Gransnet forums

Chat

Holiday reads

(69 Posts)
Kittye Sat 26-Aug-17 09:19:31

I'm off on holiday next week and want to load up my kindle. Any suggestions ? I'm looking for easy reading and open to most genre although not keen on sci-fi or fantasy.

Eglantine19 Sat 26-Aug-17 09:43:47

I've just discovered Rosie Thomas. The Kashmir Shawl was in Kindle's 99p list and it was very good. I got another of hers out of the library and couldn't put it down. She's my find of the year!

Teetime Sat 26-Aug-17 09:51:00

I've just read Lie with Me on Kindle - brilliant sorry don't have author's name to hand as I have deleted it now. It was a 99p one though I think.

harrigran Sat 26-Aug-17 09:57:36

For easy reading I like Monica McInerney, she has written lots of books and they are lovely stories of family life.

Imperfect27 Sat 26-Aug-17 10:54:53

I am never up to date, but recently I really enjoyed ' Small Great Things' by Jodie Piccoult - deals with issues of racism / white supremacy (topical!) and I loved 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak (WW2 setting) and a quirky and beautifully observed story called 'Perfect' by Rachel Joyce - about childhood into adolescence with a touching adult love story.

I hope you have a lovely holiday - deciding what to take as a read is a lovely part of it. x

Sunlover Sat 26-Aug-17 15:32:21

I loved The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah.

Kittye Sat 26-Aug-17 16:42:39

Thank you all so much. I'll have a read up of books suggested, I especially like the idea of 99p ones. I have read
'The Book Thief' and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to loading up kindle ?

suzied Sat 26-Aug-17 16:51:43

I read a good one on holiday called the Missing Wife - a good holiday read

Pittcity Sat 26-Aug-17 17:00:19

Try Jane Tulloch, one of our gransnetters. I thoroughly enjoyed her first book about an Edinburgh department store, Our Best Attention and have just downloaded her latest.

Fishpieplease Sat 26-Aug-17 17:06:23

Our Souls at Night by Kent Hanuf isn't very long,easy to read but poignant and a life affirming read.

J52 Sat 26-Aug-17 17:25:51

I agree Rosie Thomas is a great writer, every book is different.
Iris and Ruby, set in Egypt, White, set on Everest, are two of my favourites. She does her research well. I haven't read them all yet!
I've just read The Trouble with Seep and Goats, it took me right back to the summer of 76!

Cherrytree59 Sat 26-Aug-17 17:42:18

suzied I enjoyed The Missing wife.

I have also read the last 2 GN book club books.
They both made good light reading.
The book I have just finished on my Kindle is also a good holiday read.
lost for words by
Stephanie Butland

Kittye Mon 28-Aug-17 20:54:28

I've now loaded up my kindle with most of the books suggested. Looking forward to a relaxing holiday. Thanks everyone.x

adaunas Tue 29-Aug-17 10:20:07

Dorothy Koomson The Friend.
Amanda Prowse The Art of Hiding and I'm just reading St Christopher and the Gravedigger by Catherine Cookson. Got it as a freebie, but I can't stop reading it.

SussexGirl60 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:21:49

And thanks from me too...in the same situation,?

pamdixon Tue 29-Aug-17 10:23:40

Anything by Katie Fforde - perfect holiday reading! I love her books

jeapurs54 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:24:30

I find Katie Fforde is a light hearted read sort of a bit romantic but not too slushy. Lisa Jewell is also quite good, the one I particularly liked was I found you. Freya North. If you like crime novels but are short chapters that you can pick up and put down I love James Patterson - Womens Murder Club. Hope you find this useful. Enjoy your Holiday smile

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:25:51

Rosie Thomas - The Potters Wheel is 99p today on Amazon kindle and is brilliant.

Lclaytonuk555 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:55:12

Just finished See you in September by Charity Norman and really enjoyed it. Liked her other books too.. have great holiday!

glynis1234 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:57:53

Jojo Moyes, Night Music. One plus One.
Rosie Thomas, all her books.
Jane Green, The Beach House.
David Nicholls, Us.

Some to be going on with!
These are some of my favourite authors.

Liz08 Tue 29-Aug-17 11:00:05

I have just finished "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" (yes that really is the name). Written in the form of letters in 1946 it tells of the hardships suffered in the Channel Islands during the occupation but its also funny with romance and history thrown in. I was so sorry to finish it.
The book was an international best seller about 8 years ago but somehow I missed it.......

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Aug-17 11:18:24

I enjoyed Anatomy of Love - quite relevant to our age group I felt.

grandmac Tue 29-Aug-17 11:20:00

The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman. Beautiful writing, wonderful story.

mags1234 Tue 29-Aug-17 11:42:47

I get loads of free or 99p books for I pad / kindle from Amazon . Book bub I think it's called. Fabulous, I can read a book a day on holiday!

devongirl Tue 29-Aug-17 11:46:25

Another vote for David Nicholls 'Us' from me, and Mark Haddon 'A Spot of Bother'.