indoors thinking her waters had broken. Only to find my daughter calmly watching tv. No wee wee had been done!! We can't understand what was going on in the little girls mind.

Absgran Mon 15-May-17 16:12:23

As a retired teacher, we are told many stories about family life. I've only had to react seriously in two cases which were genuine cases of neglect or abuse.

inishowen Mon 15-May-17 16:12:29

My granddaughter (5) has also said she's getting her ears pierced, getting a brace, has a loose tooth, and is getting glasses. All things she heard older children talk about. None of it true.

dizzygran Mon 15-May-17 16:35:05

When my daughter was young she couldn't spell restaurant so whenever we went out in her stories we went to the pub - no matter where we went!! I'm not sure her teacher believed me when I explained.

quizqueen Mon 15-May-17 17:10:33

Surely parents of a child aged 7 with special needs should have thought it was appropriate to accompany him at the party rather than leave him in someone else's care especially, as you admit, his behaviour can be unpredictable. The boy is not the responsibility of the party hosts who would want to concentrate on their own child having a good time!

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-May-17 17:20:21

Topcat7, I was discussing our family Halloween party with my two year old DGS, and said that Nanna would be dressing up as a wicked witch. Oh yes, he said, and you will have a big stick and knock me down with it. I assured him that hitting with big sticks was not on the party agenda, but he kept insisting, and acting out this vicious assault. When I rang my DD later to tell her about this, she laughed and said he'd just told her I had knocked him down with a big stick! shock It's a good job she knows me!

annsixty Mon 15-May-17 17:42:53

Thank you for that advice quizqueen
My GS is a highly intelligent child as many autistic children are.He doesn't have special needs and the mother in charge who knows him well was more than happy to take responsibility for him
The play centre is very safe and no child can get out without beimg with an adult who signs themself and the child out.
Your concern for him is noted but not needed.

grannysyb Mon 15-May-17 17:47:59

Well said annsixty!

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-May-17 17:56:53

Agreed.

Grandmama Mon 15-May-17 18:48:51

When I started school aged 5 and came home for lunch on my first day he asked me what my teacher was called. I said "Mrs Peace". "Oh", said my father, "I knew her brother in Hull, Charlie Peace". So of course I returned to school and said "My daddy knew your brother Charlie in Hull". Charlie Peace murdered 2 people and was hanged at Armley in 1879. Mrs Peace never really liked me.