Gransnet forums

Chat

So how did you know 'the one' was 'the one' ?

(50 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 17-Sep-17 08:40:09

Reminded of this story because of recent family events,

I knew my man was the long-term one for me after we had been together for a couple of months. DS2 was ill with a mental health problem. He had needed a visit from the crisis team and a doctor who had written a prescription that needed dispensing urgently for some calming meds.

It was the depths of winter in 2009. Snow and treacherous ice on the roads. DH willingly went to get the prescription in the dead of night and was gone for about 4 hours on the nightmare of all journeys - travelling through 4 different towns only to find several 'duty' chemists closed because of bad weather. Finally arrived back at my door at about 4 a..m. - he needed to be up for work at 4:30 ...

As he came into the hallway with the meds in his hand, my 'angry' DS was coming down the stairs and snarled ' I'm not taking them!' I held my breath ...

My man said in the kindest, calmest voice' That's ok. They are just there if you need them.'

Realised then and there I had struck gold and found someone I could trust and rely upon. Eight years on, married three, I am so glad I found my truly kind man.

ninathenana Sun 17-Sep-17 09:14:55

Lovely story imperfect and I agree he's sounds a 'keeper' smile
I think for me it was when after a few months of travelling up to London every other weekend and him coming to me in between , when he announced that for various reasons I wouldn't be seeing him for a month.
I remember locking myself in the bathroom at my mum n dads and crying buckets because I was going to miss him so much and the realisation that I love him.
Also I know that given your situation my H would have done the same as that's the sort of man he is.

Serkeen Sun 17-Sep-17 09:17:47

Wow ImperfectI see what you mean, amazing. your very lucky x but you sound such a lovely person too, so well matched I would say.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Sep-17 10:13:35

Sounds like you have a keeper imperfect. His reaction on getting indoors after the awful journey to get the meds was to his great credit. Wishing you both many happy years together.
As you say it certainly is quality time not necessarily quantity. Best wishes to you both and good luck with the job.

MargaretX Sun 17-Sep-17 11:04:53

We are at party and had knewn each other for three weeks. we kissed and WOW that was it. We neither of us mentioned it then but we both knew and that was now over 50 years ago.
If its real you know. this is not my story but in my English class a old man told me that when the war ended and Germany lay in ashes, he got to know that his loved one would be on a military train in Frankfurt and have a stop for 20 minutes.
He walked from South Germany to Frankfurt with no where to sleep or get something to eat. That is 300 miles. He waited at the station, saw his fiancee for 20 minutes and gave her a huge parcel of letters etc, and she gave him one , then she got on the train and left.
He told me because she had died and he was about to detroy all their letters.
It was hard to get back to English Grammar after that and I have never forgotten it.

If you have to ask yourself if this is Mr Right then he probably isn't.

paddyann Sun 17-Sep-17 11:09:42

we lived 40 odd miles apart so I stayed at his mothers at weekends and he would sometimes sleep on out settee if it got very late.On the nights he drove home he used to ring the phone 3 times to let me know he'd arrived.One night he got caught up in a conversation with his mum and forgot to ring .I was in floods of tears,terrified he'd had an accident and I realised then I didn't want to live without him..and I still dont.I believe if there was a choice about who would die first I'd say me ...I cant imagine life without him here .

Morgana Sun 17-Sep-17 11:59:12

Sometimes we just 'click' with people don't we? Yet I can think of several couples very happily married where it started with friendship and developed into something deeper. In fact I wonder if this is not a better basis for marriage.

kittylester Sun 17-Sep-17 12:13:04

I fancied the pants off him! blush

But, it turns out that he has been a brilliant husband and father. I must have known.

ninathenana Sun 17-Sep-17 12:25:41

A good place to start kitty grin

grannyactivist Sun 17-Sep-17 12:30:39

Because of our differences - I'm 10 years older and had three children and although he was very mature he was still just a boy about to go to college - I was very unsettled when I 'fell' for my now husband. It was a shock to feel like a teenager again and, although I'd been separated for a long time I was still newly divorced. So we discussed our relationship and made the decision that we would finish it to give both of us some thinking time, and we agreed not to have any contact for at least three months when he left to go to college. I wanted to be sure of my feelings for him and that I wasn't simply being 'needy' after my divorce; I also wanted to give him the opportunity to experience college life unfettered.

I managed my life very well during those three months, I didn't mope or get maudlin, but discovered that I deeply missed my best friend. When, the night before the three months was up he phoned me and asked me not to make him wait another day, I knew that I had found the love of my life.

Ilovecheese Sun 17-Sep-17 13:04:24

Same as you kitty everything else just fell into place.
We just knew that we would suit each other, and we do.

vampirequeen Sun 17-Sep-17 13:11:12

We'd arranged to meet outside of the Disney Store because he wasn't from Hull and it was easy to find. Also as an internet date I was very careful about meeting in a public place. When I saw him I thought he was gorgeous. We went for a coffee and gorgeous turned into even more gorgeous. Then he suggested we went for a walk. I let him take the lead and I was hooked on him when instead of turning right towards the shops he turned left and we walked on the pier and riverside. Then we kissed and my heart was lost. That day was also the end of my Jezebel period lol.

mrsmopp Sun 17-Sep-17 14:52:24

We both knew very quickly. We were young, yes, but never had any doubts. He's great company and fun to be with. He was always reliable and worked hard to better ourselves.
And nobody else would put up with me for 52 years!!

Imperfect27 Sun 17-Sep-17 14:59:55

I love the film 'When Harry Met Sally' because of the 'couples cameos' where they sit side by side on a sofa and say how they first met. The one that always sticks in my mind the most is the 'scouting' woman who says she could tell her husband was a 'good melon' as soon as they met: 'You just know.'

I do think that we do 'just know' fairly quickly - amazingly some feel it straight away, others, more cautiously perhaps look for confirmation 'signs.'

My 'winter's night story' was my confirmation. But on our first date - which was meant to be a 'safe' cup of coffee - rather like vampirequeen, - having met 'blind' and in a safe place, we then spent the day together, more coffee, a walk by the sea, a first [foot-popping) kiss and I even invited myself to accompany him to a bbq which was being given in his honour that evening as it was his birthday the next day. I guess I just didn't want that first date to end ...

Cherrytree59 Sun 17-Sep-17 18:14:51

Not long after our meeting I had to attend a 12 week training course.

After I had been there a couple of days, I received the letter he had promised to write.
I then received a letter every day until it was time to return home.

We got engaged and the rest is history

M0nica Sun 17-Sep-17 19:22:19

Never had that sudden 'just know' feeling. We met at University were friends for 6 years and then everything fell into place in a few weeks. The only people surprised by our engagement were us.

We were both dinghy sailors and for the 18 months before we got engaged I was his regular crew. Any one with any knowledge of dinghy sailing will know the moment someone (regardless of gender) steps into a sailing dinghy and takes hold of the tiller they become a ranting raving paranoiac dictator, especially if you do a lot of racing. Having withstood 18 months of roaring and shouting without ever pushing him overboard. I decided that if I could survive that I could survive marrying him.

We are still happily married nearly 50 years later, so I was right.

Greyduster Sun 17-Sep-17 20:25:46

He was a blind date, and I was not sure I liked him at first. We didn't seem to have a lot in common, but he had a lovely dark brown voice with a hint of his native Welsh, and he had (still has) lovely manners. We were both in the Army at the time, and every time we were apart for any length of time it was a wrench (there was more than a bit of sexual chemistry involved, I have to say!). Then suddenly he was being sent to Borneo for a year serving with the Gurkhas during the Malayan emergency, and I was offered my dream posting - Hong Kong with a promotion - for three years, and the strain on our relationship would have been enormous. So he asked me to marry him and I said yes, without a thought. I turned down my promotion and Hong Kong. He went off to the jungle and I marked time - still serving - until he got a posting where I could resign my service and join him; in actuality, not quite a year, as the emergency ended and he was posted to Singapore. That was all fifty one years ago. I loved my time in the Army but I have never regretted the decision I made. He's a good man and we've had a good life - and the spark is still there!

mumofmadboys Sun 17-Sep-17 21:52:07

We met in a hostel for the homeless! My DH to be was working there and I volunteered there as a student. We started going out and were engaged six months later.

LadyGracie Sun 17-Sep-17 22:06:36

Both very shy we looked at each other daily for 6 months across a swimming pool in Malaysia. 2 days after my 18th birthday I was at a party, he'd had a couple of drinks, spoke to me and that was it we've been together ever since. 48 years.

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Sep-17 22:18:47

Imperfect27 That is one good man.

downtoearth Mon 18-Sep-17 09:05:40

I was working in a transport office with the transport manager who had a heart attack while I was there, after the drama finished I was very upset and shocked bought back memories of similar happening to my dad..the responsibility if doing his job as well as mine was huge as I wasnt that experienced...my OH a driver came in and calmly took a lot if jobs off of me without even be asked or told what needed doing, we got together and frowned on by many as he was 20 years my junior...we moved in together and if I needed any more proof of the good person he is ...my daughter died suddenly leaving my 4 yr old GD she was to be in my care...I said he had a decision to make as U wasnt letting E go anywhere...he decided there and then he was in for the long haul,he has been my rock through some very difficult times,we just fit with each other he is my soul mate friend lover and I just knew we where ti be a couple from the first day I met him at work

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Sep-17 09:48:58

Found myself describing him as a significant other to a friend of a friend...then realising we had only actually had one date! Breaking my leg in three places between first and second dates and he didn't do a runner grin

He's a good 'un

quEEEniE Mon 18-Sep-17 10:17:44

The 12 years between us has never seemed important, even my 2 (dysfunctional) children and 3 grandchildren have never fazed him. After 32 years this man is still the love of my life.

Skweek1 Mon 18-Sep-17 10:18:03

Number 1 was a college friend - we used to have coaches laid on for concerts and on the way back from one such, he asked if I minded him sitting next to me. His arm went round me, we went back to his hall of residence and we found that we were inseparable - we loved one another for the next 20 years. The other one was at OU Maths Summer School, at the "Getting to know you" party we discovered that we were getting the point of the games at the sime time. He invited me back for coffee - the following morning, awash with coffee/tea, I went for a shower, returned to take him to breakfast and 36 years later we're still together!

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 10:26:31

Skweek 'bold and impetuous woman! I am cut from the same clothe I think. grin