Gransnet forums

Chat

Holiday reads

(69 Posts)
Lclaytonuk555 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:55:12

Just finished See you in September by Charity Norman and really enjoyed it. Liked her other books too.. have great holiday!

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:25:51

Rosie Thomas - The Potters Wheel is 99p today on Amazon kindle and is brilliant.

jeapurs54 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:24:30

I find Katie Fforde is a light hearted read sort of a bit romantic but not too slushy. Lisa Jewell is also quite good, the one I particularly liked was I found you. Freya North. If you like crime novels but are short chapters that you can pick up and put down I love James Patterson - Womens Murder Club. Hope you find this useful. Enjoy your Holiday smile

pamdixon Tue 29-Aug-17 10:23:40

Anything by Katie Fforde - perfect holiday reading! I love her books

SussexGirl60 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:21:49

And thanks from me too...in the same situation,?

adaunas Tue 29-Aug-17 10:20:07

Dorothy Koomson The Friend.
Amanda Prowse The Art of Hiding and I'm just reading St Christopher and the Gravedigger by Catherine Cookson. Got it as a freebie, but I can't stop reading it.

Kittye Mon 28-Aug-17 20:54:28

I've now loaded up my kindle with most of the books suggested. Looking forward to a relaxing holiday. Thanks everyone.x

Cherrytree59 Sat 26-Aug-17 17:42:18

suzied I enjoyed The Missing wife.

I have also read the last 2 GN book club books.
They both made good light reading.
The book I have just finished on my Kindle is also a good holiday read.
lost for words by
Stephanie Butland

J52 Sat 26-Aug-17 17:25:51

I agree Rosie Thomas is a great writer, every book is different.
Iris and Ruby, set in Egypt, White, set on Everest, are two of my favourites. She does her research well. I haven't read them all yet!
I've just read The Trouble with Seep and Goats, it took me right back to the summer of 76!

Fishpieplease Sat 26-Aug-17 17:06:23

Our Souls at Night by Kent Hanuf isn't very long,easy to read but poignant and a life affirming read.

Pittcity Sat 26-Aug-17 17:00:19

Try Jane Tulloch, one of our gransnetters. I thoroughly enjoyed her first book about an Edinburgh department store, Our Best Attention and have just downloaded her latest.

suzied Sat 26-Aug-17 16:51:43

I read a good one on holiday called the Missing Wife - a good holiday read

Kittye Sat 26-Aug-17 16:42:39

Thank you all so much. I'll have a read up of books suggested, I especially like the idea of 99p ones. I have read
'The Book Thief' and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to loading up kindle ?

Sunlover Sat 26-Aug-17 15:32:21

I loved The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah.

Imperfect27 Sat 26-Aug-17 10:54:53

I am never up to date, but recently I really enjoyed ' Small Great Things' by Jodie Piccoult - deals with issues of racism / white supremacy (topical!) and I loved 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak (WW2 setting) and a quirky and beautifully observed story called 'Perfect' by Rachel Joyce - about childhood into adolescence with a touching adult love story.

I hope you have a lovely holiday - deciding what to take as a read is a lovely part of it. x

harrigran Sat 26-Aug-17 09:57:36

For easy reading I like Monica McInerney, she has written lots of books and they are lovely stories of family life.

Teetime Sat 26-Aug-17 09:51:00

I've just read Lie with Me on Kindle - brilliant sorry don't have author's name to hand as I have deleted it now. It was a 99p one though I think.

Eglantine19 Sat 26-Aug-17 09:43:47

I've just discovered Rosie Thomas. The Kashmir Shawl was in Kindle's 99p list and it was very good. I got another of hers out of the library and couldn't put it down. She's my find of the year!

Kittye Sat 26-Aug-17 09:19:31

I'm off on holiday next week and want to load up my kindle. Any suggestions ? I'm looking for easy reading and open to most genre although not keen on sci-fi or fantasy.