Gransnet forums

Chat

Modesty Shorts

(71 Posts)
paddyann Wed 28-Jun-17 00:15:53

apparently if you put a young girl in a dress or skirt nowadays the normal underwear isn't enough,my daughter has been telling me that some of her friends are buying modesty shorts to wear under ,on top of their pants.Am I being odd to think wee girls dont need an extra layer of clothes or are there really that many perverts about that are watching our kids in the jope of seeing their undies

paddyann Wed 28-Jun-17 00:16:18

Hope!

phoenix Wed 28-Jun-17 02:41:05

Sad state of affairs, paddyann.

suzied Wed 28-Jun-17 05:16:26

I think the small Lycra exercise shorts under dresses is a good idea for girls who want to hang upside down on monkey bars or do cartwheels on the school field. School dresses seem very short these days and most girls don't want to show off their pants! It's not just about perverts. I've made some gingham shorts for my GDs to match their summer dresses , I've had so many requests I could start a business.

BlueBelle Wed 28-Jun-17 05:49:11

Only young girls do it usually the ones that want to fo cartwheels or handstands at schools it's not normally seen over the age of 11 ( well not round here anyway) and to be honest I haven't noticed it this summer, it's probably been and gone

Grannyknot Wed 28-Jun-17 07:17:30

I've not heard of them, but I was on the bus last week, sitting in the seat on the aisle that faces the stairs coming down from the upper level. At a stop, a young girl in a tiny, floaty skirt scampered down the stairs and as I glanced up, I looked straight into her crotch, she must have been wearing a thong. She could have done with modesty shorts!

I must have looked startled, because she realised and was embarrassed, tugged at her skirt when she reached the bottom of the stairs. It did make me wonder about young girls and the perils of skimpy clothing.

Riverwalk Wed 28-Jun-17 07:38:48

It's a bit of a moral conundrum.

I can see how they can be useful if a young girl wants to be unrestricted in the playground and do cartwheels and hang upside down.

Whilst I deplore very young girls all 'tarted-up' it does rather send out the message that girls should be the ones to cover up their little bodies and be 'modest'.

Lillie Wed 28-Jun-17 07:50:50

So, does it send out the message that the ones who don't cover themselves in modesty shorts are easy or asking for it? That simply isn't right. I can't see the point, but then neither do I get the idea of leggings under dresses.

suzied Wed 28-Jun-17 07:51:13

Quite a few men at my gym wear modesty shorts- Lycra cycling type shorts with baggy ones over the top. My Oh says its to " stop their goolies hanging out!"

suzied Wed 28-Jun-17 08:00:44

I think it's a sensible and practical item of clothing can't see a problem if it gives girls more freedom when girls are wearing short dresses. We are talking primary school here, girls may be restricted in how they sit/ play, not talking about pervy adults, just they don't want the boys/ girls to tease them and don't want to show off their pants.

Sparklefizz Wed 28-Jun-17 08:18:50

A friend of mine goes to a physiotherapist who requests that all female patients wear modesty shorts for treatment. I suppose it protects him as well as the patients.

Anya Wed 28-Jun-17 08:19:06

We have a 'green' outside our houses. My GDs went outside to play on it the other day and were turning cartwheels. I noticed they only had little knickers on (which I hadn't noticed before and they looked inadequate under the circumstances). I asked them to come in and put leggings on and felt they were better equipped for upside down activities now.

Anniebach Wed 28-Jun-17 08:35:39

Lot to be said for the navy knickers with a little pocket on the leg

Luckygirl Wed 28-Jun-17 08:44:53

Nothing wrong with a glimpse of a little girl's pants when she is out playing - I am not sure about flashing what is in the pants though.

I think the shorts thing is just a fashion thing with little girls at the moment. My DGD wears them over leggings with a top of some sort - like a mini tunic. You can even get shorts and leggings combined as one garment. Even my DDs wear those.

Anya Wed 28-Jun-17 08:52:44

Plenty wrong with little girls showing their knickers in a public place these days luckygirl. It ought not to be the case but it is.

GDs quite happy to splash around naked in sprinkler in back garden. Everyone needs to learn that some behaviour is acceptable and/or appropriate in some circumstances but not in others.

I think young mums are pretty good at choosing appropriate clothing these days. Seeing more and more young girls in clothes that allow them great freedom.

Lillie Wed 28-Jun-17 09:15:26

We are talking primary school here, girls may be restricted in how they sit/ play, not talking about pervy adults, just they don't want the boys/ girls to tease them and don't want to show off their pants.

Sorry, I got confused because paddyann opened by saying her daughter, who must be an adult, had friends who were wearing them. (Assuming paddyann is a GM!)

However, M & S sell them up to age 16 and many 6th formers I know wear them too, so it isn't just primary age children. I just feel youngsters should feel free to wear what they like with no concerns either way.

Iam64 Wed 28-Jun-17 09:25:52

It's a fashion thing I suspect. We're all used to seeing teens and young women in black tights or leggings under tiny denim shorts. Leggings or jeans and tunics are staples in the wardrobes of women of all age. (Ok less over 80's).
Annie, at high school we wore an airtex shirt and navy nickers with a pocket for gym. You can imagine the torture in the twenty minute walk to the sports field where we did athletics, rounders, hockey and running. We were aged 11 - 16 - horrific with all the horns blowing, hooting and whistling. Shorts would have been a boon.

DanniRae Wed 28-Jun-17 09:35:47

A bit off thread but just wanted to say that I loved wearing my navy blue school knickers so much that I still wore them for a while after I left school. Weird I know but I just felt more 'secure' with thick pants on. Luckily it didn't last and I was soon in pretty M and S pants - still am actually!! grin

Iam64 Wed 28-Jun-17 09:46:10

I didn't feel more secure on those walks of shame Danny's Rae ?

Angela1961 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:18:23

I will say only this. I had 2 daughters in the early 80s and never saw any danger/problem with girls undies or their activities . However, I've worked in a prison which also housed a sex offenders wing. My thoughts have now changed .

moobox Wed 28-Jun-17 10:29:29

Probably twice as good as the couple of times my DD forgot to put her knickers on for school and I never noticed.

Welshwife Wed 28-Jun-17 10:35:58

My DGD is now adult but when she was at primary school she often dressed herself with two pairs of knickers when going to school. When questioned she said it was to stop her being raped!!! At the time we doubted that she knew exactly what that meant.

Lindajane Wed 28-Jun-17 10:40:07

We can't get our 5 yr old GC in knickers, let alone modesty shorts!

HildaW Wed 28-Jun-17 10:42:42

My Mum used to make me little dresses with smocking across the front.....I wore them till I was in school....she always made rather voluminous 'knickers' in the same fabric. Fond memories!

whitewave Wed 28-Jun-17 10:44:07

Yes very very sadly if I had the responsibility of dressing a little girl now I would ensure that her knickers were entirely adequate to cover her. Not sure shorts are necessary though as there is no logic unless you dress them in shorts on the beach etc.